I use this placer mining to get under HUGE Boulders!

Koalajones

Nov 10, 2019
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Radio shack detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dont even know what to say I'm jealous and excited that's freaking awesome :blob8:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's cool and the price for the system is very reasonable

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool and the price for the system is very reasonable

do the new systems still require a generator? or are they the battery trigger now?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm old school. 20-ton Hydro jack and two 3-foot pieces of 2" x 4". :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 54757-3931457.jpg
    54757-3931457.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm old school. 20-ton Hydro jack and two 3-foot pieces of 2" x 4". :thumbsup:

I'm trying to figure where and how you use the two 2x4's? I need to move some boulders next season and was thinking maybe a hydraulic jack in the mix? So far I'll be packing in 18lb pry bar and come-along. While I'm here I should ask you guys about drilling granite for a bolt or eyelet to hook come-along onto....any thoughts? TIA.....

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm trying to figure where and how you use the two 2x4's? I need to move some boulders next season and was thinking maybe a hydraulic jack in the mix? So far I'll be packing in 18lb pry bar and come-along. While I'm here I should ask you guys about drilling granite for a bolt or eyelet to hook come-along onto....any thoughts? TIA.....

Youll need to capture progress when lifting, i use a variety of sizes 2x4, 4x4, 6x6, i call this stull wood. in mining or lifting heavy stuff one needs to like i said capture progress.
Also one needs a solid base for the jack keeps it from sinkin into the sand.
Grab a stull !!
Gt.....

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Youll need to capture progress when lifting, i use a variety of sizes 2x4, 4x4, 6x6, i call this stull wood. in mining or lifting heavy stuff one needs to like i said capture progress.
Grab a stull !!
Gt.....

Oh, youre talking about cribbing.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No cribbing is for holding in back fill, capture progress is for lifting.
This might depend on what part of the country your from ?

No, its a term used everywhere I know of for holding/supporting a load. Fire and rescue trucks carry stacks of 4x4s to crib items as they perform lifts so that if the lifting fails or needs to be reset, the cribbing holds the load. Cribbing is just holding a load.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
do the new systems still require a generator? or are they the battery trigger now?

That would be cool to have, I did see somewhere a while ago that the battery was being worked on. I think the original Micro-blaster fire by just pulling a string and the II you can fire off a small tank of compressed air like a paintball gun tank. What's the difference between the micro and the sierra blaster as far as what makes it go boom?

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grab a stull !!
Gt.....

Thanks GT..... Kinda figured it's be for something like that. One thing for sure tho….next spring I'll be packing some 2x's etc. along because of this thread and info!!!!!!

Thanks again!

OP
OP
CGC Miner

CGC Miner

Nov 18, 2010
High Rockies
Detector(s) used
GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great tool for us. We use it in combination with small heavy equipment and a gas powered winch.
Later in the video you can see where I hook up a winch to a piece of the boulder to pull it out of the way.

To ignite the charges a generator or blast box is needed.
Since I use a corded hammer drill, I use the same generator to ignite the charges.

If you have a battery or gas powered hammer drill then by all means use the Blast Box. It is a small handheld device run off batteries and produces the necessary current for ignition through capacitors.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've posted this before but maybe you haven't seen it or don't know of it. In some locations...Stealth is your friend .
>>

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some prospectors have asked about what blaster I use. In certain situations, this can have excellent results.
This is a video I compiled at a county workshop.
Have you guys used one? Do you like it?
Cheers

Hey CGC, so we gonna start using this on the new base camp river boulders? :skullflag:

seafox

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used tire chains the hook end wraps around the boulder simi snug and the free end hooked to come along. it helps drag the boulder out of the way the biggest one I have moved took two tire chains hooked end to end too go around it

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you must blast a huge rock, not much explosive is required if you create a shape charge. Place a conical or cone shaped charge on top of the boulder and initiate. Place the cap at the top facing DOWN or a loop of det cord at the top.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those 4 ton boulders affect the river hydrology and as a result where gold collects.

Blasting a 4 ton Boulder is kind of like busting out all of your crevasses in the bedrock instead of just cleaning them out.

Eliminating a natural trap that works every flood.

A smart miner I know (my dad) understands that if he has to roll boulders off a crack to get at the gold...rolling the boulder back over the crack restores the gold trap for next year or years after that. Not that he rolls 4 ton boulder around, but he understands how the boulder affects the flow. It’s not something very many people consider. Why specifically is the gold where you find it. Is it because of the crack, or because of the crack and the boulders upstream and over it causing the gold to slow down and drop into that crack.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread