Value of keene boulder winch?

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
I picked up a pile of "misc mining stuff" of a face book ad today.
There were some small things i could use like a spare kawasaki engine with the plastic keene pump for my 2" back pack dredge, a 2" trash pump with honda engine, 150' of 2" fire hose, dive belt with 70# of weights, etc. But the "biggie" was a keene boulder witch in what appears to be very good condition. Been stored indoors for the last 6 yrs so i need to clean carb before i put fresh gas in it. Any idea on value of that beast?

Upvote 0

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know but I have one of those kawasaki engines with the plastic keene pump and it moves some water for how small and light it is.
Good score.
Cheers Mike

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up a pile of "misc mining stuff" of a face book ad today.
There were some small things i could use like a spare kawasaki engine with the plastic keene pump for my 2" back pack dredge, a 2" trash pump with honda engine, 150' of 2" fire hose, dive belt with 70# of weights, etc. But the "biggie" was a keene boulder witch in what appears to be very good condition. Been stored indoors for the last 6 yrs so i need to clean carb before i put fresh gas in it. Any idea on value of that beast?

Don't be too hasty with the carb cleaning unless you really, really want to. I just pulled my pressure washer out of the basement after three years of storage. Tank was dry. Added some fresh fuel and it started with three pulls. I was amazed!

OP
OP
V

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Mike, the one I have on my backpack dredge has always had a carb issue. It had set with mixed fuel in it for several years. I gave it a quick carb cleaning but probably should have gone deeper to start with. Maybe run a little Sea Foam through it next time I fire it up? I haven't messed with it much but when it runs its an amazing little pump. Just bring your ear plugs. This one has risidul 2 stroke mix gas sludge in the tank so I'm guessing it will need a thorough cleaning too. Winter work.

Russ & NGINY, The honda on the trash pump looks like it was run dry but there is a little junk in a low spot in the tank so I want to clean it out before I put fuel in it & try it.
The Briggs on the boulder winch had just under a quarter tank in it so I soaked the old gas up with a couple old socks (Which I disposed of properly) & put some fresh fuel in. Oil level in engine was good (although obviously time for a change) & the oil in gear case was low. I gave it about four pulls before it fired up & idled. Everything started turning slowly so I shut it down. Chains on reduction units need cleaned & lubed. Cable is excellent. Doesn't look like it was used much at all. Came with 2 16000# snatch blocks that look unused & a couple of smaller ones. I paid $300 for everything so I think I did ok.
Now I need to figure out how to operate the winch. Russ you have much experience with them? I may start a separate thread for that info. I'm sure Hoser has experience with them.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$300 for all that is a steal of the century. Your winch is worth at least $500 alone.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a guess that the winch is one of the Stapp winches they use to sell. A nice little winch when in the right hands. I would say you can get anywhere form $1,000 to $2,000 for it depending on how it looks and runs. Pay attention to the cable. If you are looking to sell it consider homesteaders, hobby ranchers, independent guys who like milling their own lumber etc... a much broader market these days and their market has a void of these kind of units. Make sure you get a copy of the bill sale from you to them "As Is" with some kind of wording they accept full responsibility for the use of the winch.. that is what made them stop making and selling them

ratled

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

The Stapps settled that suit for $1,500. The miner was using a Stapp winch rated for 9,500 pounds to move a 20,000 pound boulder. :BangHead:

That was a bad mistake by the miner and the man suing was badly injured. He did get a judgement from the miner but he was lucky to get the $1,500 from the Stapps because they did nothing wrong, their winch was being used well beyond it's rated load.

Heavy Pans

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Stapps settled that suit for $1,500. The miner was using a Stapp winch rated for 9,500 pounds to move a 20,000 pound boulder. :BangHead:

That was a bad mistake by the miner and the man suing was badly injured. He did get a judgement from the miner but he was lucky to get the $1,500 from the Stapps because they did nothing wrong, their winch was being used well beyond it's rated load.

Heavy Pans

No cure for stupidly

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread