asking for help

pertiga

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2019
Detector(s) used
Xp deus with HF and X35 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, until now I had a metal detector, but now I want to start prospecting gold, but the truth is that there are so many equipment that I am a little lost, I put my idea and if you can recommend me or tell me if I am correct. Thank you

I had first thought about taking material with this:

1524568367756.keeneminimaxbateasdeoro.jpg.png

Then I'm more lost, I don't know if the right combination is:
a. spiral concentrator + blue bowl + martin miller
b. gold cube + blue bowl + martin miller
c. anyother???

Finally, accessories such as the following:
- magnet black sands
- gold pan classifier kit
- any like this: https://www.amazon.com/Prospecting-...s=Gold+Rush+Classifier&qid=1570351697&sr=8-16
- what more i need???

thanks for your help, and sorry my english

Upvote 0

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're going for fine gold classify the material you are working.... An inexpensive hi banker is easily built or found used.
The grizzly on the hi banker will classified's your material to the size you are after... If your gold is fine .... Less than 1/8th inch then a 1/8th classifier will take care of that and the smaller stuff as well.
I beach mine and so mast of my gold is pretty much -100 mesh and smaller... I get some occasional 50 mesh but it is rare ... So the 1/8th inch punch plate works very well for any gold I will come across.
I use several different mats in my sluice... Vortex, sawtooth, Deep "V", and magnetic.
This gives gold of different sizes and shapes the best chance of getting caught on it's little journey through my sluice.

B685F114-F0C0-400C-BE0B-911DB2AD5492.jpeg B8AC7C75-B649-46CB-8BA9-11F37B39847F.jpeg 6EDA6E42-39F1-4FBE-A712-E931540E9254.jpeg 9F6A16CD-3B58-4F65-AD5D-2289A0C82E35_1_201_a.jpeg 256AA7AF-A6F7-4E0E-8402-A505C2F0D010.jpeg

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
The best sluice mat for super small gold is this:https://washingtonbeachmining.com/sluice-mats The Washington beach has some of the smallest beach gold in the U.S. Check out the videos on this site.
No.... It is not the best mat for super fine gold. It is a very good mat but you really want to use several different mats in the run of your sluice.... Don't just use One type of mat..... You WILL miss gold.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Secrete to mining small gold, go slow, give time for the sluice and the mats you choose to clear out before adding more material, patients is the key.

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just starting out like you are, if you just HAVE to have a sluice, get an Angus MacKirk (about $159) or Le Trap (about $100). They are plastic, light, and easy to use. No riffles to remove, no mats to clean separately. When you are done running it, just dump/rinse it into a 5-gal bucket to separate out the concentrates later. BOTH do a very good job at trapping fine gold - PROVIDED you get them set up well.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello, until now I had a metal detector, but now I want to start prospecting gold, but the truth is that there are so many equipment that I am a little lost, I put my idea and if you can recommend me or tell me if I am correct. Thank you

I had first thought about taking material with this:

1524568367756.keeneminimaxbateasdeoro.jpg.png

Then I'm more lost, I don't know if the right combination is:
a. spiral concentrator + blue bowl + martin miller
b. gold cube + blue bowl + martin miller
c. anyother???

Finally, accessories such as the following:
- magnet black sands
- gold pan classifier kit
- any like this: https://www.amazon.com/Prospecting-...s=Gold+Rush+Classifier&qid=1570351697&sr=8-16
- what more i need???

thanks for your help, and sorry my english

All of the devices you listed are final clean up tools. What you need is a small scale production device like a sluice or a high banker. The final clean up can be handles with a pan and some skillful hands

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It has been many years, and I was lucky to find a sweet spot on the North Fork of the American River in N. California, but I was fortunate enough to pull 5 ounces out of a bedrock crevice in just a couple hours using just a pan. It was 1972, and gold was $35/ounce then...I got $175.

Get good at "reading the river", using the pan to take samples, and to work your concentrates down to fines. Some even pan the black sands down to the point where only gold is left - who needs a blue bowl? The more expensive equipment can come later. Sluices, highbankers, and dredges basically only allow you to run more material, and in less time...but they are no better than a pan at recovery. Grab your pan, a small shovel and hit the gold fields...that's all you need to get started. Remember, gold is where you find it - and best place to start finding it is where it has been found before.
http://file.dnr.wa.gov/publications/ger_gold_panning.pdf

Last edited:

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, it's like anything, many different tools for many different purposes.
So, you wanna get all geared up to find a lotta gold huh? No messin' around right? Ok, so, let's say you buy all this gear, and then you go out and prospect around some to get the hang of it. Then, you realize you need some different kind of equipment to do what you actually really need to do. So, now you realize you bought the wrong equipment and go out to buy the right equipment.
So, how about this, buy a pan, buy a small inexpensive sluice, something like an EZsluice. A shovel or 2 and go see what it's like to find gold. Don't spend more than $100 and go out at first to have fun. Once you've gone out 5 or 6 times, you should start to understand what gear you will need to get the gold you have in your area. Never ever blindly go buy a bunch of gear without experience in the kind of job you need to do. There's all kinds of different types of material you will find gold in. My 2 cents would be just use a pan to learn how gold actually behaves in the material you are working. Then start buying what you deem necessary. Like I mentioned before, an in expensive sluice would help move material ONCE YOU LOCATE the gold using a pan to sample many many areas. Prospecting is an endeavor and has a learning curve. Do yourself a favor and start out panning, and sluicing and make it fun. I hope you find a lot of it, and have a great time as well!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread