Need Advice

AFterBurn

Greenie
Jan 17, 2020
N.C.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all, new member from N.C. and I very recently discovered gold on my property, and have begun the process of panning and filtering manually. However the gold ranges (so far) from flakes to fines to dust. I sometimes cannot tell what is sand and what’s gold until it dries. I’ve got vids and pics that may help visualize and communicate more effectively. Also: The gold is about a foot deep, mostly stuck amongst a foot-thick sandy layer of gravel that is located between two layers of dense red clay. Have only dug to the second clay layer so far but I’m curious if there’s any possibility of finding larger nuggets etc in this sort of landscape, or if I should get a detector? Opinions/Advice? This area perhaps was an dried riverbed from long ago, clearly as it’s a lawn now. Any help from anyone with such experience in this area would be a good place to start. Looking forward to learning and growing here! Thanks in advance for any private messages or replies!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AFterBurn

AFterBurn

Greenie
Jan 17, 2020
N.C.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
E9F94583-9B1E-46F0-A6A8-8ECE18B01768.jpeg
3F3EF47C-D67F-4DC8-AC5E-4824494C1312.jpeg
DFD20E84-513C-4FFD-9534-2D0EAEB53632.jpeg
135AC294-4F90-4774-9402-6E3D131148F0.jpeg

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry, looks like all you have is Mica. Easy for a beginner to see it and think it’s gold. I know I did. It’s ok though because NC has gold so it’s still possible you might find some, you just need to do some more researching and more digging. It’s not that easy to find in that kind of quantity though. Notice how the mica shimmers in the light? Gold isn’t actually like that. When you see gold it doesn’t look like it reflects light, it will look just like a golden light is shining right at you now matter how you look at it, you will know when you see it, but until then, good luck.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try panning it again. Add a couple tiny bb's in the pan. The mica will float out and gold will stay with the bb's. Mica also will crush if you apply pressure with a straight pin to it. A pinpointer will sound off on gold in a plastic pan, whereas mica will not.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry pal thats not gold

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The yards allready gone lol That would get the blood flowing hope theres some gold in there for you!!!!

Treasureman25

May 30, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro, coinmaster gt, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha dang I’d be wound up bad if that was my pan! Idk anything about panning.. interesting!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
FYI Gold retains it's gold color in direct and indirect light. If what you have loses it's color it's not gold.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread