If you could move where would it be work/prospecting "not prospecting for a living"

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been daydreaming of North Carolina. There were some Huge nuggets found out there. 28, 25, 17, 15 pounds! When gold was discovered in CA, NC was mostly forgotten about. Best of all, it's mostly private, so there haven't been the hoards of public beating it to death for the last 170 years. I think dredging is AOK too. Find an old farm that has been in one family since forever, with a creek or river running through it, and work for them. Only need to find one 25 pound speck every once in a while. If the farm doesn't pay well enough, just go out and catch a couple of them Giant Bluefin Tuna for 10-20k apiece.

I have put a lot of thought into dredging NC. Gas is cheap, got family in Tennessee and know a sweet gal in NC I miss hanging out with. I would have to buy or build another dredge n gear to keep out there probably at my sisters house. My whole family moved back east I'm left here in California, I'm stubborn I guess I'm not ready to give up on my home because of people from SF/LA and the failed leadership in Sac.

Last edited:

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been daydreaming of North Carolina. There were some Huge nuggets found out there. 28, 25, 17, 15 pounds! When gold was discovered in CA, NC was mostly forgotten about. Best of all, it's mostly private, so there haven't been the hoards of public beating it to death for the last 170 years. I think dredging is AOK too. Find an old farm that has been in one family since forever, with a creek or river running through it, and work for them. Only need to find one 25 pound speck every once in a while. If the farm doesn't pay well enough, just go out and catch a couple of them Giant Bluefin Tuna for 10-20k apiece.

I have put a lot of thought into dredging NC. Gas is cheap, got family in Tennessee and know a sweet gal in NC I miss hanging out with. I would have to buy or build another dredge n gear to keep out there probably at my sisters house. My whole family moved back east I'm left here in California, I'm stubborn I guess I'm not ready to give up on my home because of people from SF/LA and the failed leadership in Sac.

Guys, I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking about the Eastern US states. I too have been dreaming about North Carolina, because I've got family in the Raleigh area and I can work in the Charlotte area (with the ability to live a decent distance from my "work".) Today I live in New Jersey but in a few years I may be in a position to relocate, and North Carolina is #1 on the list of likely states to move to (with Virginia, South Carolina and Georgia also on the list).
Let's keep the dream alive in some way; maybe those of us interested in the Eastern US states should have our own thread... (or a Private Message group going....)
- Brian

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I went to school in New Jersey, I never even thought about treasure hunting while I was there, in retrospect I kick myself as I had access to some great ground to metal detect for relics.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Idaho in 4.1 years.
Retired at least 8hrs a day to fix and make things, then I want to run a backhoe to feed a small wash plant I'm going to build on my own claim for as long as I live :occasion14:

Hey Mike, where are you headed in Idaho? Look forward to seeing you here.
Jim

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was in Plumas County early October. Stayed in Crescent Mills. It was our anniversary trip so I didn't even try to pan.

Did catch some trout though. Took a few really nice drives. $( back home I'd never taken that particular section.

Hey GW, next time you're up this way, let me know. We usually do a group dig at th claim Memorial weekend. Hefty has been here as well as MTTS. I'm trying to get a mini Ice Cold Gold reunion for next Memorial weekend with MadJack and Chad Watkins. I have room for a couple more if you're interested.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey GW, next time you're up this way, let me know. We usually do a group dig at th claim Memorial weekend. Hefty has been here as well as MTTS. I'm trying to get a mini Ice Cold Gold reunion for next Memorial weekend with MadJack and Chad Watkins. I have room for a couple more if you're interested.

I will definitely try. Make sure to remind me as it gets closer.

Esotericvalue

Feb 10, 2019
WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the money fell out of the sky I would take a lake view home in Tahoe, plenty of good gold with in an hours drive, skiing, sailing, golf, how in the world could you ask for more

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the money fell out of the sky I would take a lake view home in Tahoe, plenty of good gold with in an hours drive, skiing, sailing, golf, how in the world could you ask for more

You remind me of how lucky I am. I have all of that and dredging here in Summit County Colorado!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread