Odd day sniping, did I find a vein? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Odd day sniping, did I find a vein?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    24088 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    One other possibility. In my stream there is a small amount of gold. That being said, I found a silver colored "nugget", small in size. I sent it to have it analyzed and it was 50% gold, and 50% silver. I would have bet on mercury.
    BillA and Gold4Mike like this.

Dec 2018
    111 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EA38D668-183F-4B3B-979A-A5E0DE32EB43.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	1746574
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    One other possibility. In my stream there is a small amount of gold. That being said, I found a silver colored "nugget", small in size. I sent it to have it analyzed and it was 50% gold, and 50% silver. I would have bet on mercury.
    I went back and got some more. Picture isn’t that great but doesn’t it look like silver or mercury?

Dec 2018
    111 times
    Also found my first nugget(?) Not sure what people define them as but it’s right at 1g.

Name:	2D4C8D9F-5B3C-4355-B7FE-A1447CC9D212.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	1746575
    BillA and Gold4Mike like this.

cr
    May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    1214 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness medic View Post
    . . . .
    I went back and got some more. Picture isn’t that great but doesn’t it look like silver or mercury?
    need better pics, streak ?
    just "went back and got some more" eh ?
    don't stop now

edit: gold is very rounded/flattened, long transport implied
    edit2: need better pics (above in doubt)
    Last edited by BillA; Aug 26, 2019 at 12:52 PM.

Dec 2018
    111 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BillA View Post
    need better pics, streak ?
    just "went back and got some more" eh ?
    don't stop now

edit: gold is very rounded/flattened, long transport implied
    edit2: need better pics (above in doubt)
    Not quite sure I understand.

I’ll try to take better ones but the pieces with the other metal on them are so small.

I went back and spent 9 hours continually picking out gold from cracks. I found a really nice turn that seems to be covered in gold. Hoping to get my sluice back there to run all the loose material once I finish all the crevices.

I also smashed out a bunch of quarts from two places. Where I found al the first gold, and a second quartz being that was up under a boulder in a cave. With my dive light it looks like there were veins of something shimmering. Pyrite? The quartz is heavily oxidized with iron and mixed in with clay pockets. Do I just smash the hell out of the quartz with a hammer and then pan it?

Looking at all the gold it all seems pretty round like you said. After investigating further I’m thinking it’s just a really nice inside turn with bedrock to catch it all in the perfect place...?

cr
    May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    1214 times
    2 questions: rounded gold from 'upstream'?, and visible gold in the quartz? - could be either or both
    take a loupe and look at the gold and the quartz,
    you will most likely have to pulverize the quartz - but not hard for a small amount

inside bend likely
    et1955 likes this.

Dec 2018
    111 times

Name:	682A6E58-C4CB-49F2-95EA-1A09CE858040.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	760.4 KB 
ID:	1746733

Name:	089FFE21-99BE-4760-AA77-7BBE4850E224.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	573.7 KB 
ID:	1746734

Pyrite I guess? Got excited. But after I crushed it up and tried grabbing the shiny yellow pieces they all broke apart.
    Last edited by Wilderness medic; Aug 26, 2019 at 08:29 PM.
    BillA and et1955 like this.

us
    Feb 2015
    Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
    591 times
    Prospecting
    Congrats on the gold. I am always blown away by how easy it seems for some guys in CA to just start finding good gold like that. My first nugget didn’t come along for a few years and that was only because I got let into a good mine.

Charter Member
    us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    904 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenT View Post
    Congrats on the gold. I am always blown away by how easy it seems for some guys in CA to just start finding good gold like that. My first nugget didn’t come along for a few years and that was only because I got let into a good mine.
    If it was easy it would not be fun, the challenge is to master finding gold in your area, which may have little or no gold, even if there is no gold you need learn the indicators of where gold could be and when you go to an area that has good gold you will do well.
    OwenT, BillA, Goldwasher and 1 others like this.

Mar 2016
    3023 times
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    If it was easy it would not be fun, the challenge is to master finding gold in your area, which may have little or no gold, even if there is no gold you need learn the indicators of where gold could be and when you go to an area that has good gold you will do well.
    Of course the key piece of work is finding gold that doesn't already belong to someone else.
    That is harder than simply finding gold.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Aug 28, 2019 at 07:30 AM.
    BillA and OwenT like this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

Mar 2014
    NorCal
    Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
    2224 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Of course the key piece of work is finding gold that doesn't already belong to someone else.
    Not really as hard as some make it out to be. There are are plenty of whole sections of river un claimed and open to prospecting.
    Goldwasher and et1955 like this.
    Come check out my California Mother lode Adventures!---->https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4U...aqFXriPUONmEtw

Mar 2016
    3023 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmbandits View Post
    Not really as hard as some make it out to be. There are are plenty of whole sections of river un claimed and open to prospecting.
    That requires an understanding of a PLSS legal description, which few take the time to figure out.
    Nothing directed at the initial poster (nice looking gold).

Going to the courthouse...plotting those legal descriptions on a quad map...even fewer people willing to take that level of effort.

Much of my found gold comes from open ground...not along known producing rivers..but unclaimed ground (and I have access to a lot of claimed or owned ground to work with).
    Certain river drainages are completely claimed up with overlapping claims for 30 miles. Some marked, but most not very well.
    Gold4Mike likes this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

us
    Feb 2015
    Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
    591 times
    Prospecting

Odd day sniping, did I find a vein?

That requires an understanding of a PLSS legal description, which few take the time to figure out.
    I was very fortunate to have learned about the PLSS in Middle School for competing in the “Road Scholar” event in Science Olympiad. Really has been useful and it made being a newbie prospector that much easier. It really should be taught to everyone in school. Unfortunately We never went into depth with metes and bounds but I guess I’ll figure it out whenever I need to stake a lode claim.

Mar 2016
    3023 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenT View Post
    I was very fortunate to have learned about the PLSS in Middle School for competing in the “Road Scholar” event in Science Olympiad. Really has been useful and it made being a newbie prospector that much easier. It really should be taught to everyone in school. Unfortunately We never went into depth with metes and bounds but I guess I’ll figure it out whenever I need to stake a lode claim.
    It's not complicated, but I meet (intelligent) people every day that have zero understanding.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Aug 28, 2019 at 09:52 PM.
    OwenT likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    904 times
    Prospecting
    I have pulled out over 2lbs. of gold on state land that is legal to mine in my state and also other states, no claims required just proper research, knowledge and experience. Finding a place to mine is not hard as you think. Keep an open mind, negative perspectives hold you back, go mining !!!
    OwenT, mendoAu, Asmbandits and 3 others like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links