Ever see mineralization like this while hunting gold? New to me.

Boarteats

Mar 25, 2018
Near Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Apologies in advance for the “what is this” question. I’ve gotten pretty good at identifying rocks and minerals in my area, but I’ve not seen this before. Any thought on what the dark mineralized areas are. My best guess was a telluride. I believe that the host rocks are feldspar.

I’ve started to find mineralization like this in an area where I’ve found a pretty good amount of silver (in the form of silver chloride) and am starting to find some really fine gold (only a very small amount so far). Gold is getting better as I dig down. These rocks came from a layer of very densely packed gravel and rock a few feet below stream bed (not hard pack). I originally believed that these rocks simply had been covered with manganese dioxide. However, breaking some of them revealed that the mineralization is inside as well, quite a lot of it.

640D5D74-5F62-4982-BDD0-53598ED3A31D.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like iron residue, the stuff black sands is made from. It's always good to find the black sands.

OP
OP
B

Boarteats

Mar 25, 2018
Near Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like iron residue, the stuff black sands is made from. It's always good to find the black sands.

Lots of iron oxides in this stream. I've collected a small bucket of magnetite along with other dark heavies left over after panning. The reddish brown portion could have an iron oxide component ..if not entirely iron oxide. However, the dark grey material doesn't look like iron oxides to me. Admittedly, prospecting is a hobby, so my experiences are minimal.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not enough mineralization to give a thought to. Near as I can tell the samples are stained.

Bejay

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like common staining from exposure.

The mineralization of loose rock and cobble will tell you very little.

You need to find mineralization in the country rock. Concentrations of it. You have to consider the whole of the earths crust is mineralized..Your looking for the sweet spots.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is some gold ore:

Attachments

• rocks A020.jpg
    rocks A020.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 81
  • rocks 051.jpg
    rocks 051.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 71
  • rocks 048.jpg
    rocks 048.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
B

Boarteats

Mar 25, 2018
Near Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is some gold ore:

What is your host rock, feldspar, quartz, calcite? Most of the rocks that I’m finding look very similar. Should be easy enough to crush my rocks and pan, I suppose. I additionally have silica rocks (maybe quartzite) that have a crazy amount of iron staining. Also, has various sulfides, purple/blackish. These, are too hard for me to crush. However, great for polishing with an angle grinder:)

OP
OP
B

Boarteats

Mar 25, 2018
Near Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
looks like common staining from exposure.

The mineralization of loose rock and cobble will tell you very little.

You need to find mineralization in the country rock. Concentrations of it. You have to consider the whole of the earths crust is mineralized..Your looking for the sweet spots.

This info helps a lot! Sounds like all one can do with alluvial deposits is look for concentrations of heavy minerals such as iron, since that will be where gold will tend to settle. Specific rock composition isn't terribly informative since alluvial deposits are a hodgepodge of rocks that came from somewhere else.

I know someone nearby who has what appears to be an extremely weathered outcrop of dark rock on their property. Also, has white quartz in ground but I don't know if I am seeing large chunks of quartz that came from elsewhere or if the quartz is part of a larger body of buried rock. Might be time to make a new friend.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread