2" or 2 1/2" dredge - is there much of a difference?

goldndogs

Oct 20, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm planning on buying my first dredge, and I'm not sure whether I should buy a 2" or 2.5" dredge (at this time I don't want anything larger). I'm not too concerned with the weight difference between the two. I'd prefer to buy a 2 1/2" dredge, but if I bought a new dredge the 2 1/2" is about $500 more expensive than the 2". And if I look for used dredges, it all depends on what sizes are available out there. My question - is there really a large difference in the amount of material you can process between the two sizes, seeing that they're so close in size?

Upvote 0

Darth Placer

Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I have had and used them all. I would definitely get a 2.5 vs the 2. There is a big difference. That said...…..There is a HUGE difference if you could go up to a 3....(if you have the water to run it). I would never buy a 2 or even a 2.5.....I would go with a 3. If you want to have easy pack in with a 3 you can build a PVC frame ( I used wood or aluminum dowel inside some spots) and a couple of inner tubes for floats...(blow them up with a small hand pump or?. A 3 will move a lot more material than a 2 or 2.5. All us dredgers know that each size difference is a dramatic change in process capability.

Bejay

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have had and used them all. I would definitely get a 2.5 vs the 2. There is a big difference. That said...…..There is a HUGE difference if you could go up to a 3....(if you have the water to run it). I would never buy a 2 or even a 2.5.....I would go with a 3. If you want to have easy pack in with a 3 you can build a PVC frame ( I used wood or aluminum dowel inside some spots) and a couple of inner tubes for floats...(blow them up with a small hand pump or?. A 3 will move a lot more material than a 2 or 2.5. All us dredgers know that each size difference is a dramatic change in process capability.

Bejay

While bigger may be better, if the water won't support it, or the creek just plain ain't big enough to float anything, then it just is what it is. This normally is my case. While flows have increased the past few years, it's just not a big enough creek for anything larger. It's tough for two people to work side by side in most areas. So, I guess the conditions you are working in really does determine the size of equipment you choose.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We use to start out each year by digging/ shoveling a 4' long hole 3" to 6" deep with one spot deep enough to keep the footvalve underwater. Then we would put the dredge nozzle next to the footvalve, start up, run for 30 seconds to a minute, then shut down before we ran the footvalve dry. A couple minutes later, the hole would be filled up again and we would start up and run maybe 90 seconds, till the water ran out and we would shut down again. After we had it a foot deep and maybe 6' around, we would tarp the bottom and backside of the hole, and continue until we had enough room to recirculate. You can run on next to no water with any size dredge and some shoveling. I don't recommend buying less then a 4" because it works fine with a little prep on the hole.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are set on getting nothing bigger than a 2.5 then getting a dredge is kinda pointless.
Get a power sluice (high banker with a dredge attachment) and just set it up on legs instead of trying to float it.
You wont have air so you are limited to less than 3' of water. The hassle and weight of floats dont make sense at this level

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are set on getting nothing bigger than a 2.5 then getting a dredge is kinda pointless.
Get a power sluice (high banker with a dredge attachment) and just set it up on legs instead of trying to float it.
You wont have air so you are limited to less than 3' of water. The hassle and weight of floats dont make sense at this level

...And, in my opinion, there’s nothing wrong with this. My sluice is on legs and receives material from my 3” nozzle. I can’t go deep, and that bums me out sometimes and in some places, but where I go in NH and VA I still get decent gold. I’m doing this for the experience (with my son, and more recently with my dad: )

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
While bigger may be better, if the water won't support it, or the creek just plain ain't big enough to float anything, then it just is what it is. This normally is my case. While flows have increased the past few years, it's just not a big enough creek for anything larger. It's tough for two people to work side by side in most areas. So, I guess the conditions you are working in really does determine the size of equipment you choose.

I stated (if you have water to run it). That said...…..I have run a 3 where the water was more than slim. (Az). But I had to set the pump down stream of the sluice and run flat hose up to the power jet. I set the unit down in the creek on legs.....allowing the power jet to lie flat in the water...with a short piece of hose connecting it to the sluice. Sometimes where there is a will there is a way. For a "trickle creek" I use my 2 inch shrimp gun (suction gun) and have gotten a lot of gold with it. Anyone who has seen my gun method wants to do it and wants to learn how. All that said though...…….a 2.5 is much better than a 2....and all dredgers know that size makes a difference. Have fun getting the gold:

Bejay

Darth Placer

Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL Brian your pops prospects the same way mine does. We have to do a trip together this spring.

Goldndogs if you have the means to get a floating dredge it does help... It does give you more options on the water where you can setup (floating vs not). You can place a floating dredge in the shallows and on a bank but cannot place a combo without floats in the deeper water. I have done without floats for many years on my 2.5" and my 4" so I am speaking from experience. Venturing to new waters these days has been a bit of a challenge not having floats on the 4". Over that span there has been many times where I could simply not get setup were I would have really liked to prospect and had to settle for a lesser spot. I will be floating this season though.

Added benefit of being on floats is if the spot you start in doesn't work out well you can float to another really easy.. vs having to re-set everything up just a little further away. In the heat of summer that can really burn you out quick.

More time running and not messing around usually equals a better gold tally at the end of the day.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL Brian your pops prospects the same way mine does. We have to do a trip together this spring.

Darth I’m glad your dad still gets out there. Mine told me he’d be open to joining us again. Maybe in the Spring we can do VA; I haven’t been to any of the CVGP claims yet and would like to try. Let’s start kicking around some dates via PM.

Darth Placer

Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds good .. yeah bring your pops. Made mine a 1.5" banker dredge last season.. he's much happier now just sitting in the water and letting the hose do the work.... LOL

I'm open for anywhere.. sure we can get Jeff and the others in on it too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread