Sluice plans? Additional tips?

Jul 25, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone,

I just recently became interested in prospecting. I don't want to spend the money on a sluice box or highbanker yet because I'm a beginner and I don't want to put a lot of money into something I haven't had much experience with. So I was wondering if anyone knew of some good plans to build a fairly simple sluice? Also I live in Maryland. Not the greatest state for gold. Any tips for prospecting in my area?

Thanks,
Luke

Upvote 0

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2011_0405Mttohuntdeer4th0001.JPG Cant get any easier or cheaper than this(for fine gold) . Four foot long home gutter down spout run off thing.And some V matting...And it works ! :)

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can just use a door mat/rug and lay it in a small trough you dig in the creek. Dump dirt onto it and if there is gold in the dirt it will get stuck in the fibers. To clean it out you will need to let it dry and shake it out onto a tarp or something then pan it out. Maybe crude, but it will tell you if any further investment is justified. The rug/carpet should have a backing to it.

Boarteats

Mar 25, 2018
Near Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sluices aren't necessarily expensive. I bought a 24 inch sluice from Sluice Fox for $50. Does the job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions