Got me some stackable classifiers! Woot!

Boarteats

Mar 25, 2018
Near Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very excited and can’t wait to try out my new classifier screens. Up to now, I’d been using only one just to screen out the big rocks. Really curious to see if this will improve my gold collection.

Came as a set of 5. Not sure if the most fine screens will be useful. Anyone use such fine screens?

Hoping that I get some descent weather tomorrow!

1A1AC6B0-B88D-430F-89B3-109C96B3F167.jpg

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately yes I do -- I think my smallest it 60 mesh -- I have 30 and 15 Mesh and use them the most.
+15 mesh is a picker to me.
Cheers Mike

Mike..Have you ever quantified an increase in your recovery rate compared to only using say a 1/4" screen? Are they used for primary panning or classification of sluice concentrates prior to final cleanup?

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Use the smaller mesh screens at home to classify your concentrates.......Screening and panning batches containing only like sized material makes cleanup panning easier with less chance of losing gold to your tails. When you do that then the gold is at a major advantage as it is likely close to 3 or more times as heavy as other similar sized particles.

Good luck.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck sounds exciting

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What sizes did you get? Depending on local conditions (size of gold, what gear I’m using, waterflow, etc) I’ll use anything from no classifying down to 12 mesh in the field. At home it’s ALL the sizes below that. I regularly go down to 30/50/70 mesh at home. If i have a lot of cons, I’ll do 40 & 60 too. After panning I save the fine stuff until I have enough to bother with - then I pull out the 100 mesh classifier to see what really fine gold escaped my notice before. I doubt I’ll ever get enough gold to pay for the 100 mesh though!

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Mike..Have you ever quantified an increase in your recovery rate compared to only using say a 1/4" screen? Are they used for primary panning or classification of sluice concentrates prior to final cleanup?
I use a 1/4" and 1/2" in the field sometimes -- this fall I would let the drywasher do the classifying -- Lately I screen my Drywash cons to 15 mesh only then pan from there -- Most of the gold I'm finding is -15
Cheers Mike

OP
OP
B

Boarteats

Mar 25, 2018
Near Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What sizes did you get?

Description says sizes are: .5, .25, .125, .083, .050. (Inches). Gave them a try yesterday. Used 3 largest in field. Was really nice. Made it much easier/faster to pan material down to concentrates. Classified the concentrates when I made it back home. Again, made it much easier to process material. Caught a gold flake in the .050 classifier. Caught a few bits of small gold and a bunch of silver (chloride) that passed through the .050. Interestingly, I didnt have time to dig so ran some material that I'd already panned once and discarded in stream.

I'm sold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Boarteats

Mar 25, 2018
Near Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Quick update. Might be useful to others who are thinking about classifying their cons but haven’t yet seen started.

I’m currently in the throws of classify/re-panning all of my cons collected over the past couple/few months. Net result of classifying before panning: I’m finding a lot stuff that I’d missed first go around.

Not a whole lot of new, obvious gold. However, I’m finding a lot of silver (chloride). More interestingly, I’m finding quite a lot of very fine heavies. Some of it ...might... be gold coated with some variety of dark material. Will try soaking a sample in HCL. The rest (most) of it is really odd. Thought it was sand at first due to its color (silvery-tan) . However, it’s really heavy ... whatever it is. It’s way too heavy to be sand. Ends up being the last stuff in my pan after everything else washes out. Should be fun solving this mystery.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Quick update. Might be useful to others who are thinking about classifying their cons but haven’t yet seen started.

I’m currently in the throws of classify/re-panning all of my cons collected over the past couple/few months. Net result of classifying before panning: I’m finding a lot stuff that I’d missed first go around.

Not a whole lot of new, obvious gold. However, I’m finding a lot of silver (chloride). More interestingly, I’m finding quite a lot of very fine heavies. Some of it ...might... be gold coated with some variety of dark material. Will try soaking a sample in HCL. The rest (most) of it is really odd. Thought it was sand at first due to its color (silvery-tan) . However, it’s really heavy ... whatever it is. It’s way too heavy to be sand. Ends up being the last stuff in my pan after everything else washes out. Should be fun solving this mystery.

The black coating is probably a manganese compound. The silvery-tan dense stuff could be a tin compound although that’s not terribly common.

OP
OP
B

Boarteats

Mar 25, 2018
Near Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The black coating is probably a manganese compound. The silvery-tan dense stuff could be a tin compound although that’s not terribly common.

I need to toss other minerals pan with in the sand looking material to get a rough estimate of its specific gravity. I know that it’s much heavier than zircon, which I have an abundance of. I need to double check, but I recall that it’s also heavier than magnetite.I have some fine silver and flour gold, so will measure against these.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions