Buying a place west......Maybe
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Buying a place west......Maybe

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    Eagle Spectrum, Equinox 600, Carrot, LeTrap, Moby, Darby
    481 times
    Other Peoples Trash

Buying a place west......Maybe

Reckon a guy wanted to buy a small, cheaper place close to, or up in the mountains. Somewhere kinda peaceful, pretty, where the sky looks like a pearl in the morn.

A place to remain vacant, just a campsite. No utilities needed, just a driveway, pop a tent or park am RV.

Somewhere decent gold might be found, critters be plentiful for huntin and fishin. Things to do, sights to see.

Not too remote really, and ain't gotta have it all on the spot, but maybe within a 50 mile drive or so to a mid-size town, campin and whatnot.

Kinda a retirement or vacation destination.

Thinkin on Montana and Colorado.

Anyone got any fun ideas?
    Kray Gelder likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    6560 times
    Metal Detecting
    I was looking at land prices in Wyoming and Colorado, near the mountains, for a while the other day. Prices are up there. Of course, for some, money is not an issue. Use Zillow, pick a town. They show a lot of listings.
    gunsil, russau and 63bkpkr like this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    481 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    After thinkin some more, maybe a warmer winter climate could be friendly as the bones grow older.....Maybe arizona too?
    3cylbill likes this.

A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    481 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    I was looking at land prices in Wyoming and Colorado, near the mountains, for a while the other day. Prices are up there. Of course, for some, money is not an issue. Use Zillow, pick a town. They show a lot of listings.
    Well, money's always an issue, but I ain't lookin for extravagance. Just an Oh-Zee out near the mountain country so I ain't gotta pay per night, and I can stay as long as I want

Maybe 5-10 acres minimum, $30,000 tops. I know that's plenty possible here in Michigan, but I already got a few pieces of that pie.

Comin into some coin beginning of next year that would make a nice fat down payment on a place like that.
    Kray Gelder likes this.

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    2774 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I think in AZ you could get a dilapidated old trailer home on a postage stamp lot and not much more for the thirty grand. Lots of folks want to live there or at least winter there.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

Charter Member
    us
    Period Six Mining and Exploration, LLC

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4311 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by A#1 View Post
    After thinkin some more, maybe a warmer winter climate could be friendly as the bones grow older.....Maybe arizona too?
    Depends on where your looking here in Arizona.
    1637 and TerryC like this.
    Mining is how I make my living. I turn mountains into dust on a daily basis.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4311 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsil View Post
    I think in AZ you could get a dilapidated old trailer home on a postage stamp lot and not much more for the thirty grand. Lots of folks want to live there or at least winter there.
    Not even close anymore. Used to be that way but not anymore. Too many chuckleheads from Commiefornia moving here.

us
    George

Jun 2019
    Ak,Tn
    Minelab, Fisher
    458 times
    Prospecting
    Land is not getting any cheaper for sure, I used to think about Yarnell, but never got further then looking a little....

A#1
    us
    El Supremo!!

Feb 2018
    Traverse City, Michigan
    481 times
    Other Peoples Trash
    Well, right now it's only looking around a bit, but seriously toying the idea.

Truth is it's a pension buyout, about $15000. While I SHOULD reinvest it in my 401k, I've kinda chosen rewirement over retirement. I'm kinda already retired, I just work during the week.

I'm 44, kinda live a meager life, not a lot of expenses, I own a place on a lake, I own a house on 20 acres of hunting land. I live in northern Michigan already, I find plenty of fun right around home.

BUT.....we went to Yellowstone a few years back, loved the mountain areas, would enjoy prospecting a more fruitful area, and there's a whole new world out thatta way to enjoy vacation style for quite some years ahead.

I kinda thought using the $15k to get a nice chunk of a place out west, and a motorhome sounded like a fine addition to my rewirement.

And yes, I do think that's enough to get me a good start. I don't want a giant new motorhome.....looking at a small $3500 94 toyota I can rebuild. And cheaper parcels of land DO seem somewhat available to use as simple a parki ng spot.

Just need to narrow down some areas that would be nicely central to some fun......with gold prospecting being at the top of the list.

gb
    Virgin Hunter

Apr 2013
    VIRGIN ISLANDS
    ACE 250 AT Pro SEA HUNTER 2 Garrett Pro Pointer Ghost Amphibian Headphones Vibra Probe 580 Vibra Tector 730
    1732 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    russau and et1955 like this.
    It's OK to be disappointed AFTER you dug it - as long as you never forget; that BEFORE you dug it, it had the POTENTIAL to be life changing!

Mar 2016
    2984 times
    There is lots of public land out west. Basically unlimited camping opportunities in the mountains as long as your willing to move camp to a new location from time to time. There are some areas, a person could probably camp all summer without being bothered.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    Michael

Apr 2019
    Mansfield, TX
    Land Ranger Pro, Fisher TW-6 2 box
    8 times
    Ya them Commiefornia coming to Texas trying to change it like the ****hole they left. Makes me sick.

Aug 2015
    1087 times
    Lots of land can be had in Northern Nevada. Winters can be chilly, but tolerable. Tough to buy land that has mineral rights anywhere these days, but you buy a piece, then claim your playground, nearby.

us
    Jeff

Jun 2019
    RI
    55 times
    Prospecting
    If you can do it, go for it. I wish I could.

Charter Member
    us

Aug 2010
    Southeast Arizona
    4311 times
    Prospecting
    BLM and USFS regs state 14 continuous days max in one place. Gets a little different in you have an active claim and your camping on it.
    Lanny in AB likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links