Tunneling - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 39 of 39
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Tunneling

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #31

    Mar 2016
    3,248
    4967 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Dawg View Post
    What's odd is all over Seven Troughs (Nevada) there are holes dug into the overburden to reach bedrock. Some of these holes are 100-200 ft down. Don't know if once they hit the bedrock they then tunneled horizontally.

    Having seen this type of hole it's why we thought it was common practice to dig this way. Even after 100 years the holes haven't caved in on the sides... the compacted gravel looks to be quite solid.

    Back then they didn't have the heavier equipment we have today. It wasn't practical to remove a large area of overburden to get to the bedrock.

    We understand now it's foolish to tunnel in this type of material. We thought with proper shoring it could be done. This apparently is not the case.

    Thanks!

    Chuck
    I'm not sure how many mines in the US rely on drifting through gravel deposits. I'd guess not many.

    There is a video that was posted here awhile back that showed a mining operation in Washington I think, where they were using a skid steer with a rock breaker to advance a drift tunnel in densely packed river bed. I only seem to remember seeing shoring near the entrance.

    If it had to be continually shored up, the material would have to pay well.

    I've thought about drifting (because that was a common practice in my area)..but it's never gone beyond a thought..I think I'd just rent a large excavator and strip overburden before I'd mess with tunneling.
    Rail Dawg likes this.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

  2. #32

    Mar 2016
    3,248
    4967 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I think this is the video I was thinking of..enjoy. It looks easy!

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jMRSkxxUMpE
    Rail Dawg likes this.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

  3. #33
    Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2015
    Northern Nevada
    MineLab GPZ 7000 Garrett ATX Pro
    452
    775 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    I think this is the video I was thinking of..enjoy. It looks easy!

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jMRSkxxUMpE

    Hey great video. Looks just like what we've seen in a dozen old mines lol.

    Apparently shoring not deemed necessary?

    Good point about it simply being better to clear the overburden with machinery. Especially at the shallower depths we're looking at.

    Thanks.

    Chuck

  4. #34

    Mar 2016
    3,248
    4967 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I've got some drift tunnels near my property that have 1 ton boulders hanging from the ceiling.
    The material is densely packed, but not cemented. No shoring at all, even at the now collapsed entrances.

    I always try and remember what drove them to take such risks. It wasn't always "gold fever" or rich ground. It could be pure necessity or desperation - Maybe they HAD to scrape up some gold to pay their tab in town otherwise they wouldn't have winter provisions.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Nov 13, 2019 at 11:05 AM.
    BillA and Rail Dawg like this.

  5. #35
    us
    Feb 2015
    Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
    516
    728 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Dawg View Post
    Hey great video. Looks just like what we've seen in a dozen old mines lol.

    Apparently shoring not deemed necessary?

    Good point about it simply being better to clear the overburden with machinery. Especially at the shallower depths we're looking at.

    Thanks.

    Chuck
    The tunnels at Liberty are in cemented alluvium. The first time I went in one I was pretty wary but after being in them after a while I was very confident of their integrity, not to say I wasn’t still careful because you never know when a rock does decide to come loose.
    Clay Diggins, et1955 and Rail Dawg like this.

  6. #36
    us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka Gold Trap 24" Sniper,God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload,MD App,Determination
    294
    290 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Rail Dawg View Post
    What's odd is all over Seven Troughs (Nevada) there are holes dug into the overburden to reach bedrock. Some of these holes are 100-200 ft down. Don't know if once they hit the bedrock they then tunneled horizontally.

    Having seen this type of hole it's why we thought it was common practice to dig this way. Even after 100 years the holes haven't caved in on the sides... the compacted gravel looks to be quite solid.

    Back then they didn't have the heavier equipment we have today. It wasn't practical to remove a large area of overburden to get to the bedrock.

    We understand now it's foolish to tunnel in this type of material. We thought with proper shoring it could be done. This apparently is not the case.

    Thanks!

    Chuck
    Interesting reading about 7 Troughs
    https://westernmininghistory.com/tow...seven-troughs/
    Rail Dawg likes this.

  7. #37
    cr
    May 2005
    Drake, Costa Rica
    1,766
    2599 times
    Tahoegold and Rail Dawg like this.

  8. #38
    us
    Mar 2016
    Tahoe, CA
    Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka Gold Trap 24" Sniper,God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload,MD App,Determination
    294
    290 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by BillA View Post
    The article says they purchased in June 2012. Not sure if it fell through or if it's still going.

  9. #39

    Mar 2016
    3,248
    4967 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoegold View Post
    The article says they purchased in June 2012. Not sure if it fell through or if it's still going.
    based on the values presented via. modern exploratory corings...they are not doing much.
    Clay Diggins likes this.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

 

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. tunneling in consolidated aluvium
    By seafox in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Feb 18, 2019, 12:15 AM
  2. Tunneling moles
    By bzbadger in forum Comedy Central
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep 26, 2018, 09:04 PM
  3. Underground Bases - Tunneling Techniques
    By BuffaloBob in forum Psychics/Mediums/Paranormal
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 16, 2012, 12:49 AM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0