MOTHER LODE III: ROADSIDE GEOLOGY AND MINING HISTORY: GRASS VALLEY TO WALKER BASIN

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It made me give you access to my google account, then said that the item I was looking for was not available.. I had to change my password..

Even if you didn't mean to that aint right..

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
It made me give you access to my google account, then said that the item I was looking for was not available.. I had to change my password..

Even if you didn't mean to that aint right..

no idea what you are talking about
can someone translate ?

edit: I suppose I have a cookie hence the response on my computer
who is "it" ?
you did not give me squat
change every hour

Last edited:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The link you posted brings you to a login, you can log in with facebook or google. When I log in with google it wants me to give you permission over my google account. I didn't know what I was clicking until suddenly my phone is telling me I gave my google account access to another person and if not to change my password which I did..

You may not have intended it but that's the reality, just waning others.

I click links a lot, this link gave you my google access to my account in the end.. Even if you didn't realize it that's what happened to me and that is very scary..

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
"When I log in with google it wants me to give you permission over my google account."

simply not true, you are uninformed - granted someone, just not me

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"When I log in with google it wants me to give you permission over my google account."

simply not true, you are uninformed - granted someone, just not me
....No, I do not make stuff up for fun. What I claimed happened, happened. You can say what you want, YOU are miss informed about the link you posted. I clicked it, logged into the site and suddenly I was changing my google password..

I'd advise a moderateor to click the link and verify this for themselves, seems like a tremendous vulnerability issue.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This shouldn't be a surprise to either one of you.

Their terms and conditions and privacy notice for accessing their website are clear that they "own you" if you sign in from another account.
If you create an Account or log in into your Account using your login credentials from one of your Social Network Site (“SNS”) accounts, such as a Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Gmail or another e-mail account, or link to your Account one of your SNS accounts, we’ll be able to access and collect your name and email address and other PII (Personally Identifying Information) and Non-Identifying Information that your privacy settings on the SNS Account permit us to access.

If you connect with one or more SNS accounts, you give us permission to access and use your profile and contacts information (“Contacts”). Contacts are securely and privately stored within our databases, and associated to your account. Your Contacts are used to personalize the Service, such as suggesting likely co-authors, recommending users for you to follow, and predicting the relevance of news feed stories and notifications...

We may receive information about you from other sources, including through third-party services and organizations, to supplement information provided by you. As used in this policy, the term "Third Party" is any company, natural or legal person, public authority, agency, or body other than you and Academia.edu. For example, if you access our Services through a Third-Party application, such as an App Store or SNS, we may collect information about you from that Third-Party application that you have made public via your privacy settings. Information we collect through App Stores or SNS accounts may include your name, your SNS user identification number, your SNS user name, location, sex, birth date, email, profile picture, and your contacts on the SNS. This supplemental information allows us to verify information that you have provided to Academia.edu and to enhance our ability to provide you with information about our business, products, and Services.

There's a lot more there. Read the privacy notice they offered you if you want to know how deep you can go for free info.

It's not really a scam if they warn you ahead of time is it? If you click the link you have agreed to their offer. Nothing was hidden.

It's a great series of books Bill. Thanks for sharing the links. :thumbsup:

I'm not a member of either Facebook or Google so I will have to pass no matter what their price.

Heavy Pans

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This shouldn't be a surprise to either one of you.

Their terms and conditions and privacy notice for accessing their website are clear that they "own you" if you sign in from another account.

There's a lot more there. Read the privacy notice they offered you if you want to know how deep you can go for free info.

It's not really a scam if they warn you ahead of time is it? If you click the link you have agreed to their offer. Nothing was hidden.

It's a great series of books Bill. Thanks for sharing the links. :thumbsup:

I'm not a member of either Facebook or Google so I will have to pass no matter what their price.

Heavy Pans

Clay, that's not what I am referring to. Just about everything "free" or close to it online or app based these days will want similar info, a price to pay for some of the software if you want to use it..

What I am referring to is Google, my actually Google account as in I logged in with google as I do every other time I want to access something, only this time the way the link was setup it wanted permission to my account and I thought it was referring to what you are speaking of only it ended up giving the poster access to my google account, password and all. I started getting alerts on my phone soon as I clicked yes that my account was compromised and I needed to change my password if I did not authorize.

The poster might not know what or why and it my just be a setting with google drive but either way it was not a link that should be shared as so if its going to be compromising someones google account for clicking on it.

I use google drive now and then quit a bit, given that I would not think to read the terms of service every time I logged in, its google they are very secure usually compared to most sites. I guess it was my fault for trusting a seemingly legitimate user on a site I frequent.. lol

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
thanks Clay, I am (obviously) a member of academia.com so I "see" sign-ins differently, had hoped to bypass the sign-in

"I guess it was my fault for trusting a seemingly legitimate user on a site I frequent.. lol"
you should study English, nothing legitimate about me for you

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Clay, I am (obviously) a member of academia.com so I "see" sign-ins differently, had hoped to bypass the sign-in

"I guess it was my fault for trusting a seemingly legitimate user on a site I frequent.. lol"
you should study English, nothing legitimate about me for you

:icon_scratch: I'd suggest you do the same, my English is fine and could be better I will admit but there is nothing wrong with what I said..

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I'd be interested in reading the article, there is no "New user" path. And no given login info on my screen. Guess it's not that important. My claim is within this particular zone, and I'm always interested in further information.

I was going to put up a poster of this area, but I saved it in .pdf so it won't let me share.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread