Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would make gold worthless not the other way around. It may be worth that much in space but flood the gold market and it will tank. IMO

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol the way this article is written is funny..

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, now the whole world knows about it and it will be interesting to see who lands on it first.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with trdking on this - gold would be about worth the value of the same weight as iron ore.....

Gone were the days of golden standards.....

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
So let's suppose a huge asteroid like this fell out of the sky and landed in someone's backyard. Say the government knew about it. Question is, would they let you keep it or would they come up with some excuse why it's not really yours or there's some law against it being yours, etc. I'm just throwing a hypothetical out there...no need to post about how an asteroid would never fall from the sky or things like that.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So let's suppose a huge asteroid like this fell out of the sky and landed in someone's backyard. Say the government knew about it. Question is, would they let you keep it or would they come up with some excuse why it's not really yours or there's some law against it being yours, etc. I'm just throwing a hypothetical out there...no need to post about how an asteroid would never fall from the sky or things like that.
Hypothetically you and half the continent would be dead

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
Hypothetically you and half the continent would be dead

Noooooo, let's just say it was just big enough to fit in your back yard. Not big enough to wipe out half the planet. Then what?

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noooooo, let's just say it was just big enough to fit in your back yard. Not big enough to wipe out half the planet. Then what?
At the speed it would hit good luck to you and your entire neighborhood. But to answer your question you do not own it. The government would take it. :)

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Dumb ass writer............
Doesn't have a clue about economics.
It would not make all humans billionaires.
Anytime you flood the market it crashes the market.
Golds rarely or difficulty to acquire is exactly what makes it worth what it is.
And in reality even that is BS because the market is manipulated by the large banks just like diamonds are manipulated by the Beers ... If it was not for them diamonds would be worth about the same as quartz.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Golden Asteroid is named Psyche 16. I think I got all the info I need on this story.

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It came out of the sky
Just a little south of Moline....

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What comes to mind to myself is the cost and physics behind mining gold on an asteroid. I don't understand how the cost to retrieve the minerals would not out weight the return dramatically. Then, lets say you do get onto this asteroid, how do you return to earth with tons of gold, it's extremely heavy. I would imagine the process would require some extreme engineering to make possible if possible at all within a profit margin..

"If brought to Earth, the asteroid can make everyone billionaires." This line just makes me laugh on so many levels..

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said SASSIEST EVER!!!!!

also gold and diamonds do not share "value" for the same reason.

Gold has very unique uses in many fields. On top of its value as a Wampum of some sort.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the speed it would hit good luck to you and your entire neighborhood. But to answer your question you do not own it. The government would take it. :)

Dismissing the death and what not, if it fell out in your field why would it not belong to you? I'm guessing the gov would try to claim it but I think at best they could only tax you for the worth.

Doug H

May 23, 2014
Cumberland, VA
Detector(s) used
White's coinmaster pro
Garrett at pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Other
Dismissing the death and what not, if it fell out in your field why would it not belong to you? I'm guessing the gov would try to claim it but I think at best they could only tax you for the worth.

This is exactly what I'm saying hillbilly prince. Setting aside the thinking that you would be killed, if a giant rock fell from space that was made up of platinum or gold or whatever precious metal,and the government knew about it, would they let you keep it since it fell on your property. Trdking says they would take it...maybe hes right, I dont know which is why I thought it was a good one to discuss.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Our very own gubermint has already made a law stating that "anything" that has fallen from the sky belongs to the federal Gubermint ! You can thank our so-called "representatives" for that one ! The big "O" has done it again !!!

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no they haven't
we had a meteor break up right over my area. People from Nasa were showing up at peoples gates offering to buy pieces. as well as private collectors.

I know a guy that sold a piece for 5k

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not believe that NASA has anything to do with government ownership? Am I wrong? If a mass amount of gold or precious fell from the sky you would have a fight on your hands. Just saying

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I understand the gold locked in these asteroids aren't solid chunks of raw metal that you can just dig out of the ground. It's mixed in heavily with other metals in an ore that you can't even see the gold in, like those deep earth mines in South Africa that produce lots of gold. There's gold in the ore, but you need a huge infrastructure and lots of cyanide to extract it. Not profitable at all. I think the easiest way to find gold would be to just go to Mars IMO. Look at the massive dried up riverbeds there, billions of years of placer deposits along there that you could just scoop up with a metal detector.

800px-VallesMarinerisHuge.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions