Hello, brand new to this thread!

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got myself a small nugget this fall, first one ever! It’s my personal best find, and I’m so used to flower gold that this one almost knocked me over! But I’m looking at getting it cleaned up a bit. I don’t necessarily want it perfectly cleaned, i’d like to retain some of its personality. But I have no idea how to go about cleaning it. Any help would be super helpful! IMG_3299.jpg IMG_3300.jpg

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet .

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gold. I don't see any reason to mess with it.
If you want to brighten the gold..use jewelry cleaner solution.
Tooth brush and hot soap and water to get any dirt off.

The dark colored host rock would have to be dissolved away using acid if you wanted just gold.

I like it! What part of the world?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SportsmanAll

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ended up putting it in a salt/vinegar bath for three days. I’ll let you guys know if it helps it out. I don’t want it perfect by any means. But I’d like to have a ring made for it. So I’d like it a little brighter and cleaner. Something like this. IMG_3888.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm thinking that buffing it on rotary cloth buffer wheel would help to highlight the gold color without losing much of it's character, that being the black spots(?).

Last edited:

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a nice ring SA. Did you make it yourself or have it custom made?

I had a nice ring made by a fellow prospector a few years ago. I had it made from gold I found; fines for the ring with a nugget set in the side and centered with the ivory whistler of an elk I bagged for the winter.

Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
SportsmanAll

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a nice ring SA. Did you make it yourself or have it custom made?

I had a nice ring made by a fellow prospector a few years ago. I had it made from gold I found; fines for the ring with a nugget set in the side and centered with the ivory whistler of an elk I bagged for the winter.

Mike

I considered throwing my elk ivory from this year in the ring too but I want the nugget to be centerpiece! And no this ring is just a reference photo from online. I want to have my nugget made into a ring like that picture.

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you're going to make it into a ring, why not ask the Jewler to suggest how to clean it up?

OP
OP
SportsmanAll

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to make it into a ring, why not ask the Jewler to suggest how to clean it up?

Went there yesterday. They had no experience working with raw gold. Their only suggestion was to take it to a dremel grinder/buffer which would have removed gold. And it’s not that big in the first place! So I’m staying away from that.

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Without knowing what is the substance with the Gold, I woul try to find a better answer from someone who's a pro at cleaning raw gold. What you have is a gem quality piece. Why leave it up to chance and degrade it's value, right? Maybe that jeweler wasn't familiar, but, some are.
Don't give up trying to find one.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike691, Steve is who made the ring for me. Nice guy and easy to work with. He cast a number of examples before we settled on the style for my wife’s ring.

Mike

OP
OP
SportsmanAll

SportsmanAll

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike691, Steve is who made the ring for me. Nice guy and easy to work with. He cast a number of examples before we settled on the style for my wife’s ring.

Mike

I’m located in Idaho. A ways from California. How would he cast and size and such?

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have an E-Mail for Steve that you can PM me?
I don't do FB and can't see any photos of his work.

Just got a message from Steve. He doesn't have a website but has some pictures on instagram. You can look up his name there. Unfortunately for us, he's considering retiring from gold smithing soon and isn't taking on more business.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread