what kind of nugget is this? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: what kind of nugget is this?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2013
    western sahara
    699 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    What is the mining history of your area, what minerals are found there, that knowledge should help you in your I.D. of the specimen you found, if you share the location where you found the specimen we could help you.
    Historic Copper mining,galena,silver ,syenite and gold mostly as a byproduct.There,s also uranium and thorium in the surrounding area but was not mined up until today.Also geological reports indicate rich tourmalin ore deposits.

Here some of the magnetite i found while...aspiring Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190807_154751.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	1740833 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190807_154801.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	1740834

and samples i took from 3 different locations /veins vein 1: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190807_155157.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	3.75 MB 
ID:	1740835 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190807_155211.jpg 
Size:	4.39 MB 
ID:	1740836 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190807_155451.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	3.95 MB 
ID:	1740837

vein 2:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190807_160014.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	1740838 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190807_160034.jpg 
Size:	4.74 MB 
ID:	1740839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190807_160051.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	4.10 MB 
ID:	1740840

Vein3: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190807_160226.jpg 
Size:	3.58 MB 
ID:	1740841 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190807_160516.jpg 
Size:	3.87 MB 
ID:	1740842 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190807_160549.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	4.24 MB 
ID:	1740843

I wanted to discuss the samples in my gravity thread and /or hardrock forum but maybe it helps you get a idea of the mineralisations here.
    And shure it would be interesting to hear thoughts and speculations about the ores as well.
    There,s much visible chalcopyrite in vein 3 and some in vein 1,some malachite,much less bornite and things i don,t know yet predominantly in vein 1 ive learned.
    I got to know another prospector who,s also a mineral collector and he said he,s got a connection to somebody who can run a test on my samples. He will cut a fine slice of the ore and then watch it under a microscope to determine if there is gold.If there is a fire assay would follow..?
    Enyway that will take some time as he,s busy right now .
    Thanks
    Last edited by spaghettigold; Aug 07, 2019 at 01:30 PM.
    et1955 and Molewacker like this.

Oct 2013
    western sahara
    699 times
    ok,here some pics i took with a newer phone Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190807_125905.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	3.59 MB 
ID:	1740811 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190807_130216.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	3.61 MB 
ID:	1740812

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190807_130228.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	1740813 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190807_130237.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	1740814

i tryed a specific gravity test with a scale ,a cup of water etc. It gives me varying results of 4.7 to 5.5
    Toecutter likes this.

Oct 2013
    western sahara
    699 times
    well i doublechecked the spec.grav.test with a piece of magnetite and with a goldpicker and the results show my testsetup is flawed.For my picker it gives me s.g of 10 for ex.
    So the 4.7 to 5.5 won,t be correct either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190724_204513.jpg 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	1741276 (some gold pics maybe keeps them t-netters on the ball)

By the way,i saw Clay Diggins gave a like to Krays;"its a budweiser" ..and as we all know that Mr.Diggins real-life job is to work at google ,camouflaged as a search engine for mining related questions,thats a pretty bad sign.

Clay,can you confirm?
    Last edited by spaghettigold; Aug 08, 2019 at 02:41 PM.
    OwenT likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Idaho
    Gold Hog Stream Sluice
    990 times
    Prospecting
    I see fire damage, whether it's from a Budweiser can or some other metal object. This item I am holding is what happens to lead wheel weights after going into a bonfire and then being gilded with with 23K gold leaf. Some times things aren't always as they appear.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	105_0373.JPG 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	1741321
    spaghettigold likes this.
    Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.
    Visit my Idaho Gold Prospecting Blog at Bedrock or Bust
    US Army Pacific 1969-1971
    2015 Stroke Survivor
    2016 Cancer Survivor
    2017 2nd Stroke Survivor
    2018 Pacemaker Recipient
    Every Day Is A Beautiful Day

Mar 2016
    2984 times
    That fake piece would not fool me. Doesn't look like anything I've seen.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    6563 times
    Metal Detecting
    Spaghettigold, I owe you an apology. I get kind of flip with rock posters sometimes. I can't help with your original question on the nugget thingy, but from the mineral specimens you showed later, that's quite an ore body you're in, and the likelihood of precious metals is pretty good, I should think.

Don't forget microscopic gold and silver, invisible to the naked eye. That rock reminds me of some I collected in northern Nevada, 30+ years ago.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

Oct 2013
    western sahara
    699 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    That fake piece would not fool me. Doesn't look like anything I've seen.
    I never saw something similar either but i was in a new location,found it in my sluice and it looked to me like these spongy goldnuggets where the unnoble metals have rotten out ,just without being gold.
    And since i'm a beginner in the minerals/geology field i'm a easy victim.
    I.m far away of having it seen it all because normally i was working in rivers in the plains where the glaciers brought the material and i was far away from the sources and the geology.
    Wan't be the last time i get fooled probably

Oct 2013
    western sahara
    699 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kray Gelder View Post
    Spaghettigold, I owe you an apology. I get kind of flip with rock posters sometimes. I can't help with your original question on the nugget thingy, but from the mineral specimens you showed later, that's quite an ore body you're in, and the likelihood of precious metals is pretty good, I should think.

Don't forget microscopic gold and silver, invisible to the naked eye. That rock reminds me of some I collected in northern Nevada, 30+ years ago.

Nothing to apologise Kray.
    You delivered a plausible explanation, humor and used only 1 word.
    That was pretty efficient.
    cheers

Regarding the rocks i also looked up in the net for companys doing assays here where i live but nothing shows up as there is no mining culture here besides gravel plants.
    Maybe if i contact the universitys around here i can make something happen.
    But even if the assays would show good results the further procedure would be uncertain.
    In the industrialized eurozone the laws and regs. are designed to destroy smallscale ops.
    There,s no easy claim filing procedure like you guys have i know of.
    The mineral collector i got to know told me he applyed for a permit for a artisanal mine and they not even answered his request.
    Yesterday i read about application procedure for the regions i,m intressted in.
    Besides all the EIRS,Feasability,bond -things and stuff not only you have to show that there,s profitable amounts ,you also have to show "industrial scale"potential" Thats how you kill artisanal mining by law.
    Then you have a antimining brainwashed Nymby crowd,(agitated by ngo's,) running around with the newest cellphones ,cars and other things full of metals that must be mined that may oppose you on local level.
    Theyre brains are not able to connect the two sides of the medal.
    With the actual permit i have i can't use eny motorized or mechanical equipment,even my pry bar is not allowed to be longer then 3 feet and i think i'm allowed to take only 25 kilograms of hardrock material per day.

So there have to be really good assay results needed to make me hammer out ore with a handchisel ,partly while snorkeling because some of the veins are running under water,instead of hittin the bedrock with my grav. dredge setup.(but i would do it)

P.s.Tacitus figured it out long time ago
    Last edited by spaghettigold; Aug 09, 2019 at 07:30 AM.
    delnorter and Kray Gelder like this.

Mar 2016
    2984 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spaghettigold View Post
    I never saw something similar either but i was in a new location,found it in my sluice and it looked to me like these spongy goldnuggets where the unnoble metals have rotten out ,just without being gold.
    And since i'm a beginner in the minerals/geology field i'm a easy victim.
    I.m far away of having it seen it all because normally i was working in rivers in the plains where the glaciers brought the material and i was far away from the sources and the geology.
    Wan't be the last time i get fooled probably
    I was referring to the gold foil covered lead blob that Underdurden posted.
    Your doing right by questioning what you find.

Per a potentially load deposit and all the regulations...you have to weigh the reward vs. risk. I know what I would do.
    For those miners in the US..these types of draconian laws are in our future if we don't come together and start acting in unison on a national scale.

Back to your specific gravity test..can you provide your method and math?
    Maybe we can help you figure it out. By the spongy appearance it may have trapped air inside the specimen. I'd try and let it soak for 48 hours before weighing in water.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Aug 09, 2019 at 08:47 AM.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Mar 2016
    2984 times
    Your specimen might be too small, but I was reading about calculating the specific gravity of wood.
    It is also porous. There is a displacement method that is used with the sample being coated in paraffin to prevent water from soaking into the wood.

I think without altering your specimen, it may be difficult to determine the specific gravity accurately.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Aug 09, 2019 at 09:00 AM.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2969 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by spaghettigold View Post
    weight i will determine tomorrow.Got my scale still in my car as i just came back from a trip to a new creek sunday evening and had no time yet to straighten up things.It,s slightly heavy but not heavy like gold or lead .
    Malleability ..i,m afraid to break it,i think its,s pretty hard.Streak,against what should i rub it?
    location is south europe(sorry,the anti-small scale mining/eco mafia is reading).Gold there (in the creek)is chunky,mineralized veins all over(i took samples) Magnetite balls in the creek alluvials bigger then my hand.
    For a streak test, rub it on the underside of a porcelain toilet tank lid. Is it actually metal or a rock? Have you tested it with a strong magnet?
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Oct 2013
    western sahara
    699 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    I was referring to the gold foil covered lead blob that Underdurden posted.
    Your doing right by questioning what you find.

Per a potentially load deposit and all the regulations...you have to weigh the reward vs. risk. I know what I would do.
    For those miners in the US..these types of draconian laws are in our future if we don't come together and start acting in unison on a national scale.

Back to your specific gravity test..can you provide your method and math?
    Maybe we can help you figure it out. By the spongy appearance it may have trapped air inside the specimen. I'd try and let it soak for 48 hours before weighing in water.
    Ok that's the second time i did'nt get it now.
    For the test i weighed the thing dry.Then filled a cup with water ,put the cup on the scale and zeroed it.Then i rolled some yarn around the thing and let it hang in there without touching the cup and noted the weight it showed. Then i divided the dry weight through the weight in the water.
    I try your soaking method and look what happens.

Oct 2013
    western sahara
    699 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
    For a streak test, rub it on the underside of a porcelain toilet tank lid. Is it actually metal or a rock? Have you tested it with a strong magnet?
    It's all plastic tanks arizau.But i will find something in the next times.It's a metal it seems.I only have normal magnets but it doesn't atract the thing.
    Last edited by spaghettigold; Aug 09, 2019 at 05:34 PM.
    arizau likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    22883 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    John Attard in San Diego provides an SEM and XRD service. He can take a rice sized piece and let you know the chemical composition. You can google him.

Oct 2013
    western sahara
    699 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Underburden View Post
    I see fire damage, whether it's from a Budweiser can or some other metal object. This item I am holding is what happens to lead wheel weights after going into a bonfire and then being gilded with with 23K gold leaf. Some times things aren't always as they appear.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	105_0373.JPG 
Size:	2.55 MB 
ID:	1741321
    slowly but surely i'm getting convinced that the thing i found is a piece of metal that was in a bonfire.
    In other news i will put your "1ounce of gold falling in a pan"vid on repeat if i have problems getting to sleep,right along with the hypnotical vid 's and voices of bob ross and doc from goldhog. The sound of gold falling in a plastic pan is so satisfying.

Cheers
    Last edited by spaghettigold; Aug 09, 2019 at 05:36 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links