First Pan Ever

NiNko

Sep 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today my work took me up to Montana, just outside Butte. I bought a pan about a year ago and never used it, today I figured why not, nothing else better to do after work.

This picture is from just 1 pan, 1 shovel full. Needless to say I now have a 5 gallon bucket of dirt to take home.

I feel like this is an EXCELLENT first pan. But Iā€™m so new so Iā€™m not sure.

Also, my panning skill sucks. Any tips would be helpful, Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™m loosing gold when Iā€™m doing it.

I decided to dig in the layer right before the black clay in the side of a bank on the river. You can see my shovel next to the hole

360D259F-A2EC-42F8-916A-95BA50388D8A.jpeg
C173F246-BAFB-4F30-840C-EB29CBFBC555.jpeg C173F246-BAFB-4F30-840C-EB29CBFBC555.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NiNko

Sep 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can I tell the difference. Still new to this

OP
OP
N

NiNko

Sep 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Son of a..... guess Iā€™ll put it all in a vial and give to to my 3 year old son. I was even in an area where people told me there was gold. What a waste of 5 hours

OP
OP
N

NiNko

Sep 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess Iā€™ll go try my luck back in Utah.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
simple test weather it is mica or gold, just block the light coming to it, mica will go dark but gold won't, no matter what you choose the right place to mine, good job. Don't give up and it sure looks like gold that I mine on a certain river here in Wa. state.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Son of a..... guess Iā€™ll put it all in a vial and give to to my 3 year old son. I was even in an area where people told me there was gold. What a waste of 5 hours

Not a complete waste, you leaned quite a bit. You gained experience.

Around my part of town a couple specks the size of a grain of sand is a decent pan. Prospecting is generally a waste of money too, not just time. But I get something for my money. Sluicing and panning is therapeutic. And I might just hit just the right spot...

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you can pan and just keep the mica you are doing a fine job of panning. Mica is not very heavy and tends to float out of a pan. Job well done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread