keene 12volt vacuum not sucking

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
its a echo leaf blower ,that keene modified to go on a 5 gal bucket.you can see the nozzle on the bottom right. thanks brad
IMG_20191009_225008.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
so i just took this thing apart,looks like i can space the fan out closer to the housing and maybe put a 1/4 screen over the inlet.
any more ideas????

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
If I'm not mistaken there is a filter inside of these and it could be blocked up OR the plastic fan blades could be wore down OR both OR the assembly could be leaking at the barrel causing the vacuum leak ! Good luck !

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made one a few years ago, a DIY project.Sounds like the impeller is shot.If yours has a 'plastic' one replace it with a metal one.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gotta replace parts. Remember, when you are running that thing, you are basically sanding down the impeller blades. Take the whole thing apart, clean the hell out of it and replace everything that looks worn.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad --- have you checked all the seals to make sure they're air tight -- maybe a small leak could reduce the suction.
I'm sure you have but might be worth a re-check.
I made one a while back and it worked good but the blower would like to fight me to start.
Echo is a good blower -- mine came out of a dumpster and I should have left it there.
Cheers Mike

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I'll be the one...

Sounds like it sucks just fine.

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
the seal look ok.but the fan looks a little beat up.i will clean it up and try to space it out closer to the housing.it will also test some screens over the inlet.i will test it by timing how long it takes to empty a 1 gallon bucket. thanks
Brad --- have you checked all the seals to make sure they're air tight -- maybe a small leak could reduce the suction.
I'm sure you have but might be worth a re-check.
I made one a while back and it worked good but the blower would like to fight me to start.
Echo is a good blower -- mine came out of a dumpster and I should have left it there.
Cheers Mike

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the hose attaches to the side of the bucket right?

The bulkead used for the passthrough/hose attachment has a deflector Hopefully?

You should have it set up to where only dust is going through the fan. You can zip tie/hose clamp a rag to make a particle apron.

You have to empty the bucket more often but, you won't have to worry about sucking actual dirt or sand through the fan.

If that is what has worn the fan. Keep in mind any loss of blade surface will degrade the thrust.

To check for leaks other than just looking. Run the unit empty. Hit it with a mist of water enough that it will build up outside but such through. Just don't blast hard enough to force water in.

If there is a leak you'll have water in the bucket.

I've used a DIY with that motor. And the Vac Pack. forget what it used. They had ample Suction. Even moving small gravel.

Long hose too. The narrow oval suction end is about all i would neck it down. You can fab up a mini nozzle with a thrift store or yard sale. Household vacuum.
Just but it on the end for detail work.

I agree with Jason. A full breakdown and part replacement should be step one. Replace Fan with metal one if possible. Like mentioned. Then set it up to lessen wear.

Hopefully you make the thing really SUCK:laughing7:

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
well i found it.the hose ends where silicone on .it went bad and they were sucking air.i took the hole thing apart and cleaned and reseal it.i glued the hose ends on.works great again.THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT IT REALLY HELPED.
brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread