"Reclaimed" New series on Discovery Channel

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's a silly and misleading concept.

These are not "dormant mining claims". They ceased being mining claims when they were patented. Those patents cost $2.50 an acre for placers and $5.00 an acre for lodes. "Pennies on the dollar" would have meant the current owners would have paid less than $5 an acre. That didn't happen.

The current owners are not "homesteaders". Homesteading was a different type of land patent. The fact there was a mineral patent granted excludes the possibility of a homestead patent ever being granted on the same land. Two very different things that can't coexist.

With just a little bit of research and knowledge the Discovery channel could have presented some interesting and educational historical information about how this country was settled as part of this show's presentation. Instead we get a the usual made up "history" they think will sell best. Made up history replacing facts - pretty sad.

Just more "mining" TV based on nothing but drama and misinformation. Nothing wrong with relaxing with your favorite beverage and watching Wheel of Fortune, Reclaimed or CNN. It's all fantasy meant to entertain the viewer. If you enjoy that stuff relax and enjoy the show. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta take a look and see thanks for the heads up

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Barry, does a "homesteader" even have the mineral rights?

That's a good question Mike, one I encounter almost daily in my work.

It all depends on which Homestead grant their patent was issued under. There were a bunch of different Homestead grants through the years. Many of the eastern states Homestead patents did include the minerals. A lot of the later western Homestead patents excluded minerals, oil and gas. The only way to know for sure is to read the patent. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a good question Mike, one I encounter almost daily in my work.

It all depends on which Homestead grant their patent was issued under. There were a bunch of different Homestead grants through the years. Many of the eastern states Homestead patents did include the minerals. A lot of the later western Homestead patents excluded minerals, oil and gas. The only way to know for sure is to read the patent. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

The homestead grant my home’s land title is based on only excludes lode mineral, not placer. It can be that specific!

PS the show is, in the words of the Executive Producer “just another ‘build show’ but celebrates our mining heritage. I think that’s cool because I like build shows anyway. Also because I will be very briefly in one episode of this first season. I have friends in several other episodes so it will be fun to see them on tv too!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The homestead grant my home’s land title is based on only excludes lode mineral, not placer. It can be that specific!

That's interesting Kevin. I've studied thousands of patents and never seen a lode specific reservation. If you could share your patent number by PM I'd love to download a copy from the GLO for my collection. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
A

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I watched " "reclaimed" that I recorded from yesterday and while it had beautiful scenery ( but I enjoyed it none the less BUT it had WAY to much patting on their backs for me !

oldbones

Feb 20, 2017
North California
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon, GGT Nugget, Gold n Sand Hand Dredge, Pans and classifiers.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Forgot this was on, thanks for the reminder. I'll probably watch with the volume off.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
what episode number??

PS the show is, in the words of the Executive Producer “just another ‘build show’ but celebrates our mining heritage. I think that’s cool because I like build shows anyway. Also because I will be very briefly in one episode of this first season. I have friends in several other episodes so it will be fun to see them on tv too!

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was a little disappointed with the first episode. I expected to see more of the mine than just clearing the dirt from the opening. The ore they showed was cool, if it was real. I also didn't understand wasting the time and money building a sauna, when maybe they could have enclosed the outdoor kitchen. I will watch a few more episodes though in hopes of seeing some familiar faces!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was a little disappointed with the first episode. I expected to see more of the mine than just clearing the dirt from the opening. The ore they showed was cool, if it was real. I also didn't understand wasting the time and money building a sauna, when maybe they could have enclosed the outdoor kitchen. I will watch a few more episodes though in hopes of seeing some familiar faces!

Same here. I’m hoping future episodes cover more of the mining!

I’m not sure which episode includes me, I think like 5 or 6. The next 1 or two cover my friend David Emslie’s Mine. I think you all will like that - no sauna nonsense, just a real hard rock mine!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
executive producers

root cause of 98% of current first world drama...aka fake news

we need much less "artistic license" and way more reality

Last edited:

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok, second episode was much better! I don't live in Colorado, but I've followed enough of David Emslie here or on facebook, and his work on opening up that mine and recognized the site. That was pretty cool!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions