Not finding any gold, help.

lord gaybob

Aug 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am panning in an area 12km from a well known gold panning spot in Perthshire. This river flows into many streams and eventually flows into the river i am panning. From looking at geological records, the bedrock and superficial layer are the same at both where I am panning and the region the well known gold panning spot is situated. I am looking all over the river but I never find black sand nor any gold. When i finish panning, the only thing left in my pan is small black balls (6 or 7) and gold coloured flat stones, about 2mm in size that crumble when pressure is applied. I have found a waterfall where the bedrock is exposed at the surface and is heavily eroded, i have not yet panned this area, will this be a good place to look?

Upvote 0

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The main river I mine has little or no black sand, there are other indicators that are present where gold is when black sand is not present, hematite, quartz ,garnets and magnetite. Maybe there is no gold at the river level you are mining, it is all about the types of flooding on your river. I specialize on mining ancient flood lines and some I mine are hundreds of ft. above the present river level, It's so fun to find gold that the old-timers missed. River's work there way down over the year's of there life and maybe for you there is level up on your bank that has gold, good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions