Is there gold on the OTHER side of the mountain?

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a question. I have found a location with multiple lodes on ONE side of the mountain, along with a huge placer discovery at the bottom of the mountain. This side of the mountain is all claimed up.

The other accessible side of the mountain has only two gold claims, lots of land left unclaimed on public property.

What do you think are the odds of finding gold on this other side of the mountain? Is it worth prospecting with a metal detector? Or not?

The X on my map is the general lode locations and the ? is for the area I am considering prospecting.

TIA!

baldy-mountain.JPG

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't there a tool offered somewhere where you could type in a legal PLSS description and it would generate coordinates and plot the area on a map?

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Steven Cyrus with Department of Land Transfer is a scammer.
He stakes claims and sells them where there is no gold.
He has claims around here where I live and all over youtube.
Theres another dude that does this too but I cant recall his name. I've seen his claims around and theres no gold, I've already prospected these areas before.
They like to claim on the outskirts of placer areas and sell them.

Not every claim is legit and not every claim has good gold. Some people will stake a claim for just a speck or two.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, I am learning SO MUCH about mapping and nerding out HARD lol lol

Thanks for all the tips it's a lot of work but I am starting to get the hang of a good system to follow.

I am glad I started my mapping 6 months before summer!

:occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need to look back farther at the recorder. That is simply the quit claim deed from when he bought the claim. You need to go back to the notice of location of mining claim to see the maps drawn by the person who filed the claim in the first place.
But all of the coordinates are there, so you can easily draw your own map of the claim. But it is a current valid claim that belongs to someone else. Time to put your boots on 8-)
Download the map pdf, print out the section on standard paper so you have the topo, then add in the posts yourself.
Here's the pdf page
https://madisoncountymt.gov/243/Quadrangle-Topographic-Maps

Unfortunately the notice of location of mining is not available online, even though I paid 5 bucks, it just has the quitclaim. But that is useful enough, now that I am figuring this whole system out. It is a lot of work but hopefully worth it in the end.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Unfortunately the notice of location of mining is not available online, even though I paid 5 bucks, it just has the quitclaim. But that is useful enough, now that I am figuring this whole system out. It is a lot of work but hopefully worth it in the end.

No public record is not unusual with claims scams. The sellers of the quitclaim you posted are well known for selling claims with no prospects for valuable minerals and for poor location work. That's is not unusual in the world of placer claims.

If the locator did not make public notice within 90 days of location the claim doesn't exist (even if someone is foolish enough to buy the quitclaim). Without a location notice recorded at the county you can pretty much ignore any "claim" the BLM has in their database. That's why you should never rely strictly on the BLM or the County records. It takes both as well as a physical location to make a legal claim.

Heavy Pans

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well just the name of the company appears to be intentionally misleading.
Either to give the impression that they are a government agency or perhaps to make the company appear much larger than it really is.

Selling a mining claim is a transfer of land?

OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No public record is not unusual with claims scams. The sellers of the quitclaim you posted are well known for selling claims with no prospects for valuable minerals and for poor location work. That's is not unusual in the world of placer claims.

If the locator did not make public notice within 90 days of location the claim doesn't exist (even if someone is foolish enough to buy the quitclaim). Without a location notice recorded at the county you can pretty much ignore any "claim" the BLM has in their database. That's why you should never rely strictly on the BLM or the County records. It takes both as well as a physical location to make a legal claim.

Heavy Pans

Really..... I have come across quite a few "Department of Land Transfer, Inc." quitclaims but there is no notice of location. So they make a quitclaim, but never file the location notice? But they pay the fee for the quitclaim so it shows as active? Strange. The funny thing is there are a whole lot of non-locals with quitclaims but no location notice that are tied to this company. I only got the one hour to look at the paperwork so I didn't pay too close of attention.

So basically, there must be a quitclaim, location notice, and physical markers to count as a claim?

OP
OP
gold chick

gold chick

Dec 28, 2019
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Heavy Pans

Also, is there a way to plug in coordinates directly into landmatters? I cannot figure it out ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread