Outside Bends

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone!
I wanted to start a conversation about outside bends and situations where there would be gold found in them. Aside from the river shifting over time.. What situations have you all encountered where there was good gold on an outside bend? By that, I mean... What conditions were present in the river or creek? I have read of situations where the river hits a bedrock face causing a very sharp bend and due to the rolling effect of the water hitting the bedrock would deposit gold on the inside bend just past the bedrock. Attached is an example (River is flowing from the right to left of the picture). We found a ton of flood gold where the yellow dots are and suspect there to be some chunky stuff where the red arrows point but have yet to test the area.

Please take a moment to share your experiences here.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
oidium45

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
out of curiosity, what was the vertical distribution of the flood gold ?

It went down to roughly 1ft at its deepest point where a thin red clay layer was hit. The area had good flooding with very fast moving water recently.

OP
OP
oidium45

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this image on Gold Fever Prospecting's website. It is one example of what I was talking about.
66744074_332373231051382_5755903518405820416_n.png

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is a very cool drawing. Any idea what the original source of it is?

According to the website:
Excerpted from "Let's get Physical", by James C. McNeill (copyright © 1995)

It always surprises me when people publish copyrighted work even though it's clearly stated on what they copy. It's kind of like stealing your neighbor's monogram necklace and then wearing it to their party. Stupidity or arrogance? I'm not even gonna guess. :BangHead:

I've always made it a point to enforce my copyrights. Triple damages is a good incentive! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
oidium45

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't even see that hiding at the bottom. Worth looking into further!

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
According to the website:

It always surprises me when people publish copyrighted work even though it's clearly stated on what they copy. It's kind of like stealing your neighbor's monogram necklace and then wearing it to their party. Stupidity or arrogance? I'm not even gonna guess. :BangHead:

I've always made it a point to enforce my copyrights. Triple damages is a good incentive! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

CD, you seem to know so I will ask: what are the limits of the 'fair use' exemption ?
the 'quoter' did attribute, how much did he copy ? (I've not looked.)

you will not get triple damages if the quote is within 'fair use' (a defined ferm)

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
ok, looked at the site; obviously "fair use".
Clay Diggins, please get up to speed on 'fair use', I will help

from https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/fair-use-rule-copyright-material-30100.html

Under the "fair use" defense, another author may make limited use of the original author's work without asking permission. Pursuant to 17 U.S. Code § 107, certain uses of copyrighted material "for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright."
As a matter of policy, fair use is based on the belief that the public is entitled to freely use portions of copyrighted materials for purposes of commentary and criticism. The fair use privilege is perhaps the most significant limitation on a copyright owner's exclusive rights. If you write or publish, you need a basic understanding of what does and does not constitute fair use.

and

• Nonprofit educational uses: When teachers photocopy limited portions of written works for classroom use, this is normally acceptable. An English teacher would be permitted to copy a few pages of a book to show to the class as part of a lesson plan. (Note that she would not be permitted to photocopy the entire book).

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's funny Bill. Besides holding thousands of copyrights I was involved in writing the laws on Copyright. Publishing a copyrighted article on a commercial website without modification is not a "fair use" by any standard.

Read more from Richard Stim the author of the NOLO article you cherry picked from:
In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work.

Heavy Pans

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
CD obviously you know more than I (more experienced, etc), feel free to correct me

my reading would indicate to me that 1) attribution was made, 2) the quote was limited, and 3) the use was not for profit (informative)
my "cherry picking" was simply quoting those pierces that seemed relevant
you seem to be suggesting that RS did not intend that which I understood, feel free to show how fair use does not apply

your quote is selective and incomplete; 5 typical uses were listed in the reference I gave, of which you listed only 3

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Please read the link provided Bill. It will help you understand just what Rich was writing in his Nola articles. Richard's a smart guy with a lot of experience in copyright law. Pay particular attention to his emphasis on how the use must be "transformative". I'm sure you will see his, and my, point about unfair use.

Heavy Pans

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
I read it, and my opinion re the quoted part of the book on the website is the same: fair use

(CD, was an engr for 30 yrs whose work product was written; the last 10 yrs as an expert for attys, I am familiar with fair use at the working level. I'm pretty sure that if the author were to complain the quoted excerpt would be taken down, but why would he do so? The publicity from that page with 2 attributions will result in additional sales of the author's book (and why the author would never win any damages - IMO).

OP, sorry for the digression

OP
OP
oidium45

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any thoughts on the previous subject? [emoji1787]

OP
OP
oidium45

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
few, you asked for experience and mine with float gold is so erratic as to be meaningless
I was favorably impressed also with the info on the webpage you quoted
That is essentially my issue. Every time I feel like I have it figured out.. The river proves me wrong [emoji17]

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
that all looks looks like a great place.
good luck brad

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very simple the pic in question is only good for one gravel bar not for the thousands of other gravel bars out there, all are different and only by testing each will you learn, some will share the same characteristics others won't, that is the fun of mining, no river is the same. Read books but get out in the field and create your own experiences and knowledge. Always remember that as river changes every year so does the way to mine it. Last point, books on historical knowledge of where you mine are a must read but books that tell you how to mine take with a grain of salt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread