Other
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the fishing guys and the local beach goers in FL use the wide tired carts. I have one looks like a kid's wagon only larger and has tires that are plastic and about 6" wide. You can get those wagons at Walmart. They fold up for the trunk

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In sand you'll want the wider tires, as those skinny ones will
just sink in and make life even harder.

Have you looked at any of the wheelchair batteries? Don't know
how big of a pump you're running, but I have one that lasts for
hours, and is about half the weight.

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Gorilla wagon. Not on a beach but gets pulled thru and over a lot of unfriendly terrain including deep sand. The upside of wagon is it also can carry lot of other stuff. Carrying such a heavy battery the steel mesh cart is best can strap battery down so it don't slide around and crush your other stuff.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely something with very wide tires.

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, thanks guys.

I'll probably be running two 1100gph bilge pumps. I already have the battery, and would rather invest money elsewhere. It's either that or a 20ah, but I'd rather have the larger.

With any luck I'll be able to get the truck close enough to where I set up the sluice that power won't be any issue at all. I could just run an extension cord, maybe even run a larger sump pump. But I can't guarantee that and I want to be prepared for possibilities

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think this would be good:
EvxZmxM.jpg

I suggest 4 wheels (not the 2-wheeled beach carts). The reason is that with two wheels you spend a surprising amount of energy just balancing the cart (I learned this the hard way trying to use a deer cart to move dredge equipment down a rocky creek).

I now have this gorilla cart for the rocky creek, but I will warn you that it's very heavy. I have trouble getting it up on top of my SUV by myself:
oX63SZg.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1738243

I suggest 4 wheels (not the 2-wheeled beach carts). The reason is that with two wheels you spend a surprising amount of energy just balancing the cart (I learned this the hard way trying to use a deer cart to move dredge equipment down a rocky creek).

I now have this gorilla cart for the rocky creek, but I will warn you that it's very heavy. I have trouble getting it up on top of my SUV by myself:
View attachment 1738244

The fold-up one seems perfect for beach mining. Wide wheels and a three point stance for stability. I think it has 150# capacity or the one I looked at did. Plenty to haul equipment, a bucket or two of feed sand and to haul water for a recirc unit.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to use an electric powered wheel barrow years ago to get to an old dredge spot because it went down the deer trail well. Should work well for you and let you haul pay dirt too as you need it

ratled

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gorilla cart is what I have my eyes on right now. It's big enough to haul the tub, sluice, battery, and solar panels. The tires are plastic and not rubber, and I'd want to change those.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about balloon tires like on wheel chairs?
(Google "home made beach wheel chair".)

Attachments

• Balloon_tires.jpg
    Balloon_tires.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 44

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gorilla cart is what I have my eyes on right now. It's big enough to haul the tub, sluice, battery, and solar panels. The tires are plastic and not rubber, and I'd want to change those.

I have a Gorilla cart very similar to the one pictured above. It came with rubber tires I purchased mine at lowes.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Currently the thing I use for hauling gear and feed sand on the beach is a mortar tub with a rope attached. Loop the rope around my waist and pull it like a sled.

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Currently the thing I use for hauling gear and feed sand on the beach is a mortar tub with a rope attached. Loop the rope around my waist and pull it like a sled.

I've looked at ice fishing sleds which are like mortar tubs.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OP might want to look into solar panels with enough wattage to keep the battery up. Run a battery down too far and it becomes a boat anchor. Solar can let you run a smaller battery. A good system is the Harbor Freight, or the Coleman/Sun Force one. Big drawback is the weight of the panels, and another reason for a cart!

OP
OP
A#1

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
The OP might want to look into solar panels with enough wattage to keep the battery up. Run a battery down too far and it becomes a boat anchor. Solar can let you run a smaller battery. A good system is the Harbor Freight, or the Coleman/Sun Force one. Big drawback is the weight of the panels, and another reason for a cart!
Honestly.....I just want to make it through my first Superior trip by whatever means I can, spending as little money as possible until I can get a feel for the game and come up with my way.

If I can get the truck close enough, 100ft or so, I'd just run off of it in some form. Whether AC or DC I don't really know yet. I could also move a beach battery to fast charge in the truck. The 42 gallon gas tank will supply a lot of electricity however I choose to use it.

All yet to be seen I guess.

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's my setup when at cape disappointment.

IMG_1005.JPG IMG_1417.JPG IMG_1418.JPG IMG_1215.JPG IMG_1427.JPG 57594492055__E8991DCF-855E-46EE-8DA3-888030E23569.JPG

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1738243

View attachment 1738244
YOULL BE SURPRISED USING ONE OF THESE - i had one to drag my hookah system to the water
and that is what i ended up doing - sand at a few spots was super soft and my marine battery was 70 lbs
the unit itself was 70- lbs and then add on my other equip. it sank in halfway up my tires
and it ended up being a "drag" - i was worn out before even getting in the water and then after
hunting for 2-3 hrs ...i had to make the trek back to the parking lot .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions