what is a nugget ?

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
a nugget is defined as "a native lump of precious metal", nothing as to size or weight
an upper bound would be undefined, what is a lower 'limit' at which a small nugget would be called something else ?
(ok, but what?, different question)

Wilderness medic posted a somewhat (?) sub one gramer which is nice.
attachment.php

my (always limited) experience extends the term's use to one gram bits
as when thin they are large, and when rotund still have a slight bit of heft
(could post photos but 1 gramers are pretty common)

when young my idea of a nugget was a lump big enough, like Tom Sawyer, to fire at a rat and kill it - obviously exaggerated

so is there a (usage) defined lower size or weight limit for the applicability of the word 'nugget' ?

edit: - and below a nugget would be a 'picker' ? (at least for placer miners)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are showing a Picker. A "Picker" is a small nugget you can pick up with two fingers. "Flake" gold is smaller than a picker. A "Nugget" is at least two-grams.:skullflag:

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
ok, where did the 2 gms come from ?

a picker? something you can get your fingers on? and then kinda transitions to a nugget?

so a picker is size based whereas a nugget is based on weight? (lots of overlap)

- not trying to be difficult, just exploring the limits of the words

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
It is only a matter of opinion. Most of those opinions for the low end of what is considered a “nugget” range from 0.5 grams to 2.0 grams.

Time for more coffee.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it's thickness is approaching it's overall length I call it a nugget.

There are small nuggets and big flakes. I've seen 2 gram flakes.. like as thick as a piece of cardboard and the size of a quarter.

both can be pickers ..when relatively small.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends. On who you talk to. A "picker" is something I can pick up which is very small. To me a nugget is anything chunky over 1/8".

slink

Dec 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends. On who you talk to. A "picker" is something I can pick up which is very small. To me a nugget is anything chunky over 1/8".

I think ones area plays part. In my area its very rare to find anything +20 so that pic at the top would certainly be a nugget to me.

Wilderness medic

Dec 1, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are showing a Picker. A "Picker" is a small nugget you can pick up with two fingers. "Flake" gold is smaller than a picker. A "Nugget" is at least two-grams.:skullflag:

That’s a really weird number and I’m curious why 2 grams is the limit.

Nugget sounds like a shape more than a weight. I like the definition of width around the same as length. A flake that weighs multiple grams isn’t a nugget...? I wouldn’t call it one. A 1 grain piece that’s cube shaped or spherical seems more nugget like than a 3 gram flake to me. Or maybe anything that’s noticeably thick and not smooshed flat?

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
the second of the links above

gold-nugget.jpg

we return to my Tom Sawyer-ish nugget to kill a rat, 20 oz

I kind of like stc's "1/8" chunky", a bit of dimension plus a weight inference

edit: think photo is wrong

Last edited:
OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
billA....do ya make yur own gold pans...HA!

a pic from the gold museum, recovered nuggets from indigenous sites (bowl most clearly modern)

and yes, I do make pans - here is an in-process pan from the backside of the ss drum in a front-loading washing machine (MOST expensive)

001.jpg

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold is gold, it could be a flyspeck, fine, ruff, coarse, heavy, etc.. According to Seinfeld a picker comes from your nose, i DONT call gold pickers and ive been fortunate enuff to have been around my share..

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To me, a nugget is bigger than a BB, or TicTac. A picker is smaller, like a grain of rice or a sesame seed. Poppy-seed size to salt-grain size is "grain" or "dust"... Anything smaller than that I call "flour". Flakes are flat, regardless of how big, from glitter-size to corn flakes. Any flake bigger than that is OMG!
...but that's just me...

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet Jesus !!! Now them there ,are Nuggets ,in post 11 & 12

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kind of a moving target....I consider it a nugget if I can easily pick it up with my gloves on

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
In My Opinion if a snuffer bottle won't suck it up (won't fit) it's a Nugget. If it gets sucked up and makes a click it's a clicker.
Most clickers are pickers:tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions