How rich is California's remaining placer gold deposits compared to other states?

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always wondered this especially after watching all the shows in the Yukon on gold mining. If industrial-scale placer mining was allowed in California with those massive washplants and excavators, would they be getting more gold here? Or is the geology different in California? All those placer mining operations up north are digging up ancient creeks and rivers buried dozens of feet underground a lot of overburden.

Upvote 2

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In the late 1960's California wanted to answer that same question. The result was the Gold Resources in the Tertiary Gravels of California report. Click the link and download and read that report to answer your question in more detail.

Their best estimate is that less than 40% of the gold in the California tertiary gravels has been mined. :thumbsup:

That leaves us with more than 60% of the gold. :laughing7:

Only Nevada has bigger inferred gold reserves.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always wondered this especially after watching all the shows in the Yukon on gold mining. If industrial-scale placer mining was allowed in California with those massive washplants and excavators, would they be getting more gold here? Or is the geology different in California? All those placer mining operations up north are digging up ancient creeks and rivers buried dozens of feet underground a lot of overburden.

Much like when discovered. Californias gold deposits are unique , rich and rare. they will remain as such for a long time to come!!

OP
OP
F

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap, that report is insane if it's accurate! I wonder if the California state government will ever change its mind about mining when gold prices skyrocket in the future, there must be trillions of dollars worth of gold here!

In the late 1960's California wanted to answer that same question. The result was the Gold Resources in the Tertiary Gravels of California report. Click the link and download and read that report to answer your question in more detail.

Their best estimate is that less than 40% of the gold in the California tertiary gravels has been mined. :thumbsup:

That leaves us with more than 60% of the gold. :laughing7:

Only Nevada has bigger inferred gold reserves.

Heavy Pans

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
One would be very hard pressed to find an open claim on a tertiary river in northern California.Just about all are claimed or on private property.In the county where I live(Calaveras)there are miles of remaining tertiary rivers and everything is either claimed or on private ground.Most of the old channels are buried,some over 400 feet deep.On should consider that alot of these buried channels still make water,which means enviromental stuff.In a few spots the overflow surface gravels carry pretty good values if one was able to work them....Not all old channels carry good gold values..some have no yellow.After reading many mining reports it may be safe to say that most of the previously worked tertiary rivers only worked the better pay streaks in the channels and sometimes ignored the channel rims.Also very few quartz veins were worked in these channels when found in the bedrock,unless they were rich.Many of these channels are tied up in litigation.Getting permits is a very bi area of concern as that might take many years,or not at all.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the bigger Alaska operations usually run dirt that is 10-20 bucks a yard. I've found spots that are easily 100-200 a yard in Ca

Seen better in large enough yardage in various places in California. The ancient channels are barely explored.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Within the last 3 years, I've seen maybe as many as 4 large placer washing operations start up in Park and Lake County, Colorado. One was the Gold Rush show group, but I think they pulled the plug on it. You gotta suspect California has plenty of placer gold left. Still, that state has been fighting over large destructive placer mines going back more than a hundred years.

Tanneyhill

Mar 5, 2023
California is still rich in Placer Gold, but we've all gone quiet because of all of their anti-dredging greenies...
The vast majority of the gold is in the area of the range just north of Chico to Mariposa. That's a massive area with hundreds of old mines from the 49ers onwards. I wonder if there are unexplored regions of the Sierra Nevadas, places that are far from any roads and a ~2 day hike in bear 🐻 country.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230403-100140_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230403-100140_Drive.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 19

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The vast majority of the gold is in the area of the range just north of Chico to Mariposa. That's a massive area with hundreds of old mines from the 49ers onwards. I wonder if there are unexplored regions of the Sierra Nevadas, places that are far from any roads and a ~2 day hike in bear 🐻 country.

I tossed some of the Old Channel maps up in my Journal -

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread