How to break rocks underwater - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: How to break rocks underwater

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Look at the Historical Gold Mining photo albums on my page

Jan 2013
    Huntington, Or./ Stanton, AZ/ former Outlaw California Gold Dredger
    Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
    4227 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by N-Lionberger View Post
    Reed you can run a sierra blaster underwater?
    yup
    russau likes this.

You can't outlaw nature.

Jul 2014
    Northern CA
    73 times
    Prospecting
    There is no way to wrap anything around the rock that is stuck. It is wedged in such a way that the force of the rock was pushed and is practically seamless with the bedrock on each side. Obviously I can see there the two rocks meet and touch but I cannot get any tools in between. I need to crack the edges / center somehow. Ill look into the Sierra Blaster but a come along and strap arent going to do it unfortunately.

RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    15459 times
    rickb2202 likes this.

us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    2503 times
    Prospecting
    If you cable pull it be sure to drape blankets over your cable (in the air) it will make it so if the cable snaps it won't whip lash back to you...a very dangerous situation! We use a "geared" big hand boat crank and have chains and a webbed boulder draped puller.

Bejay
    Clay Diggins, Honkey3k and russau like this.

us
    Mine President, XPBC, XGIH, GDR, stamp mill operator, snuffer bottle owner/operator.

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Dowsing rods
    1017 times
    Prospecting
    On page 34 of Advanced Dredging Techniques volume 2 it describes opening a boulder bound hole, tight packed rocked that cannot be grabbed by a sling. It talks of using a slide hammer to drill a hole to attach a modified eye bolt. An A frame hoist is used to yank the rock up and out.
    SunshineMiner and Honkey3k like this.

us
    Soakin' Up the Sunshine

Jun 2014
    Someplace Sunny, California
    Garrett Infinium LS
    251 times
    Prospecting
    Two of these - https://www.harborfreight.com/6000-l...rap-61226.html

1 around an anchor(such as a suitable tree), the other around the boulder(if you can get around it), other wise search for something similar to this https://www.rescueresponse.com/shop/cmc-1-flat-webbing/

And one of these bad boys.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ler-69855.html

You'd rather have you're straps fail before your pulley!

Edit - Sorry Honkey.. I can't read apparently
    Last edited by SunshineMiner; Feb 08, 2020 at 03:30 PM.
    Honkey3k likes this.

us
    Aug 2010
    Maine USA
    349 times
    I would recommend synthetic winch cable. It is just as strong as steel, does not stretch with load and is much lighter making it much safer if it breaks under load.

Feb 2014
    2292 times
    Quote Originally Posted by placertogo View Post
    I would recommend synthetic winch cable. It is just as strong as steel, does not stretch with load and is much lighter making it much safer if it breaks under load.
    If possible I would stay away from synthetic winch cable in typical mining operations. It is very fragile if not handled with care. It is very susceptible to abrasion and does not like have grit in the fibers. Maybe for one pull but the the cost of the synthetic may not justify it. If you are in an extreme remote area then maybe but your call. Steel sucks to carry but the cost, and the fact you'll only buy it once has once, has its advantages.

YMMV
    Reed Lukens and russau like this.
    Never confuse motion with progress

Illegitimi non carborundum

You can't outlaw nature.

Jul 2014
    Northern CA
    73 times
    Prospecting
    Now I need to decide whether or not to get a thicker wetsuit and full face mask and attack it now while the water is relatively low or wait for summer..... Ive been thinking about this damn rock since October

Feb 2014
    2292 times
    3k how fast is the water? The faster the water the more "I" would stay away from the full mask. It's a lot easier if you loose your face gear to clear just a regulator to get a breath and then worry about getting mask back on. With a full mask you might not have enough air to clear the whole thing just to get air
    Clay Diggins and russau like this.
    Never confuse motion with progress

Illegitimi non carborundum

You can't outlaw nature.

Jul 2014
    Northern CA
    73 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ratled View Post
    3k how fast is the water? The faster the water the more "I" would stay away from the full mask. It's a lot easier if you loose your face gear to clear just a regulator to get a breath and then worry about getting mask back on. With a full mask you might not have enough air to clear the whole thing just to get air
    Not sure of exact temperature but this time of year it is cold enough to sting - it is very painful after a minute or so in the water. This time of year I have to pan with neoprene gloves or forget about it!

Aug 2015
    Northeastern Sierra's
    1319 times
    That's everywhere in the Sierras. Last year in July I couldn't grip the tab on my fly to drop trou to pee. Almost got ugly.

us
    Blastrer

Apr 2020
    Southern California
    75 times
    Prospecting
    I would second the suggestion for using the Sierra Blaster. You can break a rock that size with one charge from a micro blaster.

Depending on how deep the stream is, you could also drill some 5/8" with the drill located on the surface, using a long drill bit. Then you can either feathers and wedges.

You can also get a Tirfor winch and haul it out by hand in one piece if it's really that big and not stuck in the sand.
    Honkey3k likes this.

us
    gravelSucker

Aug 2011
    NY, AZ & NV
    Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike.
    205 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Reed Lukens View Post
    Sounds pretty small from your dimensions but still, you can easily drill and blast any size rock out of your way. An underwater battery powered sds plus and one charge with a sierra blaster is simple.
    The Fish and Wildlife folks will eat you alive for blasting in a waterway. The concussion, shock wave, and sound is conducted efficiently through a dense medium, such as water. The upside, fish for lunch or dinner.
    Don't

us
    gravelSucker

Aug 2011
    NY, AZ & NV
    Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike.
    205 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Reed Lukens View Post
    Sounds pretty small from your dimensions but still, you can easily drill and blast any size rock out of your way. An underwater battery powered sds plus and one charge with a sierra blaster is simple.
    First of all the Fish and Game folks will eat you alive. An act like that will definitely give the tree huggers more ammo to shoot at us. The upside is wholesome nutrition... fresh fish for lunch or dinner. I personally would use a cheap electric winch from Harbor Freight, some chain to anchor to a tree or whatever, and winch the boulder out of the way.

The blasting idea leaves you some simple choices... six men to bear your coffin or twelve men/women to act as a jury.
    Don't

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links