My Land Matters

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A lot of the information presented on Land Matters maps is proprietary. In other words it's not something we can give to you in any form but as it's presented on the map. Otherwise I would have already given you a button so you could save a copy. :thumbsup:

Your best bet is to make the map the size of your screen and make a screen copy. That's really easy on Mac (command/shift/4) but not so great on Windows. There are a bunch of pay apps that will do it for you but I really don't know enough to recommend one.

Heavy Pans

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use land Matters as a data source. and build my maps on google earth pro.

You can add overlays and GIS data. PLSS is better on Landmatters. there used to be a good PLSS for google earth but it's gone now.

I use a the TOPO on both. Cross reference with the county parcel map. Pull whatever surveys I can get from the county. Spend hours and hours on the ground confirming.

I save spots on my phone and verify natural landmarks.

Google earth has measuring and I can carry over data from my phone. I'm sure many know what you can do with it. I will say my mapping is very accurate.

But, it relies on a lot of data Land Matters is key for research, verification and inspiration. Google Earth lets me save it all. Edit amend and fly around it....
It's also how I get those proprietary stiffs to PARTY a little:occasion18:

I do wish it had better land status layers. Not that I wouldn't be using LM still just more visual reference.

i don't mind having both programs open:occasion14:

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

You can add overlays and GIS data. PLSS is better on Landmatters. there used to be a good PLSS for google earth but it's gone now.

I use a the TOPO on both. Cross reference with the county parcel map. Pull whatever surveys I can get from the county. Spend hours and hours on the ground confirming.

Google earth has measuring and I can carry over data from my phone. I'm sure many know what you can do with it. I will say my mapping is very accurate.

But, it relies on a lot of data Land Matters is key for research, verification and inspiration. Google Earth lets me save it all. Edit amend and fly around it....

I do wish it had better land status layers. Not that I wouldn't be using LM still just more visual reference.

Same. Only difference is I don't find as much gold as you :laughing7:

OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Land status is why I was asking about this, past displays of property boundaries around one of my claims on MyLandMatters showed that I could only access threw a private property road or by river rafting from up river but now the road and property above my claim is showing that it is now FS land on MyLandMatters. MLM is a great resource but as it states it's accuracy is not 100% so no matter what go to the local County Recorders office of the area you are interested in to find out what you need to know.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Land status is why I was asking about this, past displays of property boundaries around one of my claims on MyLandMatters showed that I could only access threw a private property road or by river rafting from up river but now the road and property above my claim is showing that it is now FS land on MyLandMatters. MLM is a great resource but as it states it's accuracy is not 100% so no matter what go to the local County Recorders office of the area you are interested in to find out what you need to know.

Look into the Assessors office. and Survey Office at your county. There will me surveys and parcel numbers you can get to narrow things down and confirm. My county has an online interactive version. Like pretty much all online "maps" there will be inaccuracy. Land matters too. But with those."official" maps from the county. You can go out and fine pins in the ground and Section corner markers.

All it takes is finding one of those and you can find another and another and so on.

A private parcel in-holding in public lands Is typically a patent. It will have an APN#

I've been able to find quit claim deeds for patents. Re-surveys where The surveyor went out and fount the 19th century monuments and amended the original Chain and link distances to modern measurements. Putting in the modern Pins ..stuff like that that adds to your resolution on the ground.

My partner uses ON -X on his phone. It doesn't show your current position. I don't know if it is applicable to PC.

Another key thing for me is using a PC with a large screen. We live in a world where everyone is trying to use a phone app. It's just too small for me.

It's nice to carry the info into the field with you. But a real familiarity on the ground...burned into your noggin is the most important part for me.

I did just find this and so far its pretty badass https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=47.12995,-120.14648&z=8&b=mbt

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice form Goldwasher, I will just add that Onx will show your position in the field. You just need to download maps for offline use, if you dont use or have cell tower connectivity. I was able to locate some old patent pins in the past, with great accuracy, but I have also seen other areas where the property lines are all shifted one way or another. Lots of variables to throw you off, I suppose.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice form Goldwasher, I will just add that Onx will show your position in the field. You just need to download maps for offline use, if you dont use or have cell tower connectivity. I was able to locate some old patent pins in the past, with great accuracy, but I have also seen other areas where the property lines are all shifted one way or another. Lots of variables to throw you off, I suppose.

I think Ole was using the free version :laughing7:

I found "extra" pins last week. making it look like a lot was split. Cross fence too. Pin to pin. But. the parcel map says different.

I got a number off of the pin to reference. I'll see what they have at the surveyor.

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cal topo mapper is really good. Hit on the map builder button and then click it again for the drop down list of basemaps

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Cal topo rocks :headbang:
I like how it has the topo maps to pin point the old mines then switch to google earth maps to see it as it is today.
Back to eating turkey and the pie is in the oven.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Mike

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another vote for Caltopo. Obviously land matters is powerful, but if I just want to see topos or land status, I use caltopo because it’s faster than land matters or google earth overlays. I started using caltopo years ago for planning hikes. Pro tip for caltopo, look at the weekly high res or daily low res base map imagery if you’re wondering about snow conditions in a certain area or just want to see the most recent imagery.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not knocking land matters it rocks and is the best of it's kind :headbang:
I like some of the features on caltopo
Cheers Mike:occasion14:

OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guy's, checked out Caltopo and it is correct on the FS land boundaries and it matches my claim boundaries, the area in question was my claim just up river from Happy Camp, when I first got on MLM. the topo was correct but a year later they change the topo source and according to the new topo I lost half my claim but I know my claim is correct. I know it wasn't correct because I checked all the boundaries for the claims for the New 49's claims around my claim and they too according to this new topo program MLM's is using to display FS land they lost land too. But will say MLM's does show the proper boundaries on my 2 other claims in N.Cal.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure Barry knows why we do what we do and are not detracting from MLM.

Yesterday Was the first time I used cal topo pretty cool.

The download of my Deer unit is cool. But is off on where the section line is where my original claims are. By a lot.

Showing blm over a house in our subdivision.

My main point of reference is always section lines and corners. If you see an overlay that has section lines and it's not matching the section lines on the topo. Be weary of that overlay.

OP
OP
et1955

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So true GW, those overlays are not correct.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pretty sure Barry knows why we do what we do and are not detracting from MLM.

Yesterday Was the first time I used cal topo pretty cool.

The download of my Deer unit is cool. But is off on where the section line is where my original claims are. By a lot.

Showing blm over a house in our subdivision.

My main point of reference is always section lines and corners. If you see an overlay that has section lines and it's not matching the section lines on the topo. Be weary of that overlay.

Both weary and wary!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both weary and wary!

good catch Kevin... I had the word leary on the tip of my tongue too:tongue3:

Bummer that you can't edit posts for spelling/grammar after they're up for a few days. I make mistakes I catch later often. My fingers are faster than my brain.

lo9l... i mean lol

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread