NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone!

It's been quite some time since I've been on the forums. I took an extended break from the site and hadn't been out to prospect much but I'm back to prospecting regularly and plan on making videos for the first time 8-) Today I went out and did some sniping at an old spot. Didn't get an amazing amount but I was just happy to get something decent on camera for my first video :laughing7: hope you guys enjoy

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lb3tmFcpkE&feature=youtu.be" target="_blank">

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet. If you don't mind me asking. Did that come off your mining claim, private property, or open public ground?
I always find it interesting to see what percentage of the gold found (especially by sniping) comes from non-claimed public lands vs private property/mining claims.

Also without giving away your location. What river or area of N. Ca. are you tromping around?

Northern California means different things to different people ;)
Assuming the American River?

I'm asking this prior to watching the video.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It came from non claimed public ground. Yes you are correct, it is a part of the American River.

Sweet. If you don't mind me asking. Did that come off your mining claim, private property, or open public ground?
I always find it interesting to see what percentage of the gold found (especially by sniping) comes from non-claimed public lands vs private property/mining claims.

Also without giving away your location. What river or area of N. Ca. are you tromping around?

Northern California means different things to different people ;)
Assuming the American River?

I'm asking this prior to watching the video.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It came from non claimed public ground. Yes you are correct, it is a part of the American River.

Nice looking river. Never been there. I couldn't tell from the video...were you snorkeling or did you have air?
Sorry for all the questions.

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was using a snorkel. I would have spent a lot more time in the water if I had air. I sniped all reachable bedrock then switched to crevicing when I ran out of places to look. The bedrock dropped off very fast in most spots 6-10+ feet down so there was a narrow strip along the edge that was shallow enough to snipe with the equipment I had. Questions are good! That's what makes sites like this great. Can talk to others and learn from each other's experiences.

Nice looking river. Never been there. I couldn't tell from the video...were you snorkeling or did you have air?
Sorry for all the questions.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using a snorkel. I would have spent a lot more time in the water if I had air. I sniped all reachable bedrock then switched to crevicing when I ran out of places to look. The bedrock dropped off very fast in most spots 6-10+ feet down so there was a narrow strip along the edge that was shallow enough to snipe with the equipment I had. Questions are good! That's what makes sites like this great. Can talk to others and learn from each other's experiences.

Always wanted to go down with a little weight and some air and spend some time at the bottom of some of those holes. Just don't know if I have it in me. Never liked diving deeper than 4-5 feet. Have plenty of legal spots to do it.

Heard numerous accounts of gold coins being dredged up back when it was legal.
Never know what might be jammed into the bedrock.

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've always wanted to as well. I'd just be concerned with the current and not having somebody to spot me while I'm down there! Definitely opens up the potential to reach spots others haven't in quite some time.

Always wanted to go down with a little weight and some air and spend some time at the bottom of some of those holes. Just don't know if I have it in me. Never liked diving deeper than 4-5 feet. Have plenty of legal spots to do it.

Heard numerous accounts of gold coins being dredged up back when it was legal.
Never know what might be jammed into the bedrock.

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I was sniping on the American river watershed this past weekend in wild and scenic designated areas. Did pretty good -Similar to NuggetN8, the bedrock drops off pretty steep in most areas... however I did find a spot where the river flattens and I could access some bedrock toward the middle of the river (IT WAS LOADED). Got about 3-4 grams in 2 hours and plan on getting back out there this weekend to get some more! I also found one of those Chinese coins with the square cut out the middle of it... unfortunately I damaged it as I tried to get it out of the crack it was stuck in...That's what I get for rushing!

Sniping is my preferred method of mining this time of year. It's too damn hot to be panning outside, especially with a long hike to cap the day.

Good luck out there NuggetN8!!!

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like a great spot! Sniping is very nice during the summer with high temps. Very lucky find on the coin! I haven't found one of those while sniping before. Thanks for sharing the story and good luck to you too!!

I was sniping on the American river watershed this past weekend in wild and scenic designated areas. Did pretty good -Similar to NuggetN8, the bedrock drops off pretty steep in most areas... however I did find a spot where the river flattens and I could access some bedrock toward the middle of the river (IT WAS LOADED). Got about 3-4 grams in 2 hours and plan on getting back out there this weekend to get some more! I also found one of those Chinese coins with the square cut out the middle of it... unfortunately I damaged it as I tried to get it out of the crack it was stuck in...That's what I get for rushing!

Sniping is my preferred method of mining this time of year. It's too damn hot to be panning outside, especially with a long hike to cap the day.

Good luck out there NuggetN8!!!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wild and Scenic doesn't mean it can't have claims on it. If your finding good gold, maybe look at filing a claim? I'm actually amazed there is any stretch of a river like that which wouldn't already be claimed if it had bedrock (much less chunky gold).
Wilderness area..I could understand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's actually quite a bit of land around the American River that is public but not claimable. Most of the non claimable public areas are becoming extremely strict on what tools you're allowed to use though "Hands and pans" only becoming a common rule. So basically not even a shovel or scraping tool to clean crevices out are allowed. Which is why I love sniping for those areas. If anyone asks you're snorkeling and looking at the fish :laughing7:

Wild and Scenic doesn't mean it can't have claims on it. If your finding good gold, maybe look at filing a claim? I'm actually amazed there is any stretch of a river like that which wouldn't already be claimed if it had bedrock (much less chunky gold).

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's actually quite a bit of land around the American River that is public but not claimable. Most of the non claimable public areas are becoming extremely strict on what tools you're allowed to use though "Hands and pans" only becoming a common rule. So basically not even a shovel or scraping tool to clean crevices out are allowed. Which is why I love sniping for those areas. If anyone asks you're snorkeling and looking at the fish :laughing7:

I see. Lucky/unlucky for you.

That's what the people tell my dad when their sniping his mining claims. Just looking at the fish (with sniping tools hanging off their belts).

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There are withdrawls due to management plans

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Land Matters has created a Wild and Scenic Rivers map. Click for information on any segment of the designated rivers and you will get a link to the Congressional Act that created that segment. Look around your favorite river segment and read the law provided and I think you will be surprised at just what can be claimed.

Better than just guessing.

Heavy Pans

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Land Matters has created a Wild and Scenic Rivers map. Click for information on any segment of the designated rivers and you will get a link to the Congressional Act that created that segment. Look around your favorite river segment and read the law provided and I think you will be surprised at just what can be claimed.

Better than just guessing.

Heavy Pans

Another situation that can occur is the existence of claims which pre-date the action which affected the ability to file new claims.

Nothing is ever simple.

Your gathering a lot of useful information together in one spot.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

If you could file a claim on the part of the river he is talking about you would need to post an armed guard to defend your mineral rights as there is a lot of mining activity there.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you could file a claim on the part of the river he is talking about you would need to post an armed guard to defend your mineral rights as there is a lot of mining activity there.
I can understand that. I've seen private property get destroyed from shirtbags locally. The owners just seem to give up.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NuggetN8
Something that would be interesting is to use a waterproof carrot detector and search for pockets of lead.
Should be some gold too.

I wonder if the Falcon detector can work for sniping?

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have an SDC 2300 that would work for that. Not extremely compact for sniping but it can go underwater. I just don't have underwater headphones.

NuggetN8
Something that would be interesting is to use a waterproof carrot detector and search for pockets of lead.
Should be some gold too.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NuggetN8
Should be some gold too.

It works on dry cracks the probe is waterproof.

I wouldn't bring mine near water for fear of it falling in.

The trick to sniping is letting the water do the work. it isn't hard or slow going to move from crack to crack fanning scraping and puffing.

Using a pinpointer and passing over cracks that don't give a tone. Is a sure fire way to leave gold in cracks.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread