Is there gold on the OTHER side of the mountain? - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Is there gold on the OTHER side of the mountain?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11465 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by gold chick View Post
    Landmatters can be tricky to work with, even on a computer. I wish they had a landmatters layer available on Google Maps, that would be killer.
    Land Matters doesn't work anything like Google maps. If you try to use it like Google maps you will be wasting a lot of time. There is a button on the map with instructions on how to use the map and get quick results easily. Or you could just watch one of the uTube videos on how to get best results.

Simple:

Advanced:

Heavy Pans

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12817 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    Some states and counties are more expensive than others. Often that's based on budgets. Some of the less populated counties really can't afford to provide internet access
    In Arizona virtually all county public records are available online for free.
    Many counties have gone to a third party pay system like Madison County Montana. Most of those private for profit pay companies are actually different names for the same company.
    In some counties in California people sell their children into slavery so they can afford a copy of a publicly recorded document. (That's internet fact)

$50 a month is an unreasonably high cost in my experience. Most counties that charge are closer to $25 per year.

Heavy Pans
    Where is this slave market located.. I'm at the recorder often... maybe this will help!!

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12817 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by gold chick View Post
    Ya know I was wondering about that, as the boxes sometimes only have one claim in them and are 20 acres (I think) big, whereas other boxes have several claims in them and are the same size.
    Each of those squares is a Section of land. Typically 640 acres. Depending on Claim type and description there can/will be up several dozen claims in a section.

Have you looked into any prospecting groups in Montana?

https://centralmontanaprospectors.org/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/153584407994262
    https://www.goldrushnuggets.com/goprclstdi.html Beartooth Treasure Hunters & Prospectors

Knowing if your on a claim or if an area is claimed is very important. However worrying about it can and should be off of your list for your initial prospecting experiences.
    There is a learning curve in all aspects of the activity. Seek out experience and you will do much better faster than gaining it just heading out and trying on your own.
    Hobbs. and gold chick like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11465 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    Where is this slave market located.. I'm at the recorder often... maybe this will help!!
    Are you looking to rent a few or are you thinking of putting a few of your's on the block?

Either way just look on the internet. The internet is your friend.

Heavy
    Hobbs. likes this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    12817 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by russau View Post
    Barry , as you know My Land matter's is far superior to ANYTHING that is available . I (in my younger years) collected over 400 topo maps from around the U.S.A. by one means or another . After wearing out my ole body I started to want to share what I had learned and my equipment with club member's . I had no use for all these topo maps anymore because I couldn't get out much. SOOO I contacted clubs from all over and wanted to donate the topo's for their state to them BUT they turned my offer down saying they get this info on their smart phone's .........I even offered to donate my maps & books to our library and they turned me down also... Now me not needing them I put them into the trash . Your site is the best thing that any prospector / miner could ask for along with your expert advice ! A SALUTE to you !

ill take those maps off your hands
    Hobbs. likes this.

us
    Dec 2019
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Garrett AT Pro
    176 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    Some states and counties are more expensive than others. Often that's based on budgets. Some of the less populated counties really can't afford to provide internet access
    In Arizona virtually all county public records are available online for free.
    Many counties have gone to a third party pay system like Madison County Montana. Most of those private for profit pay companies are actually different names for the same company.
    In some counties in California people sell their children into slavery so they can afford a copy of a publicly recorded document. (That's internet fact)

$50 a month is an unreasonably high cost in my experience. Most counties that charge are closer to $25 per year.

Heavy Pans
    Yeah, I agree with you, 50 bucks a month is high! That is for unlimited access, so I suppose I could get all my research ready and hit the recorder hard for a month. I am going to try the 5 bucks for an hour and see how much work I can get done within that hour.

Montana has more cows than people and doesn't charge sales tax so we end up paying in different ways (vehicle registration, property taxes, etc.) so I don't particularly mind paying for the service if I have to.

Poor kids, I bet they were the bad ones lol
    Clay Diggins and Goldwasher like this.
    Survivalist, Prepper, Nomad, Aspiring Treasure Hunter

www.maximumoffgrid.com

us
    Dec 2019
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Garrett AT Pro
    176 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambrinus View Post
    When you are researching the area I would be on the lookout for maps or descriptions of the trend of the veins. When looking at this map I would go either to the northwest or the southeast from the known mine. I am not saying this is the only place I would look but this is better than just throwing a dart at a map.

Attachment 1790925
    Yes, I think this method would be more effective than banking on gold on the other side of the mountain. Good suggestion.

www.maximumoffgrid.com

us
    Dec 2019
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Garrett AT Pro
    176 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    Each of those squares is a Section of land. Typically 640 acres. Depending on Claim type and description there can/will be up several dozen claims in a section.

Have you looked into any prospecting groups in Montana?

https://centralmontanaprospectors.org/ https://www.facebook.com/groups/153584407994262
    https://www.goldrushnuggets.com/goprclstdi.html Beartooth Treasure Hunters & Prospectors

Knowing if your on a claim or if an area is claimed is very important. However worrying about it can and should be off of your list for your initial prospecting experiences.
    There is a learning curve in all aspects of the activity. Seek out experience and you will do much better faster than gaining it just heading out and trying on your own.
    OK that is good to know. Looks like I need to get better at using the tools I have, it is a huge learning curve just learning where to prospect, then checking for claims, then using the equipment properly, let alone having the time to do it all.

I've been into prospecting and rockhounding for a long time, but I haven't had that much time and resources to pursue it - until now. I am trying to do all the preemptive work I can before going into expedition mode.

I will look into some local groups, being that MT is so sparsely populated and vast, it can be hard to connect with other prospectors, but its worth a shot.
    delnorter and Goldwasher like this.

www.maximumoffgrid.com

us
    Dec 2019
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Garrett AT Pro
    176 times
    Metal Detecting
    Alright, so I paid the five bucks to get access to claim locales just to see, this is what I got in return:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lindsay Gold.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	1791568

No fancy map or coordinates, just a paragraph of the markers (could be a post or tree stump) in some sort of quadrangle, with a shape (rectangle, parallelogram, square) and roughly how big it is. Ugh.

I guess I am starting to feel frustrated. I suppose I need to stumble around the forest and find old tree stumps and posts with a half ripped off sheet of paper telling me its claimed. I can figure out the quadrangle (I think that's what its called) on the cadastral (which I use to locate the public land) but the rest, I dunno.

I did find some closed claims, however.

If I can locate the discovery point of the claim, I can use measuring tools to figure out the boundary.

UPDATE: Ok I found a Section Township Range coordinate converter and I located the point of discovery. So now I can use that to draw out the footage in the shape that they describe. I guess I can make it work!

After all this work, I will be placing my own dang claim if I find a good spot. Sheesh!

Another question: Is the point of discovery always the southwest corner? If so, I can get the Section Township Range from the BLM report
    Last edited by gold chick; Jan 18, 2020 at 04:29 PM.

www.maximumoffgrid.com

Charter Member
    us
    Look at the Historical Gold Mining photo albums on my page

Jan 2013
    Huntington, Or./ Stanton, AZ/ former Outlaw California Gold Dredger
    Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
    4428 times
    You need to look back farther at the recorder. That is simply the quit claim deed from when he bought the claim. You need to go back to the notice of location of mining claim to see the maps drawn by the person who filed the claim in the first place.
    But all of the coordinates are there, so you can easily draw your own map of the claim. But it is a current valid claim that belongs to someone else. Time to put your boots on
    Download the map pdf, print out the section on standard paper so you have the topo, then add in the posts yourself.
    Here's the pdf page
    https://madisoncountymt.gov/243/Quad...pographic-Maps
    Last edited by Reed Lukens; Jan 18, 2020 at 05:27 PM.
    Clay Diggins and gold chick like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11465 times
    Prospecting
    Quadrangle maps aren't a good choice Reed. Their 1:62000 scale has really low resolution and detail.

A better choice would be the 1:24000 topo map. Free, much more current, much higher resolution and the most recent ones have aerial views as well as topographic.

Heavy Pans
    Reed Lukens and gold chick like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11465 times
    Prospecting
    Free current and historic topo maps made easy.

Heavy Pans

Mar 2016
    5103 times
    Wasn't there a tool offered somewhere where you could type in a legal PLSS description and it would generate coordinates and plot the area on a map?
    gold chick likes this.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    11465 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Wasn't there a tool offered somewhere where you could type in a legal PLSS description and it would generate coordinates and plot the area on a map?
    You can do that on any U.S. Land Matters map with the advanced search tool (Binoculars tool). I use it all the time to zoom to a particular spot on the map.

Heavy Pans

us
    Jan 2016
    South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
    F2
    2506 times
    Prospecting
    Steven Cyrus with Department of Land Transfer is a scammer.
    He stakes claims and sells them where there is no gold.
    He has claims around here where I live and all over youtube.
    Theres another dude that does this too but I cant recall his name. I've seen his claims around and theres no gold, I've already prospected these areas before.
    They like to claim on the outskirts of placer areas and sell them.

Not every claim is legit and not every claim has good gold. Some people will stake a claim for just a speck or two.
    Last edited by Johnnybravo300; Jan 19, 2020 at 10:06 AM.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links