Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A nugget can be a collectors item so the price it is sold at could be more than it's gold value at current gold prices. Note: No natural gold nugget is pure gold but most are close to or over 90% pure.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can any one tell me what a 2.44 grams gold nugget would be worth thanks Matt
Depends on the character of the nugget and the locale. Smaller placer nuggets (no insult intended) will usually bring 80% to 100% spot gold price (total weight of the nugget without regard to gold content). They will get resold to collectors for some percentage above that. Does it have quartz inclusions? Nuggets larger than a couple penny weight start to bring higher prices usually.

I don't know an exact weight cut-off for prices..but as always - it depends.

A single 2.44 gram nugget is not going to bring the same price as an ounce of similiar sized nuggets.

Post a picture up why don't you?

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the "We Buy Gold" buyers offer to pay 80% spot price of the actual gold content verified by a test of some sort, with the reasoning that they have to pay the refiner a certain fee...avoid selling nuggets to those types of buyers unless your just looking for fast cash.

Not that they are dishonest..they are just looking for a different type of seller. I'd compare it to a pawn shop. They simply will not cut into their profit because there are enough sellers that will accept their offer (especially after witnessing a scientific test showing 10% of the content isn't even gold and listening to the complicated process involved to separate the impurities) Then of course there is the story about having to sit on the investment until enough is purchased to send to the refinery. :laughing7:

Early on, I sold gold to a guy that paid 80% spot price of the actual weight.
He didn't want to be bothered with pictures, didn't care if it was flower or nuggets..the amount of gold didn't matter.
That tells you what a good deal it was for him.

Last edited:

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Matt my buddy sold a 2.2 gram nugget buy it now for $320.00 on ebay 4 months ago its the one on the bottom right.

Attachments

• 100_0366.JPG
    100_0366.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 93

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have paid 2x spot for nicer special nuggets in the past. Where they are from and how they look will let a nice looking command more than just spot.

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wonder how much it would of fetched if he left it in the nice quartz rock where he found it ? I told him leave it there. Photo of stone with nugget.

Attachments

• 20190423_112509.jpg
    20190423_112509.jpg
    664.6 KB · Views: 121

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how much it would of fetched if he left it in the nice quartz rock where he found it ? I told him leave it there. Photo of stone with nugget.
Lodged in a chunk of quartz..did they at least crush/pan it?

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lodged in a chunk of quartz..did they at least crush/pan it?
He did not crush it but did clean the nooks out good and found 2 little pickers, he then ran his detector over it with no signal. If there is more gold inside it would his detector pick that up ? thanks IMAUDIGGER.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i would crush that. hope he kept it.
brad

Last edited:

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A nugget can be a collectors item so the price it is sold at could be more than it's gold value at current gold prices. Note: No natural gold nugget is pure gold but most are close to or over 90% pure.

Exactly correct. The gold in the quartz matrix would be more valuable as a specimen piece than the gold by itself. Even the nugget out of the quartz will bring a bit more than scrap value.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
if you dont see gold that big very often, id keep it. i only sell placer dinks. once i sold a flat 2.5 gram and now wish i hadnt.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He did not crush it but did clean the nooks out good and found 2 little pickers, he then ran his detector over it with no signal. If there is more gold inside it would his detector pick that up ? thanks IMAUDIGGER.

Depends on a few things..
The biggest factor would be what detector and coil was used.
Secondly it would depend on the concentration of the gold...fine gold evenly distributed through the rock tends to be invisible to most detectors. Threads and pockets of gold are easier to detect. I've just never seen an apparent placer nugget wedged into a quartz rock.
That was a cool find.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread