Buying a place west......Maybe - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Buying a place west......Maybe

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    875 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    There is lots of public land out west. Basically unlimited camping opportunities in the mountains as long as your willing to move camp to a new location from time to time. There are some areas, a person could probably camp all summer without being bothered.
    Where can one do as you say. I live out west, please don't mislead people.

us
    Dec 2016
    Colorado
    65 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    Legally you have to move every 2 weeks and there's a clause about camping X amount of days per X amount of days but if one was to go from state to BLM to USFS land that might be a loop hole. There's lots of Utah and Nevada you could probably get away with miscounting how many days you were camping. There are tons of camping opportunities that don't cost a dime out west but we are full haha.

Is this a full time deal or just spending some of the year at your western property?

Northern Nevada has a lot of remoteness, winters are cold but not horrible and it warms up during the day. Eureka County has 0 zoning laws and lots of mining history. Not sure how much visible gold but Rye Patch isn't that far from the north end of the county. I spent 2 years there and you could really get out and not see people if you wanted to, I can't say the same for most of Colorado.

If you are planning on an RV I'd look into zoning for the area you want to buy. A lot of counties will let you build a shed under 100 or 200 square feet without a permit. You see some properties for sale with a 96 square foot tough shed on them and it looks like $3,5000 would build you a really nice shed. I'd be worried about leaving an RV unattended in the mountains for a while, windows are really tempting to shoot out and old RV's don't always do great covered in 3'+ of snow all winter long. Also some counties are starting to crack down on "long term camping" and "RV Storage" on remote properties. You don't really see many RV's left on empty lots

Colorado has some land the size you want in your price range but most of it doesn't have a tree for 5 miles and you can find smaller parcels in your price range in a lot of spots. Check with the county you are looking in beforehand, a lot of the cheaper lots have septic requirements which might even be required to leave an RV on it. Colorado is really crowded anything within 2 hours of Denver or near a tourist area is busy. I can't stand the I70 corridor any more, traffic is dumb more times than not on I70 and the 4x4 trails are packed. The Hartsel, Como, Fairplay, Terryall, Jefferson area has very few trees and some rolling hills for cover, the wind blows like crazy, winters can be brutal but you still have a lot of nice days, it was known gold producing area and land is cheap.

Here's the rules for Park County http://parkco.us/DocumentCenter/View...ingRegs?bidId= I think you are going to run into similar rules for most counties.
    Lanny in AB likes this.

Mar 2016
    2983 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    Maybe you need to get out more?

Having driven by your river claim many times this year....I could point out four summer mining camps within 10 miles of your claim.

At one of them the same truck has been parked along the road for the last 3 months. They are camped below the road in plain sight.

My point wasn't that you can camp along the main road for weeks at a time, but that there are hundreds of thousands of miles of remote logging roads where a person could camp for a week or two at a time and not be bothered. Just in my county alone there are 2.6 million acres of public land. I know I could spend the summer camping at various areas.

Heck I think I could check into public camp grounds, giving them my license plate numbers and still camp all summer without anyone batting an eye.

Sure there are policies intended to solve problem campers. They seem to use discretion as long as people are being respectful and not wearing their welcome out.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jul 15, 2019 at 10:43 AM.
    Jim in Idaho and Kray Gelder like this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Mar 2016
    2983 times
    There are places in the forest where if you broke down...you better not wait around to flag down a passing motorist...because you might be waiting till hunting season before you see someone.

Lots of very sparsely populated public lands out west.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8B5D6D53-D611-42FE-B750-CC5EA29A8D3A.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	645.0 KB 
ID:	1733089
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11876 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Doesn't the fourteen days start the first time you see a ranger

us
    Jan 2012
    Chickasha,Oklahoma
    1281 times
    Prospecting

Buying a place west......Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    Doesn't the fourteen days start the first time you see a ranger
    Yes it does but only if he sees me
    BillA, Goldwasher, qmikep and 1 others like this.
    http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/GeologyOK/GetMap

http://www.mylandmatters.org/

"If the Gold dont care neither do I"
    Shawn Pomrenke

4" Proline 2" Jobe combo 2.5" Keene 2.5" subbie Drywasher Spiral Wheel Minelab Detector

Aug 2015
    1087 times
    If you're on your own ACTIVE mining claim, and working it, there is no time limit.
    Clay Diggins and Goldwasher like this.

Mar 2016
    2983 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mikep691 View Post
    If you're on your own ACTIVE mining claim, and working it, there is no time limit.
    It's not quite that simple is it?
    Isn't there a long list of conditions that have to be met?
    Jim in Idaho likes this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11876 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    It's not quite that simple is it?
    Isn't there a long list of conditions that have to be met?
    hmmm, can you find the long list of conditions?
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10244 times
    Prospecting
    Two conditions.

In 2008 the Forest Service published, in the Federal Register, their take on miners staying on the land while mining. This was prompted by the McClure decision in favor of miners.

The Federal Register is the official record of the federal agencies and provides surety should a Forest agent try some hokey magic clown dance by trying to tell you that you are not allowed to stay where you are mining for more than 14 days - or whatever the chota thinks is a good number to scare you with.

From the Federal Register "Clarification for the Appropriate Use of a Criminal or a Civil Citation To Enforce Mineral Regulations":
    Reasonably incidental residential use of NFS lands by persons conducting locatable mineral prospecting, exploration, mining, or processing that will not cause significant disturbance of NFS surface resources does not require prior submission of a notice of intent to conduct operations or approval of a plan of operations.

An operator, consequently, is not required to notify the Forest Service prior to conducting locatable mineral operations which involve occupancy of NFS lands providing that those operations meet two conditions:
    • (1) The occupancy is reasonably incidental to locatable mineral prospecting, exploration, mining, or processing and
    • (2) those proposed (or ongoing) operations, including such reasonably incidental occupancy, cumulatively will not cause (or are not causing) significant disturbance of NFS surface resources.

Moreover, when occupancy is reasonably incidental to prospecting, exploration, mining, and processing operations, then the level of surface disturbance, not the duration of the occupancy, will determine whether a Notice of Intent or a Plan of Operations is required.
    Go ahead and camp or spend the season prospecting or mining. No requirement to own a claim or get a permit. Anyone who tells you different is just blowing smoke up yer keester - even if they are wearing a badge.

Heavy Pans
    Last edited by Clay Diggins; Jul 16, 2019 at 03:51 PM.

Mar 2016
    2983 times
    That covers USFS.
    Then there is BLM.

This is an article I was reading recently.

https://www.americanminingrights.com...-is-that-true/

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10244 times
    Prospecting
    That covers USFS.
    Then there is BLM.

This is an article I was reading recently.

https://www.americanminingrights.com...-is-that-true/
    Despite Kirby's interpretation of Federal agency code the Forest Service has made it clear what their intent is. That's why I posted the actual Federal Register link to help people understand that whatever is being posted on the internet is BS.

From the Federal Register:
    Reasonably incidental residential use of NFS lands by persons conducting locatable mineral prospecting, exploration, mining, or processing that will not cause significant disturbance of NFS surface resources does not require prior submission of a notice of intent to conduct operations or approval of a plan of operations.
    You can take the Federal Register notice to court as absolute evidence of the agencies position on the issue. Kirby's article, and others, are not admissible as evidence. The Forest Service and BLM are required to adhere to the law - not how AMRA or Kirby interpret what they have read.

Heavy Pans

Aug 2015
    1087 times
    I rest my case. I can stay on my claim, 24/7/365 (I'll take Feb 29th off).
    arizau and Goldwasher like this.

Mar 2016
    2983 times
    I knew clay would follow up.

I'm going to have to look up the case here locally where the USFS was in a lawsuit with a man that parked his RV on his claim. I seem to remember it went to appeals court and gov. won. Of coarse each case is different
    Goldwasher likes this.

us
    Northern California

Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    4536 times
    A#1 - see you are from Traverse City so yes you do have some 'country' to live in and it sure closes down in the winter with the white stuff, but even that
    can be lived in if a person does it right. I came out of Detroit when is was 12.5 years of age and in 1961 arrived on the San Francisco peninsula and
    heard about this canyon with a river in it out of Sacramento. I hiked down the mountain for the first time in Feb of 1963, dumb as dirt I was but I was
    at least strong so I made it in and out.

Yes the mountains have a certain allure to them, at least for some. Plain beautiful, filled with adventures and they hold such secrets!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5144.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	4.50 MB 
ID:	1733640 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5109.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	1733641

So I've been hiking in here for over 50 years though this year did not work out well for me, bad shoulder. Yes some mountains, and some water (with fish) and some weather
    and that should about do it for anyone!

Best of luck with your quest...................63bkpkr
    Last edited by 63bkpkr; Jul 16, 2019 at 08:03 PM.
    Lanny in AB and Goldwasher like this.
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links