Who was going to alaska to dredge???

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably me. Was planning a trip this summer, but nephew didn't hold up his end. My friend who gave me the location info told me that it was better to have stayed home! His brother's land around Willow was spared by the fires, but everyone else got hit. From what I saw of the fire maps, we could have been trapped in the valley, and going over the mountains was our only way out if we couldn't get airlifted.

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably me. Was planning a trip this summer, but nephew didn't hold up his end. My friend who gave me the location info told me that it was better to have stayed home! His brother's land around Willow was spared by the fires, but everyone else got hit. From what I saw of the fire maps, we could have been trapped in the valley, and going over the mountains was our only way out if we couldn't get airlifted.

If he told you it was better to have stayed home, I am guessing the original report was greatly skewed. Based on your original reports, nothing would have kept me at home for those kind of numbers.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the gold in the world ain't worth dying for. You don't play games with forest fires.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I had the same problem about 5 years ago while dredging out in Wyoming's Medicine Bow Mountains . after driving 16 hours and then getting set up for the next day. We were in the water and I tasted a Smokey taste from my air compressor so I popped back up and EVERYTHING was foggy looking. Smokey was a more accurate description! So we went back to check on the condition and meet up with several Forest ranger's saying "get out of here right now!" .....needless to say we had to scramble. We meet up with Reed in Larime Wyoming that evening and had to cancel our plans for a week of dredging with him ! Better to be gone and NOT cooked !

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fires were not ever close to the location, however, more power to ya for what ever reason you decided to not explore the area.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main reason was not being ready to ship the gear in time. I had to have everything ready to ship by June 1. The fire I was worried about stayed north of the river, but if it had jumped, then we could be in trouble.

My stuff was ready, but his...
IMG_3195.JPG

Sucked having to unpack the first A-22 cargo bag after it was ready to go. Had to unpack to keep the food storage temps down, otherwise the drink mixes start tasting weird. Also that load had all the mining gear in it, and I needed the pans, and also I wanted to try the stream sluices out. I'll also have to pull the kitchen box apart for stuff that can freeze. But the good part is that everything was inventoried and weighed so repack will be easy in spring.
IMG_3193.JPG

OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Capt Nemo, you guys going this year? I'm looking forward to hearing about the adventure.

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dredging in Alaska is pretty tough anymore anyway, years ago i used a 3 box 5" had good luck but ground is hard to come by, if you have to helicopter in somewhere you'd better have some easy gold to pay your way

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really would like to get up there someday just to have the experience. I know some folks that dredge in Nome on one of those backhoe barge rigs sounds like a neat way to spend a summer. Hard to get the time off being self employed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread