Prospecting tool..

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found this cool tool at Ace Hardware the other day. I was looking for a small pick axe. Something smaller than the typical triangular prospectors pick that would be strong and very light for hiking/prospecting. Not mining. This fit the bill. Anyone use one of these? I have a hillside with layers and wanted to sample and dig in compacted gravels. What do you think? It's about $17....
shopping (1).jpg shopping.jpg

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The question then, is how will it hold up?

Looks like a well designed tool, and if it gets the job done
you made a good purchase.

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use something similar. The one I use has the blade on one side and a 3 prongs on the other side. I got mine at lowes for 9 bucks. It works great and has held up well but that is all related to use. I am just using it to break up compacted gravels in my case the largest of these gravels are fist size the bulk is smaller. The one I am using would not hold up long if it was larger stones. Yours looks much more solid than mine if only there was an ace Hardware in my area

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use something similar. The one I use has the blade on one side and a 3 prongs on the other side. I got mine at lowes for 9 bucks. It works great and has held up well but that is all related to use. I am just using it to break up compacted gravels in my case the largest of these gravels are fist size the bulk is smaller. The one I am using would not hold up long if it was larger stones. Yours looks much more solid than mine if only there was an ace Hardware in my area
Hay Slink, You could always order online...
Yard Butler Terra Mattock
Home Depot has it online as well. I have something like that 3 prong tool. I needed something I could use to really whack some hard ground. Or, use to pry.

Hey Dizzy Digger, yeah, I'm hoping the tool lasts. I have yet to put it to use. It feels really solid. The top is thick metal like a prospector's pick. Just what I was looking for. I'm debating making a point on one end. However, I think it is going to work just fine like it is. I can always just use a corner! It's powder coated too.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Corona Garden tools has something similar. Years ago they put out a three piece garden tool set, well made/heavy duty. Yours looks nice, heavy prying is not what you are using it for but prying might not be good for any of them..............63bkpkr

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Corona Garden tools has something similar. Years ago they put out a three piece garden tool set, well made/heavy duty. Yours looks nice, heavy prying is not what you are using it for but prying might not be good for any of them..............63bkpkr
Right 63bkpkr,
Although I think this can take a beating, I may use it for moderate prying and something else for heavy prying. I wanted something with a long enough handle and thick enough metal to really wallop something. I think this can do some damage! It feels real rugged.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Right 63bkpkr,
Although I think this can take a beating, I may use it for moderate prying and something else for heavy prying. I wanted something with a long enough handle and thick enough metal to really wallop something. I think this can do some damage! It feels real rugged.

If you do, keep a close eye on the Weld for cracking. The weld Doesn’t look all that tough.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not sure how tough it really is.I wont know until I break it! Lol

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got to use it today along with a new narrow plastic shovel. It's going to be a part of my permanent tool kit. The shovel too. The rock hammer is great for loosening up packed gravel. But once its loose the hammer is kinda useless. I found it inefficient to scoop with any shovel. Thats where this tool saves time. I used it to pull material onto the shovels. It gets into narrow areas to further break up the gravels. It choped through the roots too. I really like this over a small pick. It is not too heavy. I had a good experience today cleaning out this little area with it. I didn't have problems prying stuff. But, the hammer just felt better doing that. It's a sturdy tool and I'm giving it a thumbs up! 0823191411.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread