jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Petroleum Centre daily record. [volume] (Petroleum Center, Pa.), 02 April 1869.

000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...ext=&andtext=&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

Upvote 0

barrelroll

Dec 14, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a cool article. There were a couple gold mines in the UP. I'm not sure if this property ever got worked, everything I know of was north of US 41 and not south like the article states the location. Ropes gold mine was in production in the 1800's and then from the 70's to early 90's but it is north of US41 in Ishpeming not south in Negaunee. The eagle mine is in production currently and is a nickel/ gold property

Crewsader

Apr 24, 2013
Hi, I’ve read a story some years ago while searching Michigan gold and I believe this is where they “salted” the ground to get funding and might have even sold shares, fraudulently.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
[In 1869, Waterman Palmer sold several parcels of land to the Cascade Iron Company near the town which bears his name. He revealed that a small vein of gold-bearing quartz existed there. The iron company sampled the vein and found up to $900 worth of gold per ton of ore. The vein was too small to be mined profitably and was soon forgotten.]
Gold

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a patch of public land further north that I want to take a look at near the Eagle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions