Tunneling - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Tunneling

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #16
    us
    Oct 2009
    8,917
    8098 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoegold View Post
    The F150 is too small. An F250 minimum is required to haul a car trailer. They wouldn't even be allowed to hook up an empty trailer. Do not use a pintail type hitch either, that puts the potential tow weight into the Class B liscence catagory. So, F250 or bigger, 2" ball hitch for you. You won't be taking it over steep dirt trails. Car trailers are low. You cant get them to deliver off road. In that case, you can have them deliver a full size backhoe/loader and drive it in. Bring a drum of deisel...
    Absolutely not true! An f-150 has a WIDE range of cargo and towing capacities. you dont need anything close to a 1 ton truck, and people safely tow car haulers (and much bigger TTs) with F-150s every single day. One of those mini excavators wouldnt even be noticeable unless you were trying to go over mountain passes and then that would only make you slow down about 10mph

  2. #17
    us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    5,553
    12074 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Dawg View Post
    Ok thanks for that. We have access to bigger trucks (F250) for hauling and can rent a bigger truck/trailer if necessary.

    This whole thing is going to be a learning experience. The first few times are going to be slow-going but to be honest we’ve both wanted to learn heavy machinery for a long time. We are finally in a position to pursue this level of commitment. I will even consider getting a Class B license. Lots of options to consider and I appreciate your laying down the obstacles we need to overcome.

    It’s not going to happen quickly but the only way to get experience is to simply break out of the comfort zone and do it.

    If lucky and we don’t do anything too stupid in life we have a good 20 years of productivity ahead of us. Plenty of time to learn.

    Thanks again for taking the time to instruct on this important part of mining.

    Chuck
    I'm getting ready to head to Sac. BLM today. would send you a longer private message.

    My partner with the dozer and I would both be into some desert time. There could be a chance in the future to get at least us and it out there for a week or so.

    I can talk to him. So rent what you want etc. but. keep that in mind before you go buying anything.

    I see your claims for sale on CL still..we both would love to spend some time out there . I still want to meet up with you anyway.

    Just keep that in mind. We can talk more later.
    Last edited by Goldwasher; Nov 09, 2019 at 11:11 AM.
    Rail Dawg and Clay Diggins like this.

  3. #18
    us
    Oct 2009
    8,917
    8098 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Dawg View Post
    We have access to bigger trucks (F250) for hauling and can rent a bigger truck/trailer if necessary.
    Do yourself and your budget a favor before renting more equipment. Find what you want to use and get the weight of it. Add that to the weight of the hauling trailer and then see where that falls into the listed towing specs for your truck. Make sure that you take into account what the tongue weight will be and make sure you arent going to exceed the vehicle or axle ratings. Most people run out of tongue weight capacity before they exceed towing capacity.

    last note: even though you can change the tongue weight by where you place the load, you need to be at roughly 13% total trailer and cargo weight on the hitch. If you try to play with positioning to make the tongue lighter, you will likely end up with a load that "porpoises" on you and makes towing unsafe.
    akflyer, BillA, Rail Dawg and 1 others like this.

  4. #19
    us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    5,553
    12074 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    Absolutely not true! An f-150 has a WIDE range of cargo and towing capacities. you dont need anything close to a 1 ton truck, and people safely tow car haulers (and much bigger TTs) with F-150s every single day. One of those mini excavators wouldnt even be noticeable unless you were trying to go over mountain passes and then that would only make you slow down about 10mph
    I can tow 12k pounds with my 2012 f150... maybe not down dirt desert roads but...yea you can haul a lot.

  5. #20

    Jun 2017
    139
    173 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoegold View Post
    The F150 is too small. An F250 minimum is required to haul a car trailer. They wouldn't even be allowed to hook up an empty trailer. Do not use a pintail type hitch either, that puts the potential tow weight into the Class B liscence catagory. So, F250 or bigger, 2" ball hitch for you. You won't be taking it over steep dirt trails. Car trailers are low. You cant get them to deliver off road. In that case, you can have them deliver a full size backhoe/loader and drive it in. Bring a drum of deisel...
    I guess if your used to fords you might have issues. I haul a heck of a lot more with my 1500 Silverado. A 2" ball on a car trailer? I have moved a lot of car trailers and I have never seen an actual car hauler that did not use a 2 5/16" ball. Along with the 24-28' boats I haul all summer or the 26' enclosed trailer I haul loaded down with toys. Most issues don't come from pulling the load, but stopping the load. Good trailer brakes and airbags on the truck take care of most of those worries. My proudest moment was hauling my buddies F350 dually diesel behind my lowly 1500 Silverado. Yeah, I might have take a few extra victory laps around town before I dropped it off at the mechanics shop.
    Jason in Enid and Rail Dawg like this.

  6. #21
    us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka Gold Trap 24" Sniper,God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload,MD App,Determination
    255
    267 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Dawg View Post
    Ok thanks for that. We have access to bigger trucks (F250) for hauling and can rent a bigger truck/trailer if necessary.

    This whole thing is going to be a learning experience. The first few times are going to be slow-going but to be honest weíve both wanted to learn heavy machinery for a long time. We are finally in a position to pursue this level of commitment. I will even consider getting a Class B license. Lots of options to consider and I appreciate your laying down the obstacles we need to overcome.

    Itís not going to happen quickly but the only way to get experience is to simply break out of the comfort zone and do it.

    If lucky and we donít do anything too stupid in life we have a good 20 years of productivity ahead of us. Plenty of time to learn.

    Thanks again for taking the time to instruct on this important part of mining.

    Chuck
    That's exactly what I'm offering. Stuff to know to overcome obsticals. So, there's 2 kinds of controls, John Deer "Wobble Sticks" and "Case" levers. I noticed most pros like Case controls. Once you learn one, it's hard to change. I liked the John Deer for beginning as there's only 2 sticks. The case was more complicated, however, I knew which action I was going to perform because that's what each lever did. One function. If you want, I think a rental yard would let you explore the operations of these controls in the yard before you rent. They may even help you to understand the operations. It doesn't take a special Liscence. The bigger/regular size backhoe/loaders require a transport/large truck to deliver. If you have a friend that can do that it would save money. I hope you have a good claim and do well!
    Rail Dawg likes this.

  7. #22
    us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka Gold Trap 24" Sniper,God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload,MD App,Determination
    255
    267 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoegold View Post
    That's exactly what I'm offering. Stuff to know to overcome obsticals. So, there's 2 kinds of controls, John Deer "Wobble Sticks" and "Case" levers. I noticed most pros like Case controls. Once you learn one, it's hard to change. I liked the John Deer for beginning as there's only 2 sticks. The case was more complicated, however, I knew which action I was going to perform because that's what each lever did. One function. If you want, I think a rental yard would let you explore the operations of these controls in the yard before you rent. They may even help you to understand the operations. It doesn't take a special Liscence. The bigger/regular size backhoe/loaders require a transport/large truck to deliver. If you have a friend that can do that it would save money. I hope you have a good claim and do well!
    Hi GW,
    Yes, you can haul that much with an F150. However, there is an issue with stopping and therrfore the need for the F250 which is heavier and can stop that weight. So, even if you can haul that, you are illegally on the road. There are laws about this. Also, if you have a pintal hitch instead of a 2" ball, then the potential weight that can be hauled becomes Class B Liscence material. It's not the weight that they look at entirely, it's also what the trailer is rated for. A car trailer becomes capable of 26,000lbs with a pintal hitch. (This is all examples to explain this point) even empty, at that point, onlt a Class B will do and the right size vehicle as well. Part of the reason they have weight limits printed on the bumper is for legal load reasons, not just for knowing how much the truck handles. Driving a heavy load is dangerous and can get you a ticket worth 2 points! Just so you understand, since this topic came up... TG
    Rail Dawg and Clay Diggins like this.

  8. #23

    Jun 2017
    139
    173 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoegold View Post
    Hi GW,
    Yes, you can haul that much with an F150. However, there is an issue with stopping and therrfore the need for the F250 which is heavier and can stop that weight. So, even if you can haul that, you are illegally on the road. There are laws about this. Also, if you have a pintal hitch instead of a 2" ball, then the potential weight that can be hauled becomes Class B Liscence material. It's not the weight that they look at entirely, it's also what the trailer is rated for. A car trailer becomes capable of 26,000lbs with a pintal hitch. (This is all examples to explain this point) even empty, at that point, onlt a Class B will do and the right size vehicle as well. Part of the reason they have weight limits printed on the bumper is for legal load reasons, not just for knowing how much the truck handles. Driving a heavy load is dangerous and can get you a ticket worth 2 points! Just so you understand, since this topic came up... TG
    Using a pintle hitch on a car trailer that has 5k axles on it does not in any way make it capable of hauling 26k. By changing the hitch alone a trailer will not magically be able to haul more weight than it was designed for. Your call on trying to put 26k on a typical car trailer, but the issue will not be stopping it, it will be getting it rolling with the tires flattened and jammed up against the fenders so tight that they can't possibly roll.

    I have hauled trailers up and down the road from AK to Louisiana and just about all point in between with a half ton dozens of times. I haul them on snow and ice covered roads, dirt roads and goat trails. Somehow, by some great miracle, I and literally 10s of thousands of others do it each and every day.

  9. #24
    us
    Mine President, XPBC, GIH, stamp mill operator, snuffer bottle owner.

    Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    714
    819 times
    Prospecting
    I found an old drift mine that I daydream about working, it has massive potential but it is in a poor spot, while there is an existing adit it is in a really poor spot so I would have to go up and sink a shaft to get in there, even if I could get my truck in there the amount of lumber I would need to shore it all up alone would sink the project.

  10. #25
    us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka Gold Trap 24" Sniper,God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload,MD App,Determination
    255
    267 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by akflyer View Post
    Using a pintle hitch on a car trailer that has 5k axles on it does not in any way make it capable of hauling 26k. By changing the hitch alone a trailer will not magically be able to haul more weight than it was designed for. Your call on trying to put 26k on a typical car trailer, but the issue will not be stopping it, it will be getting it rolling with the tires flattened and jammed up against the fenders so tight that they can't possibly roll.

    I have hauled trailers up and down the road from AK to Louisiana and just about all point in between with a half ton dozens of times. I haul them on snow and ice covered roads, dirt roads and goat trails. Somehow, by some great miracle, I and literally 10s of thousands of others do it each and every day.
    I have no beef with you. I understand that 100s of folks do this. I hope that this thread will cause folks to read up on the legalities and not rely on hearsay. It would be best if folks found out weather or not they are in legal jeopardy before they risk the consequences for themselves and their family. The weight is not the trailer alone. There's the truck towing, the trailer and the load on the trailer, all being stopped by the weight of the truck that is towing. That is what the law was concerning. Not me.
    et1955 likes this.

  11. #26

    Mar 2016
    2,039
    3126 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Jason has it right about running out of tongue weight capacity.
    Recently towed a 7100 pound mini-excavator on an 8000 lb. rated car trailer.

    1/2 ton pick-up did not have the tongue weight capacity to properly load the equipment on the trailer.
    It did not tow well at all and wanted to dangerously sway in a compounding manner.

    There was no power or stopping issue. Just couldn't load it properly. Would not recommend it.
    I borrowed a 3/4 ton diesel truck to tow it back and had zero problems.

    I can tell you that the micro tractors/excavators mentioned above are going to be terribly undersized for digging pay gravel at 12-15 foot in depth. I'd go bigger..

    Many rental companies will deliver/pickup for a fee.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Nov 09, 2019 at 02:51 AM.
    Clay Diggins and Rail Dawg like this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

  12. #27
    us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    5,553
    12074 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Jason has it right about running out of tongue weight capacity.
    Recently towed a 7100 pound mini-excavator on an 8000 lb. rated car trailer.

    1/2 ton pick-up did not have the tongue weight capacity to properly load the equipment on the trailer.
    It did not tow well at all and wanted to dangerously sway in a compounding manner.

    There was no power or stopping issue. Just couldn't load it properly. Would not recommend it.
    I borrowed a 3/4 ton diesel truck to tow it back and had zero problems.

    I can tell you that the micro tractors/excavators mentioned above are going to be terribly undersized for digging pay gravel at 12-15 foot in depth. I'd go bigger..

    Many rental companies will deliver/pickup for a fee.
    you can move quite a bit of material with a 2 ton excavator...and its small enough that you can move it into the ditch you are digging as you go deeper.

    Ive seen pools dug that way. and not into aluvium.I'd want a little bigger at least... but a mini ex... is gonna move a lot more material faster than guys digging
    Tahoegold likes this.

  13. #28
    us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka Gold Trap 24" Sniper,God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload,MD App,Determination
    255
    267 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    Absolutely not true! An f-150 has a WIDE range of cargo and towing capacities. you dont need anything close to a 1 ton truck, and people safely tow car haulers (and much bigger TTs) with F-150s every single day. One of those mini excavators wouldnt even be noticeable unless you were trying to go over mountain passes and then that would only make you slow down about 10mph
    Hello Jason,
    I used to be the guy at the counter at a large rental company. I wouldn't have known about all these rules and laws if I hadn't worked that job. I understand what you are saying about the F150 being "able" to haul loads. I am separating "able" from "Legal". Car trailers, by law, require a 1 ton pickup to even have them hooked up empty. I want to be clear so someone reading this doesn't have the wrong idea. It's not the truck's capability that I'm talking about. The way to know is by looking on the tongue of the trailer. It will have 2 different weight capacities. One for a 2" ball and one for a Pintal hitch. The weight capacity is the: Towing Vehical weight + The Trailer weight + the load weight.
    If you drive an F150 with any car trailor even empty, and get pulled over, you can expect a ticket. How do I know? I used to deliver equipment as well. I have been pulled over. The officer read the wrong weight limit on the trailer. He read the pintal hitch weight limit. That put my 1 ton truck into Class B, and I was asked for my medical papers and Class B lic. My company went to court to explain that the trailer had a 2" ball, and brought photos of the trailer tongue weight limits. The courts realized I was legal and dropped the ticket. I remind you, I was empty, nothing on the trailer. It's all about the potential weight limit, not the actual load. If someone reading this wants to do a little research on the requirements in their state or country, I would recomend doing so to stay out of trouble.
    An F150 is a 1/2 ton vehicle. An F250 is a 1 ton vehicle. Towing is only half the equation. Stopping is the part that can cause a serious accident. A half ton is not rated to stop a loaded car trailer. And, you will be cited when pulled over. If you cause or are even just involved in an accident, you may not be covered by your insurance as you would be driving illegally. I hope this helps to understand clearly what I'm trying to say. I just want folks to be safe on the road and not get into trouble with the law.

  14. #29

    Mar 2016
    2,039
    3126 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    you can move quite a bit of material with a 2 ton excavator...and its small enough that you can move it into the ditch you are digging as you go deeper.

    Ive seen pools dug that way. and not into aluvium.I'd want a little bigger at least... but a mini ex... is gonna move a lot more material faster than guys digging
    In all reality...a 12-15 foot cut to pay gravel is quite the chore without the right equipment.
    The overburden starts to add up quickly.

    I once tried to ramp down into an excavation to dig a 20' deep test hole using a backhoe.
    It turned into a huge pit with not much room to dig and no way to get the material to the surface.
    Tahoegold and Rail Dawg like this.
    All treasures found with permission on private property or on active mining claims.

  15. #30
    us
    Oct 2015
    Northern Nevada
    MineLab GPZ 7000 Garrett ATX Pro
    334
    495 times
    Prospecting
    What's odd is all over Seven Troughs (Nevada) there are holes dug into the overburden to reach bedrock. Some of these holes are 100-200 ft down. Don't know if once they hit the bedrock they then tunneled horizontally.

    Having seen this type of hole it's why we thought it was common practice to dig this way. Even after 100 years the holes haven't caved in on the sides... the compacted gravel looks to be quite solid.

    Back then they didn't have the heavier equipment we have today. It wasn't practical to remove a large area of overburden to get to the bedrock.

    We understand now it's foolish to tunnel in this type of material. We thought with proper shoring it could be done. This apparently is not the case.

    Thanks!

    Chuck
    Last edited by Rail Dawg; Nov 12, 2019 at 12:41 PM.

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. tunneling in consolidated aluvium
    By seafox in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Feb 18, 2019, 01:15 AM
  2. Tunneling moles
    By bzbadger in forum Comedy Central
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep 26, 2018, 10:04 PM
  3. Underground Bases - Tunneling Techniques
    By BuffaloBob in forum Psychics/Mediums/Paranormal
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 16, 2012, 01:49 AM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0