BEST OUTFITTER TENTS FOR COLD WEATHER

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Where The Four Winds Blow
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone have any suggestions for the best outfitter tents for cold weather camping. I'm going to be checking out some claims early this spring & may have to deal with some snow & heavy rain at times. I will need a good tent for the wife & myself. Also, what is your opinion on stove jacks & a good stove to use? We will need something to cook on as well as heat with. The wife & I always top off the evening with some Jack before turning in. I will be taking my old military H 1 & our Colts into the locations but may have to pack things in depending on the access. I've got several offers & have found a couple more on the web so the first step is to get boots on the ground & have a look at the lay of the land before bringing in an excavator.

Upvote 0

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OP said he was looking for the best outfitter grade winter tents not the cheapest way to get by. If you come to alaska and look at tents trappers spend their winter nights in and late season guides use for their hunters you wont find many cheap tents. You will find predominatly arctic ovens and a few others. When your life is on the line and you cant just walk back to your truck if you get cold the best is more than worth it!
The way I see it. Unless you have a heat source it's gonna be the exact same temp inside the fancy tent as it will be out side. Paying 1k for a wind break...

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
The way I see it. Unless you have a heat source it's gonna be the exact same temp inside the fancy tent as it will be out side. Paying 1k for a wind break...

They are indeed set up for wood stoves and double walled. To each his own and good luck��

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
This my choice, View attachment 1801378 A T.P. 15ft and larger can have fire pit in side. The sides of the T.P. reflect the heat back down to keep you warm and unlike all other tents out there, this design has been used successfully for many hundreds of years in the lower 48 not in Alaska but I hear that the Igloo works well up there.

About the only igloos you will find in any gold bearing area of alaska are in movies made by folks who have never been there�� But I do love a tipi! Very efficient design.

OP
OP
S

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the help with tents. Yes, we still will most likely buy one for early season testing because we'll never get an RV up to the mine that early. Five miles of bad road.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is the tent system I have and use when I go to my claims in N.California 230618.jpg

OP
OP
S

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm kind of leaning towards the Montana tents. We will only need them for maybe 4 - 6 wks. So it will be the 3 of us & a small film crew of two people to document the initials set up of equipment. We won't be able to get campers up that 5 mile mine rd that early in the season. So we'll pack everything in with snowmobiles pulling sleds. I think 3 cabin tents - one for us, one for the camera people, maybe one for dining. That's another issue - how to protect the food while we're there. We want to be up there starting the project late April & have everything ready for the rest of the crew & production team no later than June 1st. A little worried about the bear & staying safe in those tents.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep a few empty beer cans with some rocks in them. Give them a rattle and bears run. As long as they are not too domesticated like Tahoe bears are, they are just as scared of people as people are of them. Having a generator and small chest freezer should be good for food storage. Some Yeti type coolers would be good too. You can keep them in the rafters of the shed.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Kitchen goes where you want the bear(s) to hunt grease and food odors.
That's not near your sleeping quarters.

Cache keeps foodstuffs out of reach.
Good hydraulics? Run a steel drum with a lid , up in a hoe or loader bucket.
Traditional North country camps saw/see elevated cache huts . They are not immune to all critters .

If you are going to leave sleds ,or nor reuse them , they could be made with reusable timber/boards for other projects. A tent floor for example.

Sleds work best on groomed trails.
Deliberate icing was once used to reduce resistance and floundering.
Till the trail falls out (thaws) much can be skidded.
I should have taken pics of a sort of groomer I'd built out of industrial bucket wear blades/edges.
Around six inch wide blades several feet long. Two of them stood one edge and hinged together up front , spread like a triangle with a cross piece mid-span.
It was dragged on the dirt road ,but my welds broke at the hinge on one side. (The hard steel should have been drilled or holes blown through with a torch as it was brittle .)
A wood one with some weight might work on snow to encourage a firm base of ice. I just plow now and get a good base,till a good thaw. Image-3.jpg

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The drug cartel here spends a lot of time living in the woods. They take a smaller drum barrel and bury it in the ground. That is their food storage area. The bear can’t pry the lid off and it keeps the things cool. Of course they just poison the bears when they become a problem.

That’s not many horses pulling that load..must have been an icy road.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions