Home Panning Set Up

Millz90

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys....I was just out panning in my garage and dealing with dirty water and carrying the panned dirt out of the garage when I’m done and draining the water and thought there has to be a better set up.

So I thought it would be a good idea to post on here and see what everyone else’s set up looks like and if they have a way to recirculate or clean the water easily some how.

Here is what I’m dealing with. After about 3/4 or a 5 gallon bucket, the water is destroyed and I can see anything really. But it does work and I can do it in my garage.

View attachment 1773662 85F2F6F1-067C-4A78-A6C2-B31C88A7EFF0.jpeg 7641CC78-163C-4AF2-8C1E-DF2AEC7155EF.jpeg

Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hook up a pool filter maybe? Or use less water so its easier to change, I use a cement mixing tub its alot more shallow then the tubs you have...

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I'm with Toecutter. You are making a lot of work for yourself with those huge tubs. I use a baby bath tub. Small and has a drain plug. Better than a mixing tub. Too bad you have that clay paydirt. You don't really have to see what you are doing when panning down. When I get down to the black sand, I drain the water out of the pan and add small amount of clear water as needed to separate out the gold. I keep a jug at my feet. Here in cold country, I save this operation for when I can't get out. During the season, I bring home 10-12 pails of concentrate.

Attachments

• baby tub.JPG
    baby tub.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
M

Millz90

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah my though on the wash tubs is that it has a hose drain at the bottom so I just lower that down and drain the am water when needed but the larger rocks clog the hose so it doesn’t work the best and I end up scraping most of the dirt out with a bucket.

How do you pan in such a small space?!? This wash tub is filled with dirt when I’m done. Do you just keep emptying the baby bath when it gets full?

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When you get home, dump your 5 gal of paydirt into a wheel barrow outside. Fill with water then use a potato rake or similar to work your stew back and forth. Decant the muddy water and repeat the process several times. Soon you will have clean paydirt to pan and your panning water will stay clean much longer.
glacial mud 2.jpg

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just pre-wash the material good outside with a hose,gets rid of most of the mud .

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah my though on the wash tubs is that it has a hose drain at the bottom so I just lower that down and drain the am water when needed but the larger rocks clog the hose so it doesn’t work the best and I end up scraping most of the dirt out with a bucket.

How do you pan in such a small space?!? This wash tub is filled with dirt when I’m done. Do you just keep emptying the baby bath when it gets full?

I scoop the dirt out occasionally with a coffee can into a pail. The tub size works well for me. Even with the 14 inch pan. All we have here is fine gold. I classify to 1/4" at the stream. Can't see hauling rocks home.

whistler84

Jun 9, 2015
BEAN FIELD ,IL
Detector(s) used
Whites MX-7 / Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not just use a red ryder wagon? You could just silicone the bolt holes, then you have an easy way of dumping

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys....I was just out panning in my garage and dealing with dirty water and carrying the panned dirt out of the garage when I’m done and draining the water and thought there has to be a better set up.

So I thought it would be a good idea to post on here and see what everyone else’s set up looks like and if they have a way to recirculate or clean the water easily some how.

Here is what I’m dealing with. After about 3/4 or a 5 gallon bucket, the water is destroyed and I can see anything really. But it does work and I can do it in my garage.

View attachment 1773662 View attachment 1773660 View attachment 1773661

Number one reason why panning anything other than samples and cons back at home.

Just isn't all that fun.

In containers wetting dirt to pan it for its first time is always gonna be a muddy cluster.

Best bet is to concentrate with a recirc sluice outside. Then pan your relatively clean cons in water that you can actually see through.

If you have access to water in the field even for just panning to concentrate . Do it there.

Bringing buckets home to run. just isn't productive.

Prior to recirc sluice Classify down to say at least 1/4 inch If you feel like you have muddy clay dry lumps. Break those down in a bucket with water then classify the wetted washed material

Your just trying to introduce as little sediment and organics as possible.

This is a nice set up for recirc and dealing with muddy water. i set one up for a customer a few years back and it worked great. ran a BIG 110v waterfall pump in the third tub.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One thing you can do is to submerge a container or even another gold pan in your tub and pan over it/into it. Drain and empty the solids from the container periodically. As long as you are panning dug dirt or unwashed concentrates you are going to have to deal with dirty water so if you can, bring home to pan only prewashed material or concentrates.

Good luck.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also do the safety pan method, I submerge a pan and pan over it to catch my dirt.

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just do it in the backyard and dump the water in the lawn afterwards for the plants. Be sure to cover your paydirt when you're not panning it, my dumb cats have actually pooped in it once when I wasn't looking! :BangHead:

IMAG0755.jpg

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
I just do it in the backyard and dump the water in the lawn afterwards for the plants. Be sure to cover your paydirt when you're not panning it, my dumb cats have actually pooped in it once when I wasn't looking! :BangHead:

View attachment 1774246

Dumb Cats --- no such thing --- Mine has done the same thing and knocked over gold pans drying gold in the sun.
She's very mischievous a trouble maker and a ***** but not dumb.
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions