Tips for sluice build

GodsEarth

Dec 27, 2019
Ontario, OH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey everyone I’m looking for some tips on a cheaper high bank sluice build I’m putting together. My thoughts as of right now (Keep in mind I’m keeping it very budget friendly), is going 10” wide 36”-48” long with Gold Owl matting. I’m making everything out of wood and I’ll have a little 72cc gas powered water pump and 3/4” pvc piping for water delivery. I’ll have the jet holes in pvc shooting up as well as in from the sides.

I’m looking for tips on how much water flow I should aim to have. The pump does about 2300 GPH.

roughly what angle should I have it at? I’ve heard 1” drop per foot.

Is 10” too wide?

I’m building it all out of wood to save some money.

ALL TIPS APPRECIATED! I plan on building it tonight.

Thanks,

Adam

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GodsEarth

Dec 27, 2019
Ontario, OH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
G

GodsEarth

Dec 27, 2019
Ontario, OH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok every time I take a picture of what I find it never shows my findings so I took a short video. This is of one scoop (2” diameter) of my pay dirt, so there isn’t much gold if this is gold. I wanted to ask you all if this is gold. I did a lot of tapping and this little area around the ring of the pan looks like gold and never moved. Maybe I found a little gold? I have to go through the 5 gallon bucket of pay dirt yet. This was just a very small scoop.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see stuff floating in your water. Put a drop of jet dry in your panning tub.
If you bought pay dirt, you should end up with some obvious gold.

Pan the rest of your bucket and then let us know what you find.
Save everything so you can do it again for practice.

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a dandy sluice box made from an aluminum road sign that was obtained from a scrap yard. A machine shop bent it to the correct size. The riffles are made from raised, expanded metal. Any carpet will work under the expanded metal. Nuggets usually stick in the flare and it doesn't have any trouble catching the fine gold. We made it narrow for use in small streams with little water. I also have a larger one that was manufactured but it doesn't work any better and doesn't work at all on the smaller streams.

The reason we made the mini sluice was that we didn't have much water flow and our regular sluice was too large for the job. The mini sluice wasn't finicky at all. We tested it by dropping some small particles of lead into the flair and they were captured just fine by the expanded metal.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I finally have some free time tomorrow to do some prospecting now that the rivers water level has dropped quite a bit. I went down and took some pictures because I wanted to see if I can get some advice on where to be digging since I’ve had no real luck so far.

Thanks,

Adam

You may find this video useful to aid in reading creeks................

Haven't heard from you lately, any luck on finding some color? I'm guessing the weather has slowed you down.

GG~

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search “nip & tuck goldmine” on YouTube.
Guy has lots of wooden sluices that he uses in his operation.

Not wooden riffles, but wood framed sluices. Small operation with chunky gold in BC

Been trying to pause the video to see some of the bling that guy was wearing.
Man oh man! 2:54 has a decent shot of them.

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That guy looks like he's having a lot of fun, some of his early videos have all sorts of weird wooden contraptions.

Lemarquez

Greenie
Nov 12, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi, your subject inspires me. I am French and in France, there is a site that talks about recreational gold panning and it is very comprehensive.
And precisely, he wrote an article about the angle and the position of the riffles and I think that will be able to help you. The site has an automatic translator.

OP
OP
G

GodsEarth

Dec 27, 2019
Ontario, OH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well...any luck or did you dip on us?

Sorry I’ve been wrapped up in work.. I only got to do about 6-7 buckets of dirt until it got cold enough out for me to give up until the weather warms up. I never did have any luck. Plenty of fools gold variations but no gold. Every time I thought I found gold, I would take a hammer to it and it would either shatter or flake apart.. There has to be gold, there are way too many signs to not be a spec of gold so I’m assuming I’m just not digging deep enough. The deepest I’ve gone is roughly 2-2.5ft down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions