How to break rocks underwater

Honkey3k

Jul 14, 2014
Northern CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Morning,

Last summer I found a honey hole while sniping. There was a 'V' shape that the side of the river ran through and I was able to pull out a few grams of gold while digging down into this 'V' formation in the bed rock. As I dug down I found a 3ft wide x 2ft long x approx 8" thick rock that is blocking the center of the 'V' (thats what she said). I had a 4ft pry bar but was unable to move the rock. The location makes it particularly difficult to get to since I have to dive down about 4ft to get to the area to work. This summer I'll bring a come along down with a strap to see if I can break it loose.

Do you guys have any recommendations on how to break larger rocks underwater?

Upvote 0

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best bet IMO is to use an old tire chain and a winch. You can get old chains on any highway where the snow flies. Seems some truckers can't put them on right. A come along may not have the strength to move larger rocks. Dig around your boulder as best you can, then give it a yank. It may dislodge and you'll be able to pull it out of your way.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Use a single jack and a gad or moil on one edge...or if you just want to move it try to lift one edge a bit and keep adding smaller rocks underneath.Not much fun getting pinned under a big slab as happened to me in the late 1970's.A weight belt will make you less buoyant.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Best bet IMO is to use an old tire chain and a winch. You can get old chains on any highway where the snow flies. Seems some truckers can't put them on right. A come along may not have the strength to move larger rocks. Dig around your boulder as best you can, then give it a yank. It may dislodge and you'll be able to pull it out of your way."

+1 on mechanical advantage. A rock that small could be moved with a come a long and maybe even a 5' bar.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds pretty small from your dimensions but still, you can easily drill and blast any size rock out of your way. An underwater battery powered sds plus and one charge with a sierra blaster is simple.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drill and winch.

OP
OP
H

Honkey3k

Jul 14, 2014
Northern CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds pretty small from your dimensions but still, you can easily drill and blast any size rock out of your way. An underwater battery powered sds plus and one charge with a sierra blaster is simple.

I was unable to break it loose with a 4ft breaker bar and 3lb sledge. What is an SDS?

jcc

Nov 15, 2018
Portage, MI
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TR550-D
Primary Interest:
Other
SDS refers to the drill bit end fits into an SDS chuck I am guessing.

Underwater drill on ebay shows Nemo Power tools to 164 feet starting at $800 or so.

I might buy an SDS chuck, a harbor freight pneumatic drill (consider it a throw away) and haul in a gas powered air compressor, might be cheaper, depends on how easy the site is to get to.

Sounds like fun.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are explosives out of the question?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just thinking out of the box here.....might you be able to fit a small hydraulic jack under the rock? A few strokes may loosen it up enough so you can move it out of your way.

Good luck.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are explosives out of the question?

It is probably a trout stream so yes. On the other hand......be sure and set a seine down stream to collect all the fish.8-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Honkey3k

Jul 14, 2014
Northern CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is no way to wrap anything around the rock that is stuck. It is wedged in such a way that the force of the rock was pushed and is practically seamless with the bedrock on each side. Obviously I can see there the two rocks meet and touch but I cannot get any tools in between. I need to crack the edges / center somehow. Ill look into the Sierra Blaster but a come along and strap arent going to do it unfortunately.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you cable pull it be sure to drape blankets over your cable (in the air) it will make it so if the cable snaps it won't whip lash back to you...a very dangerous situation! We use a "geared" big hand boat crank and have chains and a webbed boulder draped puller.

Bejay

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On page 34 of Advanced Dredging Techniques volume 2 it describes opening a boulder bound hole, tight packed rocked that cannot be grabbed by a sling. It talks of using a slide hammer to drill a hole to attach a modified eye bolt. An A frame hoist is used to yank the rock up and out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread