BEST OUTFITTER TENTS FOR COLD WEATHER

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Where The Four Winds Blow
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone have any suggestions for the best outfitter tents for cold weather camping. I'm going to be checking out some claims early this spring & may have to deal with some snow & heavy rain at times. I will need a good tent for the wife & myself. Also, what is your opinion on stove jacks & a good stove to use? We will need something to cook on as well as heat with. The wife & I always top off the evening with some Jack before turning in. I will be taking my old military H 1 & our Colts into the locations but may have to pack things in depending on the access. I've got several offers & have found a couple more on the web so the first step is to get boots on the ground & have a look at the lay of the land before bringing in an excavator.

Upvote 0

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have any suggestions for the best outfitter tents for cold weather camping. I'm going to be checking out some claims early this spring & may have to deal with some snow & heavy rain at times. I will need a good tent for the wife & myself. Also, what is your opinion on stove jacks & a good stove to use? We will need something to cook on as well as heat with. The wife & I always top off the evening with some Jack before turning in. I will be taking my old military H 1 & our Colts into the locations but may have to pack things in depending on the access. I've got several offers & have found a couple more on the web so the first step is to get boots on the ground & have a look at the lay of the land before bringing in an excavator.

I do not know what your budget is but the Barebones outfitter tent is a good one with a Colorado Cylinder stove is a very high quality and will take abuse and last a long time both products I believe can be purchased thru Sportsmans Warehouse..

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, we will check into that one. My wife & I like to shoot guns & when the day is over drink good whiskey. Once we have an operation in place we will have an open invite to everyone on TNET that can come to a huge party we are planning. Beef & pork BBQ & all the beer & whiskey you can drink. It will be a blast.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My wife & I like to shoot guns & when the day is over drink good whiskey.

Not at the same time, I hope!.. shoot.gif

OP
OP
S

Silveraith

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife & I shoot with Colt King Cobra's. She's a better shot than me. As a matter of fact, she can out shoot, out drink, & out fight most men & that's no kidding. I also like to shoot my WW2 era Thompson 50 cal machine gun. Lots of fun.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• Phoenix31212 275.jpg
    Phoenix31212 275.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
  • vfr 184.jpg
    vfr 184.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 64

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Hard tellin...
Panther Primitives is a good company site to browse. I'll add a link to another outfit too.
But a search for historic white canvas will bring up multiple others too.

Canvas treatment with a fire ******ant is a must for your desired use.
The toughest part will be choosing a style and size shelter.
Canvas is heavy. More so with decent canvas weights...

I've a lighter commercial 8X10 out of the seventies that is more than I'd carry today.
Which makes me wonder about an officers tent or similar for your use. (?)

I lean toward thoughts of old styles due to no zippers to fail ect.

A soil flap /extended wall edges help to put a tarp over for a floor to keep air flow out in cold weather. A sewn in floor would too of course.

Double tents (one of the same size inside the other) have been used in cold weather , but there's the weight and expense to consider.
I've been content to put a tarp over the roof.

Winter camps I used a kerosene heater.
Lots of stoves to choose from , but portability vs efficiency has to be weighed. As does fuel in snow or rain.
A Kni-Co Trekker I'd look for reviews on , but it's close to where I'd lean for weight and size in a small tent. There are likely better offerings , but budget and weight might factor (?)

A well insulated fart sack/sleeping bag on top of an air mattress (other non leaking potential pads exist, I like the air for extended use) with good wool between them made sleeping without heater burning tolerable.
Just don't wear much clothing in the bag and create sweat. And air and dry bedding daily.
Should emergency arise and no supplemental heat be run , it's better to have an effective bedroll, just in case.

http://www.pantherprimitives.com/

https://tentsmiths.com/

Last edited:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have experience with wall tents if that is what you are interested in using. My Colorado tent is a 8'x10' with 5' walls and a waterproof separate floor. I would recommend the 5' walls versus anything shorter for obvious reasons. The front is a heavy duty zipper that I never had a problem with. (knocking on wood). It also has a waterproof rain fly that has held up to about a foot of snow. I don't recommend that much weight so obviously keep that cleaned off. I manufactured a 10' "porch" to extend the rain fly for storage of firewood and gear. I use a foldable flat top stove to keep it cozy and to do some cooking on, but also use a propane stove for cooking. I believe the tent alone weighs 50 lbs. so this is not really a backpacking style of outfit. I used my "stumpjumper" pickup or horses to get to the backcountry to hunt mostly deer and elk. Best of luck on your adventure!

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For the same money you could build a school bus with a wood stove, keep everything secured and locked up, a hard shell and already insulated. You dont have to pull up stakes and take it down only to set it back up at the next place like a tent.
It will never rot away or fall apart like a tent and theres nothing to catch fire. If you can get an excavator and dump truck in, you can get a bus in there.
You'll never want another tent.
I've been in mine for over 10 years now, best RV I've ever had. They are built to roll down mountains with children inside!
They are all but bulletproof.

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
everything I see online is $$$ those artic tents are like 2k lol. I'm thinking of buying a cheap mini/tent wood stove off Amazon for 150. or I may just make one later.. I think I'll buy a cheap tent and just cut a hole in it for the stove pipe. If anybody can post a link to a reasonably priced option that would be great.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
everything I see online is $$$ those artic tents are like 2k lol. I'm thinking of buying a cheap mini/tent wood stove off Amazon for 150. or I may just make one later.. I think I'll buy a cheap tent and just cut a hole in it for the stove pipe. If anybody can post a link to a reasonably priced option that would be great.

The OP said he was looking for the best outfitter grade winter tents not the cheapest way to get by. If you come to alaska and look at tents trappers spend their winter nights in and late season guides use for their hunters you wont find many cheap tents. You will find predominatly arctic ovens and a few others. When your life is on the line and you cant just walk back to your truck if you get cold the best is more than worth it!

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This my choice, 6901-900x900tp.jpg A T.P. 15ft and larger can have fire pit in side. The sides of the T.P. reflect the heat back down to keep you warm and unlike all other tents out there, this design has been used successfully for many hundreds of years in the lower 48 not in Alaska but I hear that the Igloo works well up there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread