Odd day sniping, did I find a vein?

Wilderness medic

Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out even farther than usual to snipe for gold today, about another mile past where I usually snipe. I spent about 4 hours busting cracks and crevices that I thought were sure to have good gold. One of them was about 15' underwater at the lowest water level of the year. One spot had shale with a ton of cracks that looked like they would grab any gold that came by. I didn't find a single piece of gold.

Then I came upon a big quartz vein eroded away by the river. It looked a little out of place. There was a pile of loose material on top with gold all over. I've never seen gold just laying around like that. None of it was big, but there was a bunch of it, and it was thicker than your average flake. I spent the next few hours sucking up the lose material and meticulously loosening up some packed in rocks here and there. A bunch of the gold seemed to be stuck in the quartz but wiggled out fine. Some of the gold looked like it was half gold and half lead/mercury(?)

Is this possibly a gold vein? It was a giant quartz vein mixed in with chunks of oxidized iron with clay packed in pockets. Above water was a pretty large slab of vertical bedrock with tons of eroded quartz stringers as well. I didn't find any gold anywhere else in the area, which is unusual.

I had a 2 hour hike out and had to call it a day because the sun was going down or I would have stayed and kept investigating. Possible source or just a random slot that happened to trap all the gold right on top...?:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Wilderness medic

Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
682A6E58-C4CB-49F2-95EA-1A09CE858040.jpeg

089FFE21-99BE-4760-AA77-7BBE4850E224.jpeg

Pyrite I guess? Got excited. But after I crushed it up and tried grabbing the shiny yellow pieces they all broke apart.

Last edited:

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats on the gold. I am always blown away by how easy it seems for some guys in CA to just start finding good gold like that. My first nugget didn’t come along for a few years and that was only because I got let into a good mine.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats on the gold. I am always blown away by how easy it seems for some guys in CA to just start finding good gold like that. My first nugget didn’t come along for a few years and that was only because I got let into a good mine.
If it was easy it would not be fun, the challenge is to master finding gold in your area, which may have little or no gold, even if there is no gold you need learn the indicators of where gold could be and when you go to an area that has good gold you will do well.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was easy it would not be fun, the challenge is to master finding gold in your area, which may have little or no gold, even if there is no gold you need learn the indicators of where gold could be and when you go to an area that has good gold you will do well.

Of course the key piece of work is finding gold that doesn't already belong to someone else.
That is harder than simply finding gold.

Last edited:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course the key piece of work is finding gold that doesn't already belong to someone else.

Not really as hard as some make it out to be. There are are plenty of whole sections of river un claimed and open to prospecting.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really as hard as some make it out to be. There are are plenty of whole sections of river un claimed and open to prospecting.

That requires an understanding of a PLSS legal description, which few take the time to figure out.
Nothing directed at the initial poster (nice looking gold).

Going to the courthouse...plotting those legal descriptions on a quad map...even fewer people willing to take that level of effort.

Much of my found gold comes from open ground...not along known producing rivers..but unclaimed ground (and I have access to a lot of claimed or owned ground to work with).
Certain river drainages are completely claimed up with overlapping claims for 30 miles. Some marked, but most not very well.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That requires an understanding of a PLSS legal description, which few take the time to figure out.

I was very fortunate to have learned about the PLSS in Middle School for competing in the “Road Scholar” event in Science Olympiad. Really has been useful and it made being a newbie prospector that much easier. It really should be taught to everyone in school. Unfortunately We never went into depth with metes and bounds but I guess I’ll figure it out whenever I need to stake a lode claim.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was very fortunate to have learned about the PLSS in Middle School for competing in the “Road Scholar” event in Science Olympiad. Really has been useful and it made being a newbie prospector that much easier. It really should be taught to everyone in school. Unfortunately We never went into depth with metes and bounds but I guess I’ll figure it out whenever I need to stake a lode claim.

It's not complicated, but I meet (intelligent) people every day that have zero understanding.

Last edited:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have pulled out over 2lbs. of gold on state land that is legal to mine in my state and also other states, no claims required just proper research, knowledge and experience. Finding a place to mine is not hard as you think. Keep an open mind, negative perspectives hold you back, go mining !!!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have pulled out over 2lbs. of gold on state land that is legal to mine in my state and also other states, no claims required just proper research, knowledge and experience. Finding a place to mine is not hard as you think. Keep an open mind, negative perspectives hold you back, go mining !!!

There is a lot of unclaimed ground.
Yup - Proper research.

OP
OP
W

Wilderness medic

Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, thanks! Well then yesterday I continued my search and found a couple more small nuggets. Unbelievable every crack in this new section contained gold. One little dent had a single pebble in it. I figured eh why not only takes a second. Biggest piece of the day was under that single pebble

40C15D41-2725-4171-91FF-4701AFFA2C21.png

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, thanks! Well then yesterday I continued my search and found a couple more small nuggets. Unbelievable every crack in this new section contained gold. One little dent had a single pebble in it. I figured eh why not only takes a second. Biggest piece of the day was under that single pebble

View attachment 1748046

So, no fines? What state are you in?

OP
OP
W

Wilderness medic

Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, no fines? What state are you in?

No for that bit I went in the fastest part of some rapids and found a log crack that seemed to be unopened. I went back today and all the rest were already busted as well as the next half mile. Not a single piece of gold.

I’m in placer county in ca.

The gold is so strange. I found that one wide slot littered with flakes, and also the nugget and nothing else around. No color in the pan. Public land is so picked over it seems like the rules go out the window and you just need to get lucky and see an overlooked crack.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions