Dry Ravines - Page 5
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Dry Ravines

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10730 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Clay..sometimes your lazy with your googling..which is in stark contrast with the information you provide that is mining related.

Look further..they have a half dozen mountains listed at over 4500Ft

Anyway...a tradition excavator can slide its way down some pretty steep hills, but they are not much good at climbing that kind of stuff. They have very heavy counter weights in order to reach out so far and dig yards at a time at full extension on a slope.
    They have to follow the dozer up the hillside.
    English is a funny language. It's 2781 feet from the lowest point at the base of Spruce Knob to the summit. As I wrote:
    Spruce Knob, goes up nearly 2800 feet.
    Nothing in my post was about elevation above sea level. Sea level is a pretty poor indicator of relative height. My brother has a hill next to his house that's 5,721 feet above sea level but a 90 year old man could "climb" the hill in less than 10 seconds.

I did google the distance up Spruce Knob but it's not all internet "fact". I actually "climbed" Spruce Knob with a girlfriend in 1972. Pretty country there. Pretty girl too. It was a good time.

I'm not comfortable with excavators that "slide". I might like to watch from a distance though.

Heavy Pans
    Rail Dawg and Goldwasher like this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12520 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I've seen lil' excavators do really neat things . A good operator can get one of a trailer and back on no ramps..

Bucket climbing is a must in hill country.

Notice I never said we don't use an excavator.

We just aren't bringing it to every spot we hit gold.

Clay knows some of what we've been up to. A couple members here have seen it.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

Mar 2016
    3681 times
    Clay - DANG IT!

English is my first and only language.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Jan 31, 2020 at 09:56 AM.
    Goldwasher and Clay Diggins like this.
    This Communication HEREBY Serves as OFFICIAL NOTICE That All Messages in This Thread Have Been REVIEWED. FURTHERMORE, All Messages of Positive Nature SHALL IRREVOCABLY Be Considered "LIKED" INSOFAR as Applicable to This Forum. FINALLY, All Discrimination is Strictly PROHIBITED.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12520 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAUDIGGER View Post
    Clay - DANG IT!

English is my first and only language.
    He's the worst gotta watch out for mapmakers.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sponsored Links