I use this placer mining to get under HUGE Boulders! - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: I use this placer mining to get under HUGE Boulders!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    17626 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I've posted this before but maybe you haven't seen it or don't know of it. In some locations...Stealth is your friend .
    >>

us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    9241 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CGC Miner View Post
    Some prospectors have asked about what blaster I use. In certain situations, this can have excellent results.
    This is a video I compiled at a county workshop.
    Have you guys used one? Do you like it?
    Cheers
    Hey CGC, so we gonna start using this on the new base camp river boulders?
    You can follow me in other places.
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

Dec 2015
    50 times
    I have used tire chains the hook end wraps around the boulder simi snug and the free end hooked to come along. it helps drag the boulder out of the way the biggest one I have moved took two tire chains hooked end to end too go around it

us
    gravelSucker

Aug 2011
    NY, AZ & NV
    Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep.
    257 times
    Prospecting
    If you must blast a huge rock, not much explosive is required if you create a shape charge. Place a conical or cone shaped charge on top of the boulder and initiate. Place the cap at the top facing DOWN or a loop of det cord at the top.
    The view is always better with 500 feet of air under your buttocks.

Mar 2016
    5185 times
    Those 4 ton boulders affect the river hydrology and as a result where gold collects.

Blasting a 4 ton Boulder is kind of like busting out all of your crevasses in the bedrock instead of just cleaning them out.

Eliminating a natural trap that works every flood.

A smart miner I know (my dad) understands that if he has to roll boulders off a crack to get at the gold...rolling the boulder back over the crack restores the gold trap for next year or years after that. Not that he rolls 4 ton boulder around, but he understands how the boulder affects the flow. It’s not something very many people consider. Why specifically is the gold where you find it. Is it because of the crack, or because of the crack and the boulders upstream and over it causing the gold to slow down and drop into that crack.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Oct 31, 2020 at 09:00 PM.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1186 times
    Prospecting
    A 4 ton boulder versus a major flood, the rock will move, nothing in a river is permanent, gold and boulders will find a new place after a major flood. The river is always fluid not static.
    Clay Diggins and russau like this.

Mar 2016
    5185 times
    Quote Originally Posted by et1955 View Post
    A 4 ton boulder versus a major flood, the rock will move, nothing in a river is permanent, gold and boulders will find a new place after a major flood. The river is always fluid not static.
    “The river is always fluid”
    I won’t argue with that one. ; )

After the high waters (not major floods), you can go back and find gold in the same locations as you did earlier. In the low pressure zone behind large boulders, in crevices located in particular strategic spots. I’m not saying I wouldn’t want to move around some large boulders.

I’m still waiting for a 100 year flood that rolls Volkswagen sized boulders down the river channel. I hope it happens in my lifetime. Otherwise there are many winters replenishing gold without really changing the riverscape.

We have a swimming hole below our house that hasn’t changed much at all in my lifetime. We still dive off the same rocks every summer (that slid into the river in the 1970’s) and the beach is always in the same location. The water currents are the same.
    My dad said that before the 64 flood, the river was on the other side of the canyon and there was no swimming hole.
    In that instance, I’m sure glad nothing has changed in a half century. Probably will not have a swimming hole after the next major flood.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Nov 01, 2020 at 11:41 AM.
    Reed Lukens likes this.

us
    Ed Tracy

Jan 2015
    Shoreline,wa
    Equinox 800
    1186 times
    Prospecting
    Back in late 1995 here in Washington state we had a hundred year flood and it was awesome, I personally pulled out over 2lbs. of gold because of it and I still mine those deposits but they are running out. Hope you get that same experience.

Mar 2016
    5185 times
    We had a flood in 1997 that was described as a 100 year flood in some areas, but it was nothing compared to the floods of the 50’s and 60’s.

I think it takes those big floods to really move the gold around.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Aug 2015
    Northeastern Sierra's
    1454 times
    I guess you could say my little creek had a 100 year flood just a few years ago. What's normally a low flow, babbling brook, swelled enough to wash out half the paved road just upstream of the confluence with the Middle fork Feather river. The landscape had changed but it stayed in it's current footprint. The gold is still there, but it has moved.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    1592 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ncclaymaker View Post
    If you must blast a huge rock, not much explosive is required if you create a shape charge. Place a conical or cone shaped charge on top of the boulder and initiate. Place the cap at the top facing DOWN or a loop of det cord at the top.
    There's a little more to it than that! The charge requires a blast liner like a copper cone, has to be detonated at the exact center, requires uniform charge density (no pores in the explosive), requires "high" explosive like RDX, and requires proper stand off distance and a missile proof bunker to hide in a good ways away. And then, you'll only blow a narrow hole in the rock maybe big enough to stick in a stick of dynamite.
    Clay Diggins, russau and alan m like this.

us
    Silver Fiend

Oct 2009
    9241 times
    honestly, thats horrible charge to use on a rock. Thats the whole reason you drill a hole to put the charge in. Shape charges are for breaching, not blasting.
    Capt Nemo, Clay Diggins and alan m like this.
    You can follow me in other places.
    My Blog
    My YouTube
    My Twitter
    My Instagram
    My Facebook

us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    1592 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Enid View Post
    honestly, thats horrible charge to use on a rock. Thats the whole reason you drill a hole to put the charge in. Shape charges are for breaching, not blasting.
    Yeah, tell me about it! About the only blasting use of shaped charges is to make holes to add dynamite for ditching or cratering on frozen ground or concrete. Their main use is cutting and punching holes in steel.

RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    17626 times
    This winter I'm heading out to a creek to move some boulders in search of gold underneath. They will range in size from 2 to 4 foot in diameter.Do you guys think something like this will do the trick ? Only moving the rocks just enough to dig under them.
    >> https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-4...5547/205544452
    And a couple of these >>> https://www.homedepot.com/p/Keeper-2...2630/206032321

Aug 2015
    Northeastern Sierra's
    1454 times
    Here's an oldie but goodie:
    RTR likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links