so he pans out the remains - what a effing blockhead

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow. that was stupid. he literally just threw away money.

not with the relatively high grade or piece. but that one specimen is worth way more uncrushed. The 22k price is too high. but, he could definitely have gotten more for it than he will breaking it apart and smelting it. You just have to hunt for buyers they are out there.

agolddigger

Oct 28, 2016
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The video will likely end up getting >1 mill views over time for a fairly long video so $3k+ worth of ad revenue, ~$11k for that bar @ 90% purity, and he still has that giant crystalline piece that he kept might be worth ~$5k?

Overall he ended up coming close to getting the $22k, just went about it in a different way.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More like 65 to 70 % purity, I saw what looked like silver in the ore and that would explain the lack of gold color in the bar, as you saw in his vid he was full of excuses for his lack of experience and it clearly shows up in his smelting technique. Sad

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped watching as soon as he said what he was gonna do.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More like 65 to 70 % purity, I saw what looked like silver in the ore and that would explain the lack of gold color in the bar, as you saw in his vid he was full of excuses for his lack of experience and it clearly shows up in his smelting technique. Sad

Shorts, stretched out socks and cross trainers... dry vegetation an pouring molten gold...what could go wrong:icon_scratch:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's more painful is...

the length of time this guy videos all views of his rocks.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that the first chunk he had would have been nice slabbed and polished.

Devils advocate..
He may have needed some operating money for his mine or some emergency repair.
Specimens and cut/polished slabs take time to convert to cash.

Crush and melt might have meant immediate cash.
I think he even mentioned the same.

He also may have lots of other pieces that are similar.

I have a piece that I like due to larger size and large surface area of solid gold.
It's basically a piece of thin vein. It wouldn't bring the money a large placer nugget would.
That surprised me.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that the first chunk he had would have been nice slabbed and polished.

Devils advocate..
He may have needed some operating money for his mine or some emergency repair.
Specimens and cut/polished slabs take time to convert to cash.

Crush and melt might have meant immediate cash.
I think he even mentioned the same.

He also may have lots of other pieces that are similar.

I have a piece that I like due to larger size and large surface area of solid gold.
It's basically a piece of thin vein. It wouldn't bring the money a large placer nugget would.
That surprised me.

He said he had it for a few years I think. But, who knows. He would barely get 10k for the bar he poured.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, but people do all kinds of things to stay afloat. Mortgage is due this week or it gets foreclosed..that kind of stuff.

Rich people often bleed money to stay afloat.

I know people that own many large parcels of land..sometimes one might go to a tax lien sale (probably how they originally bought it). They still have a large personal wealth.

Who knows what his situation was. Maybe he WAS thinking it might go viral?

Seems wasteful to most.

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How about firing up your stone crusher only to find that your first batch was delayed because of an active bees nest. Wow, talk about a wake up call. That in itself was worth watching. Reality TV at its best.
The video overall reminds me of a story that took place down in Africa or South America with some locals that found a huge gold nugget with a metal detector. Apparently these individuals wanted to divide the gold into equal shares and so the video showed them chopping this huge nugget into (I believe thirds) 3 pieces with an axe or something like that. It too was painful to watch. To see the value of that nugget drop each time they took a swing at it was insane. The above video did nearly the same for me. Gold is gold and if you find it, you have every right to do with it as you please. As mentioned, he may have been in a financial bind and needed some quick cash. The other story with the splitting up of the gold is just plain bunch idiots that didn’t know any better.

Last edited:

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The owner of this nugget owns one of the most important mines in the Sierras that has produced collectible crystalline specimens known throughout the collecting world. I have met him and he is one intelligent and generous people I have met. Like Iamudigger has stated people sell for many reasons, his reason was probably to get some quick cash for some mining equipment he needs to work his mine. Although for many it may hurt to watch, I can assure you this fella is one smart cookie and has already recovered amazing and huge crystalline gold specimens that will be available for purchase at the Denver Gold Show and other large Shows throughout the world. So enjoy the video !!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's Sierra.

Whats the name of the mine?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Realizing he could own private ground. However this guy has only one claim to his name. And none closed or abandoned. It is a placer claim. Though he has other under ground videos. yet few of them show gold. No showing of the chunk he ruined being found or shown off.

I have no doubt he found it. Unless he inherited or bought it for some reason maybe years ago?

He paid a maintenance fee this year which seems silly considering it looks like he does ample work on his claim. if that's it in the videos.

Can't find any thing on him selling specimens. I happen to know a little bit about that market. I've contacted numerous broker/collectors.

I seriously doubt he did it cause he needed the money. His bar sucks and will need more refining. He didn't show all that much experience.

He should have just priced it right in the first place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Realizing he could own private ground. However this guy has only one claim to his name. And none closed or abandoned. It is a placer claim. Though he has other under ground videos. yet few of them show gold. No showing of the chunk he ruined being found or shown off.

I have no doubt he found it. Unless he inherited or bought it for some reason maybe years ago?

He paid a maintenance fee this year which seems silly considering it looks like he does ample work on his claim. if that's it in the videos.

Can't find any thing on him selling specimens. I happen to know a little bit about that market. I've contacted numerous broker/collectors.

I seriously doubt he did it cause he needed the money. His bar sucks and will need more refining. He didn't show all that much experience.

He should have just priced it right in the first place.

Right, even if he just decided to sell it at spot price for the amount of gold in it, anyone in their right mind would buy it, and then he’d save the trouble of processing it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread