¿ HUH ?

Greenie
Dec 28, 2019
Chico, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was at the bottom of the river (NF feather) probably about 10 ft down sniping with a hookah setup, weighted with rocks. then boom. lost air, cant breath, cant get rid of my weight fast enough, current is taking me downriver, somehow I remained calm and made it back to the surface. I stopped sniping that day after that. Anyone else had that same experience?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
¿ HUH ?

¿ HUH ?

Greenie
Dec 28, 2019
Chico, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that was my first time sniping. So next time I prolly wont go that deep until I get more comfortable with it. And my partner lost air as well since we were on the same compressor. Didnt even find anything anyway! But the fish were friendly down there.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that was my first time sniping. So next time I prolly wont go that deep until I get more comfortable with it. And my partner lost air as well since we were on the same compressor. Didnt even find anything anyway! But the fish were friendly down there.

Gas or Bat ?

OP
OP
¿ HUH ?

¿ HUH ?

Greenie
Dec 28, 2019
Chico, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
generator to an electric oil-less compressor. The air hose where it connects to the regulator backed out and ended up flopping all over the bottom of the river, releasing all the air in the tank unregulated.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a gas comp guy... Brownie.

OP
OP
¿ HUH ?

¿ HUH ?

Greenie
Dec 28, 2019
Chico, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. Mine the rivers during the hot summer, go underground during the rainy winter :) (Lower elevation mines...too much snow high up)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99% of All my diving has been salt.

I would love to dive rivers in Alaska for gold... err or anywhere else where river has gold for that matter.

OP
OP
¿ HUH ?

¿ HUH ?

Greenie
Dec 28, 2019
Chico, Ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
actually I was in alaska a couple years ago to visit my friends 1000 acre claim at the headwaters of Cache creek. He had the whole setup. heavy equipment...excavators, dozers, shaker plant the whole giddup. Unfortunately he sold that mine after the horrible wildfire that destroyed everything near where I live.
Luckily I live in a place where if I get bored, I can go find gold. And I do, just nothing big or anything. But every pan has a few flakes.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time? Welcome to the club!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for posting this incident. A lot of people think there completely safe with a Hookah

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've lost air numerous times, but I run air off my dredge so I can hear when the motor dies (if thats the cause). I also have a reserve tank so I get a few more breaths and you notice the immediate drop in pressure when your compressor suddenly fails, or your drive belt breaks, or your pulley grenades. I've had it all happen. 10 foot is the deepest I've been on hookah, and likely the deepest I would go without a pony bottle setup.

djqix

Feb 9, 2019
Phillipsburg, Warren County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Better yet, go get scuba certified. 10ft, you'll get a long time on a 80cf tank once you get used to it. Oh yea, noticed you said you can hold your breath a long time.... don't, ever on any kind of scuba. You're breathing compressed air, at depth. As you come shallower, that air expands in your lungs. If that air has no place to go, it will make it's own place to go - ie, the chest cavity by popping a lung. You really don't want that to happen. You can do that in as little as a 4ft depth change. Also, ditch the rocks and pickup a cheap dive weight belt. Put it on with a right hand release. Much faster, and easier to drop that should your air source fail than try to dump all the rocks. Sorry if this comes across as lecturing you, but I've seen far too many people die underwater since being certified as a divemaster back in 2001. Every death I've seen has been preventable. Every single one of them. Ranging from really stupid things like not checking your pressure and running out of air, to sneaking into a night dive without a buddy, to an instructor ending up dead, in a shallow pool on a rebreather because he had no training, or clue how to use it.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
ill stick to a mask and snorkle.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Getting certified is the best move. Second best would be to practice handling every emergency you can imagine. Over and over. Make each possible event well practiced so you just “handle it” if it happens in real life.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better yet, go get scuba certified. 10ft, you'll get a long time on a 80cf tank once you get used to it. Oh yea, noticed you said you can hold your breath a long time.... don't, ever on any kind of scuba. You're breathing compressed air, at depth. As you come shallower, that air expands in your lungs. If that air has no place to go, it will make it's own place to go - ie, the chest cavity by popping a lung. You really don't want that to happen. You can do that in as little as a 4ft depth change. Also, ditch the rocks and pickup a cheap dive weight belt. Put it on with a right hand release. Much faster, and easier to drop that should your air source fail than try to dump all the rocks. Sorry if this comes across as lecturing you, but I've seen far too many people die underwater since being certified as a divemaster back in 2001. Every death I've seen has been preventable. Every single one of them. Ranging from really stupid things like not checking your pressure and running out of air, to sneaking into a night dive without a buddy, to an instructor ending up dead, in a shallow pool on a rebreather because he had no training, or clue how to use it.

You are correct, but you can still hold your breath on compressed air if need be. I had a lockup on my scuba reg, and then it broke into a freeflow. Blew me up like a balloon before I could get it out of my mouth. On ascent, I would exhale and hold which only allows the dead air to expand. I did that because it hurt to have full lungs. Chunk of filter blocked the balancing piston port. I've also rode the drysuit rocket from 100', and found it's almost impossible to hold your breath. The air would expand so fast you couldn't get a new breath out of the reg. Luckily, I got stopped at 10' as I was at full NDL when I left the bottom. A cool head even in panic is what every diver needs most. Know ALL the implications of Boyle's Law before using compressed air.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time...weighed down with rocks...ten feet??

Dude. Slow down.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was dredging on the Klamath River in NoCal some years ago. It was late summer so the water was like pea soup and visibility was about 6 inches at 35 feet. I was basically dredging upside down in a hole with my face on the bottom and I was spotting nuggets when the airline blew off the harness on my back. I was disoriented from being in a headstand and I could not see my bubbles rise or the sun. I climbed the dredge hose back up...close call

You have to stay calm and have an escape plan in mind BEFORE you go under. I actually practice bailing out of my weights and mask at depth...you learn a lot by doing this.

Never dive alone
Always use a reserve tank
Never tie weights to yourself...one quick release must drop them all
Always put your air harness on under your weight belt.
Use only quality pressed fittings and reinforced PVC airlines, Never rubber hose and no hose clamps.
Consider carrying a small rescue bottle
Check your gear every day

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Make sure your weight belt is set up for easy removal. I've ran out a bunch of times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread