Anyone still watching Gold Rush White Water, what are they doing wrong?

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Gold+Rush+White+Water

I'm surprised Discovery is still funding them, their last two seasons have been a disaster. They've already sunk almost $100k at this point I think. The creeks have a history of gold mining, they're using three dredges in two sites yet at their current season they've only got around 1 ounce after 6 weeks of dredging. What exactly are they doing wrong?

Upvote 0

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After auditioning for this production company a couple times, they called me and wanted me to be in a new show. I was told it was based around dredgers working in whitewater, rapids and waterfalls. I tried to explain to them that this is not where you would look for gold and it was the most dangerous place to dive. They didn't care and wanted this for the drama...I told them to pound sand.
They found other actors and this is the show.
It's not a dramatic show about gold mining. It's a gold mining themed show about drama.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
On Dustin's crew's that supposedly are dredger's I was surprised that these "dredger's" let their tailings end of the dredge under water and effect the flow of the riffles that are submerged! No wonder that Kayla's dredge was losing gold! Now she has extended the sluice and put a float under the added section of sluice for a better recovery ! I was Alway's taught to pan your tailing's as you go to check for your gold loss ! Shes doing better now !

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to Ryan after he went on the show because they couldn't figure out a way to safely pull the boulders... So he asked and I told him what was needed and after all was said & done, he couldn't convince them to do it the right way, my way, with a ramp and safe sloped walls. Lifting boulders out of a vertical walled hole is not smart... They just don't have the experience pulling boulders like so many of us do.
To me, it's comical and just so slow. I like watching it, but their progress is snail paced when compared with experienced dredgers. If they had been taught how to dredge by dredgers, you wouldn't be seeing cables breaking all of the time... or a tiny dredge hole that takes them weeks, where it would take us just a few hours.
Baskets? I mean.... Really?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread