Waders & Gloves - Need Advice

JeffA

Jun 13, 2019
RI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just started prospecting earlier this Summer, and plan to continue here in New England until the ground is rock hard frozen! With that being said, I'm at the point where I need to purchase some insulated waders, and gloves to continue working in the creeks which are getting chilly. I'm looking for any advice from cold weather prospectors on good brands/products for waders and gloves to do so. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Visit a trappers supply web store and pick up a pair of long arm rubber gloves. You can wear a pair of cheap brown jersey gloves for warmth under the rubber gloves. Wear some long johns under rubber waders and you're good to go.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
None will work, get used to the pain of mining in the winter. You can get hip waders 2x larger and where extra sox's but you will still loose feeling in your feet no matter what, been there and done that many years and as for rubber gloves they will get moldy, so smelly and slimy. There was time back about 40 years ago when I had the gold fever bad that without gloves I was hand digging a 3ft. deep hole in freezing cold water and got only 3 little flakes of gold and I was so happy, You will find out what works for you and that will take time and experience, best advise figure it out for yourself , you will be stronger for it.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thicker neoprene waders will be warmer - and the thickness of the neoprene is noted on the sales description, so 5mm will be warmer than 3mm. Wish I had paid more attention to my hands. After decades of freezing them ice fishing, I've damaged the capillaries and now cold weather is more painful in my hands.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
imho hip boots are better than waders

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Michigan we wear shorts and a t shirt, cold will only bother you for a half hour or so then your good to go....8-)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None will work, get used to the pain of mining in the winter. You can get hip waders 2x larger and where extra sox's but you will still loose feeling in your feet no matter what, been there and done that many years and as for rubber gloves they will get moldy, so smelly and slimy. There was time back about 40 years ago when I had the gold fever bad that without gloves I was hand digging a 3ft. deep hole in freezing cold water and got only 3 little flakes of gold and I was so happy, You will find out what works for you and that will take time and experience, best advise figure it out for yourself , you will be stronger for it.

figured out a long time ago that there is no such thing as "waterproof" when it comes to placer mining.

OP
OP
J

JeffA

Jun 13, 2019
RI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting......can you elaborate why hip boots and not waders Goldwasher? Thanks everyone for the info! I'm no stranger to cold weather fishing, however that didn't require being in the water as much. The creeks I generally hit aren't very deep, it's my hands I'm worried about more than anything.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting......can you elaborate why hip boots and not waders Goldwasher? Thanks everyone for the info! I'm no stranger to cold weather fishing, however that didn't require being in the water as much. The creeks I generally hit aren't very deep, it's my hands I'm worried about more than anything.
Generally you won't be in water deep enough to require chest waders while gold mining. Every ounce counts when packing gear to the dig site. It's not worth the extra weight and space considering your usually only up to your knees at most.

djqix

Feb 9, 2019
Phillipsburg, Warren County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's always the option of a dry suit for scuba. Can be had from $600 through $3000 for top of the line. Trilam was the most expensive last time I looked. Those don't insulate, you have to wear insulation under the suit. On the plus side, if you lose your footing and go down, you're not going to sink in a dry suit. Not so much in waders. Always have a cutting tool handy when you have waders on.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's always the option of a dry suit for scuba. Can be had from $600 through $3000 for top of the line. Trilam was the most expensive last time I looked. Those don't insulate, you have to wear insulation under the suit. On the plus side, if you lose your footing and go down, you're not going to sink in a dry suit. Not so much in waders. Always have a cutting tool handy when you have waders on.

For winter/spring dredging and deeper digging I like a dry suit. Buy it used. Reseal the seams as needed. Wear thrift store clothes OVER it to protect the neoprene from the rocks. Life is great!

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
For winter/spring dredging and deeper digging I like a dry suit. Buy it used. Reseal the seams as needed. Wear thrift store clothes OVER it to protect the neoprene from the rocks. Life is great!

Id like to see this thrift clothes over a dry suit.
Gt.....

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Here in Michigan we wear shorts and a t shirt, cold will only bother you for a half hour or so then your good to go....8-)

Same here in the desert its only cold the first hour after that its all about gettin gold!

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When we started working our claim, the water level stayed pretty low so $20 rubber boots from Wally World was good enough. Lately the levels have increased so now we use thigh waders with felt soles. It's still miserable after stepping in the hole and filling one boot up though.

Jbabycsx

Sep 19, 2019
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want waders that will last, I would buy some that are used for coon hunting. The ones I use to hunt are light weight and comfortable. The seams leak on the cheaper ones.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When we started working our claim, the water level stayed pretty low so $20 rubber boots from Wally World was good enough. Lately the levels have increased so now we use thigh waders with felt soles. It's still miserable after stepping in the hole and filling one boot up though.

Get rid of those felt soles! They will transport invasive species, and are illegal to sell/use in several states.

I'll second a drysuit, but I normally use a wetsuit. I wouldn't bother with a trilam drysuit, as you poke a hole in that and it continues to flood. Neoprene drysuits can handle a small nail hole and reseal. The newer neoprene suits are a lot warmer than ones made back in the 80's, so watch for heat exhaustion. I remember a hybrid drysuit that was neoprene from the waist down, and trilam on the top, but don't remember who made it. It might be a kayaking drysuit.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bulky in the way. hard to really travel in.. pain to pack. harder to regulate temperature. as you do generate a lot of heat while working. they are clumsy in general.

I don't mind them for fishing but the type of movement and work in prospecting is totally different.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get rid of those felt soles! They will transport invasive species, and are illegal to sell/use in several states.

I'll second a drysuit, but I normally use a wetsuit. I wouldn't bother with a trilam drysuit, as you poke a hole in that and it continues to flood. Neoprene drysuits can handle a small nail hole and reseal. The newer neoprene suits are a lot warmer than ones made back in the 80's, so watch for heat exhaustion. I remember a hybrid drysuit that was neoprene from the waist down, and trilam on the top, but don't remember who made it. It might be a kayaking drysuit.

Ours are used in one creek, in a state that they are legal. I won't use cleatted soles as they are dangerous on rocks, and just rubber soles are just as bad. Felt soles grab the rocks for "no slip" which is critical when working 2-3 feet of swift moving water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread