Republic, WA

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just visiting republic today and tomorrow probably and discovering the awesome history! I’ve lived in eastern WA basically my whole life and never realized all the potential this area has. Lots of gold and other stuff, mostly lode, but still. If you get the chance for sure visit the historical society museum and the Stonerose Interpretive Center. I came here with my family around 15 years ago to dig fossils but I didn’t know about the mining much at all. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565387353.939987.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1565387370.124284.jpg

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went deer hunting in near Republic in the late 60's ( no luck ), and my sister lived on a commune just a couple miles out of town in'75-'76. I visited her there, and was driven off by the crowd of hippies. An interesting experience.

I wasn't aware of the major mining at the time either.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got a tip several years ago about potential platinum in the tailings of the old Poland/China mine east of Oroville. A couple of years later, Chris and I got up there. But when we got there, a mining company from Canada was test drilling the site. They were nice to talk to, but wouldn't let me sample the tailings. They claimed to know nothing about any platinum, and were looking for gold reserves that had been missed. We really liked the country up there, and there was a lot of gold mining went on all over Northeastern Washington at one time, and few people are aware of it. There were also a few diamonds found up there.
Jim

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Some years back some friends of mine attended the NW Miners Rally in Oroville Washington and we lover it. We dredged the Similkimine RV. /Okanogin RV.(sp) there and we really enjoyed our stay to say the least!

Lofree

Aug 20, 2019
Rochester Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from the Similkameen for the first time dredging had a great time and found a few flakes mostly on the banks.

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just got back from the Similkameen for the first time dredging had a great time and found a few flakes mostly on the banks.

I've been wanting to do that, just couldn't find the time this summer.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would love to some mining on the Similkameen, from what I have learned from the old timers that the gold has a orange tint to it because of the copper content alloyed with the gold.

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would love to some mining on the Similkameen, from what I have learned from the old timers that the gold has a orange tint to it because of the copper content alloyed with the gold.

There’s also a decent amount of platinum found from what I understand.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are right about the platinum but as with a lot of gold barring rivers here in WA, they have been mined out and that includes the Similkameeen, did you know there is a platinum mine on the Sultan, I know where it is but is claimed.

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are right about the platinum but as with a lot of gold barring rivers here in WA, they have been mined out and that includes the Similkameeen, did you know there is a platinum mine on the Sultan, I know where it is but is claimed.

Didn’t know that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions