North Carolina Gold?

Oct 6, 2007
Montana
I've never found anything that far west as far as "pay to dig" locations. However there are a few places around Marion, at Vein Mountain and Thermal City right on 221 south. You can pretty much find gold just about anywhere in NC if you take the time to dig for it. You can explore many creeks in the Nantahala and Pisgah National Forest. You can find flower gold pretty easily in the top 2 foot of overburdan but the better gold will be down at the bedrock which may be 5 or 6 feet down.
Remember you can pan and sluice in the National Forest w/o worry but if you plan to use a dredge or high banker, you will have to get permits from the Forestry Service and/or BLM.

Find a good productive creek in the area you want, stake a claim and you can set up your own "pay to dig" site ;)

ChuckNC

May 8, 2005
The nearest pay to play places I know of anywhere near there are around Franklin, NC. These are mainly gem mines, but I have panned some gold in the creeks there.

For real pay to pan, Hwy 221 South in Marion has a number of places, Thermal City, Heathers Grove, Vein Mtn. and others.

Chuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions