Hello, brand new to this thread!

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got myself a small nugget this fall, first one ever! It’s my personal best find, and I’m so used to flower gold that this one almost knocked me over! But I’m looking at getting it cleaned up a bit. I don’t necessarily want it perfectly cleaned, i’d like to retain some of its personality. But I have no idea how to go about cleaning it. Any help would be super helpful! IMG_3299.jpg IMG_3300.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SportsmanAll

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got a message from Steve. He doesn't have a website but has some pictures on instagram. You can look up his name there. Unfortunately for us, he's considering retiring from gold smithing soon and isn't taking on more business.

Oh man. Just my luck!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soaking and shaking in vinegar and salt is the simplest/safest way and very effective.

Mostly it depends on what is making the piece dirty.

Don't try to buff it with anything mechanical. Over polishing is not a good attribute to add.

I clean dirty raw gold every few days sometimes every day. I actually carry a small snuffer with salt vinegar mix in my pocket as i detect. Pieces go in as I detect. They agitate as I'm working and hiking around. By the time I get home and rinse them they look great.

I also have a battery powered handheld water pic that works great for blasting out little nooks and crannies.

These were all cleaned with vinegar and salt.
bits.jpg foil.jpg A jeweler will get the piece as clean as it needs to be. to mount it. Then will clean the whole ring very well after it is made.

A jeweler who says he doesn't know how to "deal with it" doesn't even deserve to handle it.

OP
OP
SportsmanAll

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soaking and shaking in vinegar and salt is the simplest/safest way and very effective.

Mostly it depends on what is making the piece dirty.

Don't try to buff it with anything mechanical. Over polishing is not a good attribute to add.

I clean dirty raw gold every few days sometimes every day. I actually carry a small snuffer with salt vinegar mix in my pocket as i detect. Pieces go in as I detect. They agitate as I'm working and hiking around. By the time I get home and rinse them they look great.

I also have a battery powered handheld water pic that works great for blasting out little nooks and crannies.

These were all cleaned with vinegar and salt.
View attachment 1782035 View attachment 1782036 A jeweler will get the piece as clean as it needs to be. to mount it. Then will clean the whole ring very well after it is made.

A jeweler who says he doesn't know how to "deal with it" doesn't even deserve to handle it.

Yeah when the guy I talked to suggested grabbing with pliers and then taking the dremel to it, I politely but quickly got it back from him. No thanks!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah when the guy I talked to suggested grabbing with pliers and then taking the dremel to it, I politely but quickly got it back from him. No thanks!

Oh, god...RUN AWAY!!

OP
OP
SportsmanAll

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three day update! I’m thrilled! Shined that puppy right up. What was gold is even brighter or more brilliant! And it didn’t take away the authenticity of the piece. U might now be able to tell in the before and after pics. But I sure can!!

Before
IMG_3300.jpg

After
IMG_3899.jpg

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks real clean and shiny! What was the method you used? Congratulations, nice Christmas gift!

OP
OP
SportsmanAll

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks real clean and shiny! What was the method you used? Congratulations, nice Christmas gift!

Vinegar and salt in a pill bottle for 3 days. Shake about 5 min per day, Salt acts as the agitator.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread