Old Gold Mines

Millz90

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys....I know this might be a repost but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I am looking for a site, I believe it was a geological site where I could see where gold mines where...old and new. I think it was like MDR MRI something like that around minerals and I would check what mineral I was looking for, gold, of course and it would bring up a map with pick axes showing where the mines where.

Does anyone know what site that was and could you post it? I am looking for North Carolina specifically if that matters.

Basically i'm looking for old mines and new if there are any still.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Upvote 0

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mylandmatters.org has what you are looking for! :occasion14:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw a map like you are looking for. The Charlotte, NC area was completely covered with crossed pick axes. All paved over now.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys....I know this might be a repost but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I am looking for a site, I believe it was a geological site where I could see where gold mines where...old and new. I think it was like MDR MRI something like that around minerals and I would check what mineral I was looking for, gold, of course and it would bring up a map with pick axes showing where the mines where.

Does anyone know what site that was and could you post it? I am looking for North Carolina specifically if that matters.

Maybe this is the site that you were thinking about(?).....https://www.mindat.org/loc-4033.html

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MRDS it's a clickable layer on my land matters. You can get it as a layer for Google earth.

It's 40 to 70% accurate sometimes.

OP
OP
M

Millz90

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe this is the site that you were thinking about(?).....https://www.mindat.org/loc-4033.html

This wasn't the site but has the information I think. The site I use to goto you could click on the pick axes and it would tell you information about the mine...when it was in service, what it actually mined. things like that.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This wasn't the site but has the information I think. The site I use to goto you could click on the pick axes and it would tell you information about the mine...when it was in service, what it actually mined. things like that.

you can upload the mrds gis to google earth it will populate the pick axe or x's when you click it will take you to the USGS/mrds info files.

Any online overlay doing that is using the same mrds/usgs file data. regardless of if they tell you that or not.

On mylandmatters they will populate as yellow orange dots

the topo mineral overlay will populate cross picks for mines. x's for prospects. click the " i" ( info) cursor click on the area and or dot/map symbol. you will get a drop down box with the usgs/mrds info. As well as claim info or other info depending on the map and overlay checked

The easy way is what its called. It's up to you to use it.

OP
OP
M

Millz90

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can upload the mrds gis to google earth it will populate the pick axe or x's when you click it will take you to the USGS/mrds info files.

Any online overlay doing that is using the same mrds/usgs file data. regardless of if they tell you that or not.

On mylandmatters they will populate as yellow orange dots

the topo mineral overlay will populate cross picks for mines. x's for prospects. click the " i" ( info) cursor click on the area and or dot/map symbol. you will get a drop down box with the usgs/mrds info. As well as claim info or other info depending on the map and overlay checked

The easy way is what its called. It's up to you to use it.

Gotcha...thanks for the instructions. There is a LOT of information to sort thru and a LOT of different functions to figure out. I did see the orange dots and everything its just hard on the mylandmatters site to see what roads are what. You cant really zoom in when you turn on the roads and when you do its very blurry. Great site though with a TON of information!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha...thanks for the instructions. There is a LOT of information to sort thru and a LOT of different functions to figure out. I did see the orange dots and everything its just hard on the mylandmatters site to see what roads are what. You cant really zoom in when you turn on the roads and when you do its very blurry. Great site though with a TON of information!

hmm the roads were fixed at my request? A while ago. if your on a phone it may be an issue. i see them fine on a PC.

Make sure you always zoom into your area before clicking on overlays. then refresh the page via the MLM sidebar

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread